Please help!!! Ready to pull my hair out!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SpennyGTI

2003 seas gti le rfi new DESS post and battery, ignition module, when we put the key on post it blows a 5 amp fuse in the MPEM fuse block, any ideas or help would be great!!

Thanks

Im not an expert but your MPEM diode may be shot...Looks as though your mpem is similar to my 97 GSI... I just went thru this madness...
Check out my thread... Lots of good info including a fix....

97 GSI 5a Fuse

Yeah, I've never messed with an RFI but on carb skis the 5 amp blowing is usually a bad MPEM. You can try to replace the diode which is a pain or just get a used mpem which can be pricey.

If it doesn't blow the fuse until you put the DESS lanyard on, I doubt its the diodes. I would look at the circuit(s) that power up whenever you put the lanyard on like gauges, etc

If it doesn't blow the fuse until you put the DESS lanyard on, I doubt its the diodes. I would look at the circuit(s) that power up whenever you put the lanyard on like gauges, etc
Reason I suggested the diode... maybe OP doesnt realize the fuse blows prior to plugging in dess.. if it's more than whisper quiet when you hook up battery, the pop may not he heard...

Good point. What I'd do then is hook up the battery and then check the fuse prior to putting the lanyard on. If the fuse is blown, then I would agree that it is probably the diodes. If it is not blown, then reinstall the fuse and proceed to putting the lanyard on and check the fuse again to see if it's blown.

I now have two skis with electronic issues. :) I'm gonna get very proficient at this at some point. I have the ECM diode identified and lots of replacements for the 96 SPI. LOL It's ON !!
The GTX is acting up worse than previously. I'm hearing the Holder relay kick in when I insert the key, and again when I hit the start button but.... "no Start" No amount of massaging the key works at present. I am going to install a spare DESS post and see what happens. :D :D Sure is nice having lots of spare parts around. At least I don't have to wait 4 days for everything I try.

It was the diode I have it replaced. Now when I put my key on I get the normal 2 beeps, but as soon as I hit the start button I get 4 beeps and then the 2 regular ones any ideas, checked all the fuses and are all good

look up the manual for your ski. 4 beeps is also a reminder on a lot of early to mid 2000 skis that the lanyard is attached and ski is not started. It was a super annoying feature for a few years.

look up the manual for your ski. 4 beeps is also a reminder on a lot of early to mid 2000 skis that the lanyard is attached and ski is not started. It was a super annoying feature for a few years.
Was just about to say to find the service manual too

As soon as I hit the start stop button it starts with the 4 beeps and then back to 2 that it sees the key I’m lost on this one

In my manual for my 2003:

- You get 2 beeps when inserting the key.
- You get 4 beeps after you stop the engine and that you leave the key in.
- You get a long beep when there is a problem.

Long beep after 2 beeps means in order to try (still according to the operator manual):

- Key is defective (try another key);
- DESS post is defective, replace DESS post;
- MPEM has a problem.

Do you hear a long beep at all?

When you replaced your DESS post, there were 4 wires to reconnect including a wire that makes a stop through the start/stop button (if it is like my 2003). Did you reconnect everything correctly? Also, my start/stop button is almost worn out and I am afraid it will be next in line. Is yours OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back