Opinions on newer Sea-Doo and leaving it in the water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ne1

Been thinking about upgrading to a newer seadoo. Actually talking myself into potentially a brand new unit.

I know it's preferable to never leave a Seadoo in the water. But in my case I have a cottage on the lake, don't always have a reliable extra person to assist at the ramp. So I tend to want to leave my boats tied to the dock. Local dealer has a GTI 130 SE and a GTI SE in stock. I like the idea of the bigger motor, although the lake is nothing I need to do much over 40MPH on. I keep thinking maybe the plastic hull of the GTI SE would fair better over time leaving in it water.

A lift or ramp isn't a great option because of the lake bed composition and the multiple agencies that control what you can and can't do (permits to outright no's)

Thoughts?

Thanks

Mine (GTI 90 2018) is in the water all the time and as long as you keep an eye on it every day, I do not see any problem with that. I also live by the lake full time. Make sure your dock is safe against wake boats and big waves not to damage your ski. I also check inside the hull every couple days just to make sure there is no sign of water in it. Gee, even my old GTI 2003 is in the water all summer long!

I love my ski being on the water: if I decide it is time for a ride, well less than five minutes later, I'm on it!!!

Keep the bow into the lake or the waves, you can flood the engine otherwise. there is a hose you can pinch off to prevent this if you cannot keep it in the right direction. Leaking carbon seals are a problem also, installing a bilge pump is a good idea if you plan on leaving it in the water.

your jet pump is gonna fail pretty fast if its in the water all summer long. If it was my ski, I would be taking apart the pump and replacing O-rings and grease at the end of every season.

From what I understand, your ski sits on salt water?

Why are people so afraid to leave their skis in the water? We have plenty here in pristine fresh water and in three years, I only saw one ski that had taken water (an older model and that the owner did not took care of for more than a week so he saw it coming IMO).

Anyone with very bad experiences? Of course, I would never let my ski stand in salt water, not even for one night. Not even sure I would like to ride is salt water although it must be kind of cool.

The cost of repair if it sinks is astronomical and probably a write off. Taking preventative measures is a good idea, however if you like to roll the dice))))

Should clarify that it’s in a fresh water lake. I know older fibreglass boats can develop blisters on their hulls (osmosis). Not sure if anyone has seen this on a PWC

I have never seen a sunk Sea-Doo of my life yet... Of course, I keep an eye on it every day and frequently, I inspect the hull for traces of water. Unless something breaks completely and suddenly, I can hardly imagine that a new Sea-Doo could experience a catastrophic failure and sink in a matter of hours. I am a little more worried for my old 2003 but in 15 years (my ownership and my cousin's), it never sank being in the water all of these summers!

This is why I am calling on people to share their experience for my benefit and the benefit of the original poster. Should I have to take my ski in the water after every usage, I would not be riding often as my land doesn't allow me to take it out of the water nor put a boat lift (if freezes like hell over here six months a year).

And on that subject, I am checking with my insurer to see if my coverage includes sinking. It's a good time to get to the bottom of this (no bad joke intended). :)

The carbon seal leaks by design. It keeps it cool. Some leak more than others. Because of this, ANY Seadoo built since 1996 is not rated to be left in the water. (other than the '99 to '05 Mercury boats)

So... roll the dice if you want. For me... it will come out of the water.

My lake is fresh water, and our cottage is in a very calm bay, so I'll be leaving mine in the water for the remainder of the summer, but next year I'll look for one of those ramps you can drive up on likely... Also, I have no clue how the previous owner stored it in the summer, but the machine does seem immaculately clean for 11 years old, so he probably had a lift.

Why can the jet pump go bad for leaving it in too long?

My operator manual says to inspect at every 100 hours:

"Inspect carbon ring and drive shaft rubber boot (more frequently when using PWC in foul or dirt water) (If applicable)"

and:

WATER FOUND IN BILGE
1. Bailer system malfunction.
– Have system inspected by an authorized Sea-Doo dealer.
2. Exhaust system leak.
– Refer to an authorized Sea-Doo dealer.
3. Carbon ring at drive shaft worn.
– Refer to an authorized Sea-Doo dealer

Nothing else.

The jet pump is more prone to failure by having it sit in the water all the time. Man made objects get beat to hell in water. If it were mine, I would be doing that at the end of every season. Paying $25 for jet pump grease and o-rings every year is cheap insurance.

Jet Pump failure: Update

Here's what that $25 is trying to prevent

Correct. When I said all summer I really meant middle of June to middle of September at max. Short season in some parts of Canada

Unless you're a freak like me... But then that night my 2003 ski was in the water for less than 15 minutes... Boy was it cold!

IMG_1185.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back