RESTO Our 1st 951 ever!!! Resto

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's see a pic with that engine in the hull! :)

Also, just curious, for your new engines, how do you do your break in? Just curious.

Here you go. Just need to put on the rubber flap things over the air intake

On the break in, we add oil to the gas, and just go easy on the motor for the first 5-10 hrs. Never going over 3/4 throttle and going in and out of the throttle so that you dont hold one constant rpm for too long.

Just found this. Wsm makes replacement pto's for this. The 98 xpl pto is a hard part to find and always goes for over $100 used. These are on ebay for $65 shipped, could have used one of these a month ago.

Yes they just came out with those billet ones. They have them for the 97XP also. I need the rare 96 HX pto so I'm watching to see if they come out with that as well.

So I added a new xp decal across the deflector. I just thought all that black needed to be broken up a bit.

Now for how it ran.
Day 1: started up idled fine but low rpms. When ever I stabbed the throttle she stumbled. If I slowly climbed rpms it would be fine. If i let off the throttle she would die. Pulled it out, checked the plugs. Rear plug chocolate but the front plug was white.

Day 2: bump up the idle turn the low out 1/2 turn. Ran perfect..... Nice throttle responce, smooth idle. Ran this way for a good hour. On the way back in about 1/4 mile from the dock it just stop. No hesitation or anything, almost like you pulled the lanyard off. Feel the motor, it is cool. Check all conections, looked fine. After countless failed attemps at starting we towed her in.

Get it on the trailer, pull the plugs and beautiful red oil comes pouring out. Immediately check the oil pump, the hoses are all attached, no slices. Check nipples on the intakes, they are fine too. Check oil pump again, no bleeder screw. It backed out and leaked out a good quart of oil. Now I am worried the motor may have siezed. Pull the plugs and they both look good. Rotate motor and she turns fine. Luckily the oil lines were all still full and my gas has a bunch of mixed oil too.

So there is still a problem though. It wont start. It turns over well but doesnt even try to fire. So we checked the battery.... 10.8 volts. We put in a battery with 13.2 volts, still no luck. We check for spark, and no spark.

Now we swap coils, still no spark... Only 2 things left, the stator or the mpem blew.
I have a spare stator, hopefully that is it because I do not want to spend anymore on this.

Mhmm. I am a rookie but the last time I had no spark on my 96 XP, it was the CDI. But I am sure someone will chime in.

Ok looks like it is the mpem:facepalm:

The mpem is grounded. To make sure I checked the ground from the block to the mpem. Checked ground from mpem to coil and that was fine. Checked all grounds for continuity and they are all fine. Cleaned all grounds. Ran a bolt through the coil ground and got rid of the oem nasty one. Checked all fuses.

Checked battery, it was at 11.6 but it was good enough to fire a 96xp right up. Also swapped out batteries before with one that was 13.6.

Changed out stator, still no spark.
This is the one that was in there.

The pickup looks great

Changed out the coil, stillno spark.

Clipped back the wires and nothing.

We did get very weak spark every now and then on the mag, never on the pto side though.

All that is left is the mpem. I wish i had one just to test before buying one.

I have a 98 MPEM for sale I'll send to ya to test out if you pay shipping. If it works you can buy, if not then just cover shipping back to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thank you [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] :thumbsup:. This is running like a champ thanks to the mpem We bought off of Matt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back