No tach or speedo reading

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooinfine

Does anyone have any idea where to start looking, My Tach and Speedo are not working on a 2004 Utopia 185 with a 240 EFI power head.

I am also looking for some place to send my impeller for resurfacing or am I better off buying new?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Does anyone have any idea where to start looking, My Tach and Speedo are not working on a 2004 Utopia 185 with a 240 EFI power head.

I am also looking for some place to send my impeller for resurfacing or am I better off buying new?

Thanks in advance,
Tim

Does the fuel gauge work? I ask because there is one purple wire that comes from each gauge which ties into a splice connector and then to a fuze. One 3A fuse for all three of them. The fuze harness is located in front the helm, you access it by lifting the back rest of the bowrider seat.

This is the access without the backrest. There are a total of three-3A fuzes but only one has a purple wire. Let me know if this helps

IMG_0417.JPG

Eddie

Thanks for your help Eddie, I can t say for sure the boat is nearly empy so when the gauge did not move when I turned on the key I cant say I will check the fuse later today and let you know what I find. I can say when I was out earlier this week the Fuel gauge was working but not the tach and Speedo. The pickup for speedo moves freely and no obstructions. Any idea how to test the sending unit? or the gauges themselfs?

Thanks for your help Eddie, I can t say for sure the boat is nearly empy so when the gauge did not move when I turned on the key I cant say I will check the fuse later today and let you know what I find. I can say when I was out earlier this week the Fuel gauge was working but not the tach and Speedo. The pickup for speedo moves freely and no obstructions. Any idea how to test the sending unit? or the gauges themselfs?

The sending unit for the speedometer is located in the engine bay on the starboard side. It is a two wire quick connect . The Sea Doo manual states;

To verify speed sensor, use a voltmeter as follows:

– With both speed sensor wires properly connected to boat harness wires, connect the voltmeter (+) probe to the speed sensor PURPLE/YELLOW wire and the (-) probe to the speed sensor BLACK/ORANGE wire.

– Slowly turn the paddle wheel. You should read a voltage variation with the voltmeter. If not, replace speed sensor.

Let me go check mine and I will get back to you. Not sure about the tach because the wires just tie into the main harness which is where the sea doo and merc wires make things work. Because your engine is working I would tell you to keeping looking at the boat electrical and not the engine.

The speed sensor has two wires, purple-yellow stripe and black, they connect to two sea doo wires, white and white-black stripe. With the ignition key turned on but engine off, there is 5.6 volts DC when my son spins the paddle wheel by hand the voltage goes up to 7.6 volts DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back