Out of the hole good then dies

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

hwoolfolk

Put a new ski I have in the water for the first time. 2001 GTI.... Idles.. everything seems good until you take off. It starts like it is normal then it dies at about 20mph.

1- Should I siphon all the old gas (was told it was treated when winterized) and start over? Could that be it? (gonna purge the fuel anyway)

Thanks!

YES. gas goes bad in 3-4 weeks. Siphon out & new, dribble alittle in carbs to start.

Mark the oil tank to be sure it is drinking, when ownership changes seldom does anyone ask about the oil, 2stroke oil often forms a gel that blocks the nozzles which can be flushed with kerosene and then find the right oil and stay with a brand so you do not have to do this often, use premix in 5gallon loads till you see the oil system drinking then just gas and go.

ok.. so...

- replace the fuel.. not a problem. But tell me.. stabilizing the fuel when winterizing doesnt last ?

- fuel filter.. can I put in any in-line fuel filter? does it really matter?

- Oil.. mark the tank with a sharpie and make sure the engine is drawing from it? ALSO run pre-mix? Wont that be too much oil fouling the plugs?

Fuel ratio is 50-1?

Are these possible causes for my issue? which is starting fine.. good out of the hole then dies at 20-25 mph? son also tells me that it can not sustain a steady speed at 10mph before it will die.

Thanks!

ok.. so...

- replace the fuel.. not a problem. But tell me.. stabilizing the fuel when winterizing doesnt last ?

Yes it should. Open the tank, and give it a sniff. You can tell when it starts to turn to varnish.

All of my life Ive heard the fuel goes bad in a short time. And to a point, I agree. But all of my stuff started just fine this spring. Honistly... bad fuel is rarely the issue. (unless it's been over a year)

- fuel filter.. can I put in any in-line fuel filter? does it really matter?

Yes, You can use any 1/4" filter you like. I prefer one you can see into, so you can tell when it needs changed.

- Oil.. mark the tank with a sharpie and make sure the engine is drawing from it? ALSO run pre-mix? Wont that be too much oil fouling the plugs?

Fuel ratio is 50-1?

Since the ski is new to you... It doesn't hurt to make sure things are working. Running the pre-mix for a tank won't hurt. Yes, add enough oil to go to 50:1. You may foul a set of plugs, but most likely, you will be fine. If the injection pump is working... you will wind up at 32:1.

Are these possible causes for my issue? which is starting fine.. good out of the hole then dies at 20-25 mph? son also tells me that it can not sustain a steady speed at 10mph before it will die.

Thanks!

Nope... none of that is your problem. (unless the fuel is skunk'ed) You problem is simple. It's fuel starvation. It could be a plugged filter, a leaky fuel select valve... or most likely... The main jet in the carb is plugged up.

do you still have gray fuel lines? they are known to die, and they plug the system with green goo.

If you do... replace them, and clean everything out.

I read somewhere else in this forum someone referring to grey fuel lines. I cant recall if the are grey or not but will certainly look.

Can the main jet be blown out or replaced? is it a simple task? I have an old tigershark... fixing that ski people have warned about carb cleaner... that with 2 stroke engines it is not adviseable. Agree??

Ill replace the fuel anyway because the ski wasnt used much at all last year. A clean start is peace of mind.

Thanks so much

Last edited by a moderator:
Update...

- Fuel filter is stock SeaDoo. Mounted under the fron hatch, very easy to access. Was clean. Considering a new O-ring for the bowl. Sucking air would cause my problem... right?

- Grey fuel lines.. yup. I saw a SeaDoo bulliten about fuel lines deteriorating. Probably the grey ones. Im guessing it is advisable to replace them?

Main Jet.. can anyone point out a tutorial about cleaning that?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back