One of the cooling exhaust has more pressure than the other, is this normal?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justy23

Hello, yesterday I had my first experience in the water with My 2001 Challenger with a Mercury 200. I notice that at idle speed the engine sounds like pistoning if this is normal? or could be the fuel (not been premium). In addition I notice that one of the exhaust tubes has more pressure than the other. Is this normal? in general terms the boat ran well.

Not sure what you mean by "pistoning". Also, what tubes? The big ones between the expansion chamber and the mufflers?

Hello Dr. Honda
I mean the big tubes coming out from the mufflers under the swim platform I think this is the exhaust discharge. The right side when viewed from behind does not have a lot of pressure when compared with the other. This is when the boat is in the water. By pistoning I mean that at idle speed in the water I heard like a metal sound in the engine. It disappears when I accelerate the engine. In the cars a sound like this sometimes means a bad fuel or a low octane fuel.

Ok. The sound is normally called "knock". Knowing you were asking about the ignition timing... I would recommend checking it. Too much timing WILL burn holes in the pistons.

As far as a visual on the exist... that's not a real measure of anything. If you think there is a problem... check the engine compression, and make sure the large rubber hoses have not delaminated. (you will have to remove them, and look inside)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back