Non running GSX Ltd 1999

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Minimac118

Hi guys

I've acquired a 1999 GSX limited as a non running project...

When I got it the starter and starter drive were worn and not engaging, I've had the engine out and changed both items not the engine is back in I have no spark,

I don't know when it was last running so I can't answer any questions.

I have a few questions tho is someone is able to help me out,

Been reading about it beeping when the fob is put on? It don't beep the dash lights up and a red light comes on for a few seconds then goes off.. Is this normal?

Secondly there is a bit of metal floating around in the engine bay with a wire attached to I'll try and upload a picture of it if someone could tell me what it is and where it goes... Maybe it's why it don't start???

I'm sure there are more questions I have but I'll just start with that for the moment

Any help great fully received

Many thanks

Steve

Attachments

• 16616276550006104354309432699430.jpg
    16616276550006104354309432699430.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 10
Update....

Seems I had put the pickup wheel on 180 degrees out

So now it tried to start but don't quite catch and run...

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Steve

As for the beep, the beeper may be bad, might want to check and see if it works, not a big deal if is doesn't but it can tell you thinks when it works.
As for the starting, what did you do to determine there was no spark, so we can build on what to tell you from that.
Have you checked the coil?

As for the beep, the beeper may be bad, might want to check and see if it works, not a big deal if is doesn't but it can tell you thinks when it works.
As for the starting, what did you do to determine there was no spark, so we can build on what to tell you from that.
Have you checked the coil?
Hi Grim

Thanks for the reply,
So as a day job I'm a vehicle mechanic so I'm fairly competent round a engine, 2 stroke is a little alien to me but I'm tinkering..

So originally I'd tested the spark with a lead and plug out the cylinder against an earth and cranked it to find it wasn't sparking,

Since then I've been round the engine bay cleaning up my connections as its 20 odd years old and things are a little corroded,

Tested it again and found I had a spark now but yet for some reason still wouldn't fire, but would occasionally splutter out the exhaust, purely to satisfy my needs removed the coil twin pack and reversed the coil connections in theory changing the fire order and it now fires and almost runs...

I have since had the flywheel cover off again and turned my rectifier wheel 180deg and I now assume I had it on wrong hence not firing.

As for my beep it works to tell me my voltage is low as I get a 2 beep when the fob goes on.

Hope this all makes sense

Steve

Two things I would do:
1. check compression to make sure the engine is OK
2. Look at carbs and see if they are in good shape, if you don't know the history might want to rebuild them. If you do use genuine mikuni rebuild kits, they don't like the generic stuff

Have you tried spraying a little premix in the carbs and see if you can get it to run that way?

Hi Grim

Runs with a little mix in the intake and then starts all day fine and seems to run nicely.

Assuming as it don't like the first start possibly a carb issue?

Yet to do a Compression test tho

Secondly there is a bit of metal floating around in the engine bay with a wire attached to I'll try and upload a picture of it if someone could tell me what it is and where it goes... Maybe it's why it don't start???
Your mystery metal is just a little grounded bracket that's used for parking the plug wires.

Hi Grim

Runs with a little mix in the intake and then starts all day fine and seems to run nicely.

Assuming as it don't like the first start possibly a carb issue?

Yet to do a Compression test tho
I have a 98 GTX LTDS (951 motor) and mine does the same thing, It is hard to start, sometimes taking up to 10 to 15 turn overs to crank ( I let it rest after about 5 or 6 turn overs), but once it cranks she is good to go, I have been cranking it everyday as of late to keep it easier to crank but I do need to chase down the same problem as well.
My compression is about 140 each, maybe slightly lower (150 for new motor), I know the lower the compression the harder they are to start( I don't think this is my issue), I think it could be a carb issue a well, almost like it loses vacuum in the line and has to repump gas to the carbs. I rebuilt my carbs about 6 months ago. Also could be spark plugs, Mine area little wet with oil sometimes, I'm going to get new ones and see how it goes. the ones I have are only 6 moths old.
When you run the ski does it run well ,any surges or skips? Mine is going well until about 5K RPMS, then I have a noticeable skip, this is new issue.
I just refurbish my ski so I don't have a lot of reliable run time on it yet. Hopefully we can find the issue and correct it, I'm still digging into it on my end too.

That piece of metal is spark plug ground, it sits at the top of electrical box,,and why in world is there a ground wire atttached to it?..a mystery for the ages…actually, my theory is that the black engine ground wire from the orange connector was connected to that metal piece,,,not knowing that that metal spark plug ground pin is Not grounded at all!

Last edited:
Hi guys

I've acquired a 1999 GSX limited as a non running project...

When I got it the starter and starter drive were worn and not engaging, I've had the engine out and changed both items not the engine is back in I have no spark,

I don't know when it was last running so I can't answer any questions.

I have a few questions tho is someone is able to help me out,

Been reading about it beeping when the fob is put on? It don't beep the dash lights up and a red light comes on for a few seconds then goes off.. Is this normal?

I'm sure there are more questions I have but I'll just start with that for the moment

Any help great fully received

Many thanks

Steve
That piece goes on top to put the plug wires on if it’s flooded or water injected mount near top by wires and there is a plastic cover on it as well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back