RESTO Picked up my winter project 1996 XP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIMPLEARKANSAN

Premium Member
Premium Member
Picked this up yesterday for $100. Washed it and took some rubbing compound, followed by polish and then wax. Looks significantly better. It’s not running, appears to have an electrical problem of some sort. Scoped then cylinders and direct wired the starter and got 150 psi each cylinder. All of the electronics are disconnected and out of the ski. Have to reconnect everything. Impeller and wear ring all look good. Choke has been removed and a primer installed. It has a Pro Flow R&D Power Plenum air box and carbs appear to have possibly been sent to Jet Lab. The water regulator has been deleted as well as the oil pump. It still has all the gray fuel lines. Here’s a few pics. Will keep this thread updated.
bf3449123d3e980e29dcfcc9726fbe9f.jpg
34a80434492517353e8b353711d4475c.jpg
7cfd6c5aa2beffc1f69bf7ce0abd4722.jpg

I used the bleach soft scrub and power washer to rinse with a high powered tip, followed by a heat gun, then used McGuire’s cutting compound and a buffer with compound pad. I was surprised how well it turned out.

Nope, even the Seadoo racing handbook from 1996 kept the line to the water box but used jets to adjust the flow.

Not a racing guy at all, but I thought after 96 they decided that water regulation on the exhaust system would not be allowed. If this is how that machine is set up then for sure look into the sizes of the other water fittings and the hose routings to get it all back to stock when you get a regulator back on it.

As for running without it. I have to back out since I don't have any experience to give sound advice there.

BTW - Dang! 100 bucks for it! Good deal, I hope it is ripping up the water next season!

Was just looking around in the ski at some other things a little different than expected. This is the rear battery box on the XP and the second pic is from my 1996 GSX. The previous owner definitely made some changes?
e04c814678c313a281b0f38898e4a691.jpg
1c09e8dde732e5f2eda771b0fa6612e3.jpg

They posted opposite from my description. The top pic is from my 96 GSX and the bottom
Pic is the 96 XP. Both have the 787.

No wonder the ski had electrical problems. I also looked at the front electrical box and compared it to my GSX. Both have 787 engines and both 1996. Completely different wire coloring. Should they be different? I will most like pull everything out and start from scratch

Ok, thanks. I was thinking they had removed some of the wiring. Are the rear electrical boxes the same? I can figure out why they did what they did to the original wiring in the rear box.

No clue what they did but it's a mess.
As many of the 96' XP's that are around and parted out it would be much easier to just get a good used box and harness from Nick or Jess at Westside Powersports Seadoo and be done with that mess.

Yes, I will be replacing both boxes and be done with all that. Now I've got to figure out the whole cooling fiasco. Since they deleted the water regulator and the hose that leaves the head and dumps out back of the ski is completely missing.

I removed carbs tonight to clean and rebuild. They had an aftermarket air filter. Are these standard 787 carbs? I figure they have different jets with the air filter. It’s been a while since I had my carbs off my 96 GSX, but I didn’t remember them being this same size.

Last edited:
Is that an ultrasonic cleaner? If so, I am jealous that your is so big! Insert off color jokes here..... I can only fit one carb at a time in mine. I really want to get one big enough to do engine cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back