2002 Utopia 185 Tach not working

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mw3designs

Tach Not working on my 2002 Utopia 185 with the Merc 240 EFI. I get a little blip of movement when the key is turned on/off, but no RPM's. Tested the gauge for power / ground, all good. Where are the connections for the tach on the motor side?

I seen a post about solder joints coming loose, but everything inside the tach looked ok.

909e9ff634305adb6337920c9b190bf7.jpg

1086d463785007253f916c5511bfca2e.jpg

There is is s gray wire on each voltage regulator. That is the tach signal. You can swap to the other reg. no problem. Assuming you have a Gen 1 engine.

I personally Dremel'ed out the tach hole in the panel to use a standard size tach.

I seen a post about solder joints coming loose, but everything inside the tach l

Tim is right,,,I believe,,,the tach signal comes from the gray wire (from the stator signal),,,on the regulator.

This AM I got some time to check the wiring to the tach gauge in the boat, everything was good. I swapped the grey signal wire from one voltage regulator to the other, and the tach now works. Does this mean that the voltage regulator that isn’t giving the rpm signal is going bad?

This AM I got some time to check the wiring to the tach gauge in the boat, everything was good. I swapped the grey signal wire from one voltage regulator to the other, and the tach now works. Does this mean that the voltage regulator that isn’t giving the rpm signal is going bad?

Tach circuit seems separate- internally. Regulator function should be OK. You can check the output (red wire) from each regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back