Oil type for 4TEC SCIC

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lightningtruck

Ok, gotta change oil on my 05 Challenger with the 215hp SCIC 4TEC. I know BRP called out mineral oil with SG, SH or SJ API ratings so as to not kill the ceramic washers in the supercharger. I swapped out the washers last summer to tool steel ones and things are going great. And I read that BRP is now recommending synthetic blend oil for the superchaged 4TECs. Hmmmm. I'm still not so sure I want to run that, and would like to stick with mineral oil. But there 4-TEC XPS mineral oil is no longer in production.

So I walk in to the local dealership to find Yamalube 4W, 10W-40 for 4-stroke Yamaha PWCs and jet boats. 20 bucks a gallon. Mineral oil. Counter guy gave me a bunch of grief over looking at that. Wanted to sell me the new XPS semi-synthetic for 40 bucks a gallon instead. Would the Yamalube 4W not work? It's 10W-40 for marine appilcations with the extra anti-rust inhibitors and such, similar application, but just called "Yamalube". Comment was "nobody runs Yamalube in SeaDoos." Why not? Needless to say, I left without buying oil. Shoot, maybe he was helping me out.....dunno.

Other thought is that I should just stop at WalMart and get some 10W-40 Castrol mineral oil. It's SN rated, which supercedes the SG, SH or SJ, so I should be good there, right?

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using Castrol GTX 10w40 non-synthetic in all the skis' and boats I service for 9 years now. It works great. I wouldn't dream of using anything else nor would my customers want me to. :cheers:

take a look at motorcycle oil or any oil that is JASO MA approved. It's been beaten to death on most boards. This year I switching from Mobil 1 4T to Rotella T6 Full Syn diesel oil. The motorcycle guys swear buy it. Talk to a gearhead at work and he treats his toys better tahn most parents treat their kids. He puts it in his stuff.

Thanks guys. We have options. :)

I am officially done going to that dealership. I never liked them in the first place, but now I'm really done.

Yes BRP seems to use synthetic blend everywhere now even when their manuals (mine Challenger180 SE) call for mineral. I expect there are many oils which will work fine at half the price of BRP. On the other hand I paid $30k for the boat and cost of oil is nothing compared to the boat and the gas, so saving $20 bucks once a year may be insignificant compared to the doubt in your mind whether an alternate may hurt your baby.

James..... i couldnt have said it better my self! i have been using the BRP blend like it says too and i have no problems... and i sleep better at night! ;) i dont wanna seem my motor start to do something funny or start to foul plugs for some odd reason and have it all result back to saving a couple of bucks cause i used the wrong oil... but im sure there are alot of oils that will work... so what ever makes you happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back