Speedster SK “Not Right”

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

To2d

Seadoo Pros and PWC detectives... I need your help!!!
Back story: A few weeks ago we took our 99 speedster SK to the lake and it was running GREAT until it ran low on gas from taking the kids tubing all day.
I took my buddy's gas cans to the local lakes gas station and filled them up. boat ran good and then started to have problems.
"Here is my tread about that experience (LINK) and never did get a response"
One thing was for sure...I GOT BAD GAS (LOL) ether from the cans or the station. A few other boats got bad gas that weekend too.

I took this opportunity to do a full Fuel System reset in this order.
*Got rid of the bad gas.
*Rebuilt both the carbs with Mikuni carb kits. (LINK)
*Replaced all fuel line. (Still had two gray lines of death!)
*Replace fuel filters "had little bit of sediment in them"
*Lubed up linkage at carbs and under control handles.
*** also changed the wear rings because why not!

The boat ran great when i started it up in the driveway!!!! Better then it ever has for me in the last 5 years until... We hit the water:(

Idled away from the boat launch feeling victorious, passed the no wake zone, hit the gas, and the massive lack of power was instantly frustrating to say the least.

The right engine was working well and got up to its normal 7k but it seemed like it took a little bit.
The Left engine was slow to gain speed and only got up to 4k-5k.

Here is what was noticed:
*If it turned left the boat was a total dog and would drop from its frustratingly slow 35mph to 20mph and go no faster
*If i turned right the boat would start to do a 360 but would pull out of it at a snails "Or slow water creature" pace.
*My steering assist does not work "at all" when I turn the wheel all the way right
*The right throttle does not accelerate the boat until it gets pushed 50% of the way forward compared to the left that starts accelerating at 15%

We pulled the boat out and fired her back up when we got home on a hose. Both engine ran perfect and idled at 1.2k.

I am all over fixing this but need some direction and where to start. Looking for your help Seadoo Forum crew!

What are you thinking???

Last edited:
Check the cables are attached to the carbs correctly and didn't come out of the bellcrank somehow. I've done it myself being in a hurry.

Very possible whats going on....

Would that have anything to do with the control steering system not working at all?

When i removed the carb i just unscrewed the side plate that has the cables, Bell cranks, and ... . I moved it aside and then reattached the bracket when I reinstalled the carb. Should the cables need to be adjusted or just make sure all the cables are ran correct?

Here is what i found (see Photo)... Looks fishy :oops:

Attachments

• 99 speedster Sk right Carb throttle cables.JPG
    99 speedster Sk right Carb throttle cables.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 24
Here is the side that is working correctly "left"

Attachments

• 99 speedster Sk left Carb throttle cables.JPG
    99 speedster Sk left Carb throttle cables.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 25
Check the other side, see if it's the same. Are the cables swapped? Also for future reference, remove those screws that hold the bracket to the carb, then fish the cable ends off the bell crank and the choke lever. I'm hedging my bets on something isn't right behind that bell crank on the carb for the throttle. I believe there is a spring that gets wrapped on around it.

I'm also flabbergasted, I had no idea that boat was a single carb. I knew the SK had the 720 for skiing, you can hold a better speed with that engine. The raves are in and out on the 787 powered speedster like mine. So, you just have to be aware when skiing. It's not like these are Ski Nautique boats where they're pro slalom ski boats.

I just sent the other side pic when you posted that last thread ... most have pasted each other on the internet :)

On the left side i didnt have to remove any cables to get the carb rebuilt so i know they are all in the right place and the left side is working great!

The right side "problem" side is starting instantly almost like its fuel injected.

Ok! "my wife is going to love this one"! my fault!!!
I found a screw missing from the carb that hold the bracket to the carb and keeps it air tight.

Actually it was missing three screws! "so DUMB! i must not have tightened them up all the way during the rebuild."
Two on the front and on on the back of the carb. same size screw. I found one and got the bracket attached and the cable looks a lot better. Not prefect but better.

I need to get these screws. Can i get them from home depot? Do y'all know the size and pitch?

(also need screw 42)

Attachments

• Missing Screw 270500238 Seadoo SK 99.jpg
    Missing Screw 270500238 Seadoo SK 99.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 24
  • Missing Screw 270500238 Seadoo SK 99 Bracket.JPG
    Missing Screw 270500238 Seadoo SK 99 Bracket.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Missing Screw 270500238 Seadoo SK 99 Bracket attached.JPG
    Missing Screw 270500238 Seadoo SK 99 Bracket attached.JPG
    225.5 KB · Views: 22
Well, all I can tell you is they're M5 screws. Just take them with you and you can swap over to socket heads if they have them. I know Lowe's has a much better selection but they might not be around you. But try whom ever.

We have Lowes near me and Ill hit them up tomorrow.

My thinking is with all those screws loose or missing did two things.
1)Made it so the cables were flopping around and so i couldn't give it 100% throttle
2)Created a vacuum leak in the carb so the air to fuel was a messed up

Your guys thoughts?
Anything else from the first post that would still be a problem after replace these screws?

Thanks RacerXXX! Ill replace all the screws and drop her in the lake this weekend. Fingers crossed.

Picked up the replacement screws for the 99 speedster sk single right carburetor... Here are the sizes.
#43 270500238 M5 .7 16mm
#42 270500322 M5 .7 12mm

Both Home Depot and Lowe's only had the zinc plated.

We have a local Hardware store chain call Mclendon's in western Washington that has an amazing variety of stainless screws and bolts.

Worth the extra few bucks for the real deal!

Got all new washers and going make sure its all good and snug this time!

Attachments

• Missing Screw 270500238 Seadoo SK 99.jpg
    Missing Screw 270500238 Seadoo SK 99.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Runs great on land "with a hose" and has its throttle point back on the right engine.

Because if the small kink in the choke line I did a small adjustment. hope to get her on the water this weekend and will let y'all know!

Attachments

• 99 speedster Sk right Carb throttle cables fixed.JPG
    99 speedster Sk right Carb throttle cables fixed.JPG
    268.6 KB · Views: 18
  • Missing Screw 270500238 Seadoo SK 99 Bracket attached and fixed.JPG
    Missing Screw 270500238 Seadoo SK 99 Bracket attached and fixed.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back