OEM Grey Fuel Lines

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Magg0078

I'm new and don,t have much experience with the 2 cycles, but I can turn a wrench and fix minor problems. Are the fuel line that tough of a task to replace? My tech quoted me $500 for the lines and labor, for that kind of money I want to tackle it myself. What ya think?

My tech quoted me $500 for the lines and labor

HO MY GOD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It about $45 in materials, and a couple easy hours of garage mechanic labor. (or less)

It's super easy. Just take one hose off at a time... cut a new hose... and put it on.

You need about 20' of 1/4" fuel hose... and about 18 hose clamps.

for $500 I hope he's rebuild the carbs too. But, that's still a crazy price.

Last edited by a moderator:
remove one side of the line, put the new hose right up to it. run electrical tape about 6" onto each side and double back. gently pull the new line IN, using the old line.

it's not hard or technical, just sometimes fun. You can also cut and re zip tie stuff. I'll do it for you for $400 ;)

That was to clean carbs and replace filters too. Yep I'm gonna take this one on myself! Thanks guys for the advice!

i just did it last night on a close friends 99xp L, took a couple hours but we also replaced the gas tank float as well, i can see dealers charging 4-500, if they assume 4-5hrs at 100 bucks an hour labor. Its not rocket science changing fuel lines, biggest thing to remember is check the fuel selector for gunk and replace as necessary its cheap. i sprayed brake cleaner and that did the trick. Carbs were off on both mine and my buddies ski when i did this does make it easier. Get the proper full stainless clamps too. Clean carbs/filters and replace oil injection filter as well.

Scott

to be on the safe side, i'd suggest 22 feet... @20 ft you will be down to the nitty gritty. or do what I do and buy a whole spool of 25' and be done with it. shop for a good price online then pick it up at a local auto parts store.

and $500 is crazy expensive, but look on the bright side, he did you a favor by asking so much, now you're motivated to save $400.

to be on the safe side, i'd suggest 22 feet... @20 ft you will be down to the nitty gritty. or do what I do and buy a whole spool of 25' and be done with it. shop for a good price online then pick it up at a local auto parts store.

and $500 is crazy expensive, but look on the bright side, he did you a favor by asking so much, now you're motivated to save $400.

I think I got a whole 25' spool. on a '99 GTX had about 3 feet left maybe.

yip ! same here, and that included the little pieces for the carbs, etc.

What they all said! I would add $0.02 worth though. I am also new to PWC's but do have 50+ yrs of shade tree experience. After reading a couple of the Sticky's on subject on the Forum, I decided to pull the tank out with all the hoses still connected to it. I disconnected from the carbs,fuel valve, and the vent lines and pulled the filter/separator out with all the hoses and tank.

I would recommend this if their is any visible signs of the grey lines deteriorating. My tank was full of green and black crud, as was the fuel pick-up Baffel and the fuel selector valve. This was true on both of my 94's. The fuel vent system on the XP was also stopped up as we're the Carbs on both skis. My two cents worth. Just replacing lines would have only been half the job. Good luck and have fun, it really is not hard to do.

Is there a link or does anyone have photos on how to get to the carb filters. This would be my main concern. Can I change the filters without messing with the carb too much?

There are 2 external filters. One inline which should be on the feed line about 6" from the carbs and the other filter (separator) under the hood near the tank with a screw off bottom. There are small screens in the carbs which get cleaned on a carb rebuild. If you are having performance problems (or have serious slim in the old grey lines) rebuild the carbs now and save yourself some greif.

I found my local Trident marine hose distributor and got the A1-15 marine grade (J1524) for $1.45/ft

Call trident Marine and get the number for your local distributor and you should be able to get the good stuff for a lot less than what you'd pay for regular fuel hose at Kargen/o'riley/checkers etc.

http://www.tridentmarine.com/stage/fuel.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back