not sure where to post question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

sweetnovember

I have a 98 seadoo xps. I had a new key programmed that worked fine for about 2wks. I pulled the craft out of the water because it was running very sluggish. (Really needs a good tune up) I tried to crank it about 2wks later and I get nothing. There is no beep when I attatch the key to the dess post. If I hit the start button I get two beeps after about 10seconds. I took it to a major retailer and they wanted $450 to replace the dess post and the starter. (starter is not bad) I just left it with a local mechanic and when he hooked the Kps?? key programmer, it shows the key is good but it keeps searching for the vehicle. Does anyone have any suggestions? He also placed a magnet next to the original dess post and then replaced the dess with a used one and there isn't a beep. I am a woman and just want an idea on what is going on. I appreciate any help you can give me. I love my seadoo and can't wait to get it back in the water.

Hello, and welcome. This is a great place to get help and keep you away from those mechanics....

First, at the home page scroll to middle where it has the PWC block and look at the two stroke sub section. That should get you more attention to get help.

So if you hit the start button does the starter turn the round thing in the back of the engine??
Or hit button and Zero??

If zero make sure battery charged???
Does the rpm gauge move when you hit the starter?
The no beeps could be buzzer going bad. Happens all the time.
Have you check the fuses in the electrical box? A blown 5 amp fuse then its your MPEM $$$$
If engine tries to turn over look at fuel or spark.
If it has grey lines you should get them changed and get carbs off and clean them.

Sounds like a lot but all very easy if you get a manual by joining site or get it online...

seadoo

Hello, and welcome. This is a great place to get help and keep you away from those mechanics....

First, at the home page scroll to middle where it has the PWC block and look at the two stroke sub section. That should get you more attention to get help.

So if you hit the start button does the starter turn the round thing in the back of the engine??
Or hit button and Zero??

If zero make sure battery charged???
Does the rpm gauge move when you hit the starter?
The no beeps could be buzzer going bad. Happens all the time.
Have you check the fuses in the electrical box? A blown 5 amp fuse then its your MPEM $$$$
If engine tries to turn over look at fuel or spark.
If it has grey lines you should get them changed and get carbs off and clean them.

Sounds like a lot but all very easy if you get a manual by joining site or get it online...

My battery is brand new, it was replaced when the new key was programmed. I have left the seadoo with a local backyard mechanic so I do not have access to it at the moment. I plug the key in and I get nothing (no beep) the buzzer works because once I plug the key onto the dess I can press the start/stop button for about 10seconds and I get 2 small beeps. I do not have a rpm gage just gas and trim it is a 98 model xps. The mechanic that has it now plugged the key programmer onto the dess post and it shows the key microchip number (so the key is good) but the key programmer can not locate the machine (searching for vehicle). Mechanic believes there could be a broken wire between the dess and the computer but is not sure. I just thought I was taken to the cleaners with the local dealership. You know having your own info is a powerful thing. In the dealerships case as per the starter, my start/stop button is just about worn down and it can be difficult to start. You have to hit the button in just the right place.

Back