No spark on cylinder 1 challenger 2000 Mercury 240

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

spdbrd1998

Took the boat out and the boat would not speed up would rev but would not take off so I went home check the spark and the cylinder 1 has no spark I swapped spark plugs and changed the coil from another cylinder to that cylinder and the coil is fine also im stuck please what should I do next to diagnose this thing:facepalm:

The coils ballast each other. So... since you swapped coils... what one did you swap it with? Also... check the ground on that wire connection.

Also... check to see if you have fire on #4. (They share a trigger)

Last edited by a moderator:
First ill like to say thanks for the help I really appreciate it, I swapped the coil with the coil right under it I think is number 3 and cylinder 4 does have spark and the ground I dont really know how to test it but I did attached a test light ground to that ground wire and then the light to a possitive and it worked fine should I try swapping the coil with a different one ?

OK...

1) if you have fire on #4 (middle plug, port side of the engine) Then your trigger is good.

2) If you take the "Bad" coil, and plug it into any other plug... and it will fire... the coil is good.

3) If you can verify the wiring to the bad coil... that would be great. (Bk=ground, B/Y= kill, G/W=charge, P/W= Trigger)

Finally.... if that all checks... then you have a bad ignition control box. It's the small black box, on top of the engine. There are 2 boxes together, and it should be the one on the bottom. (but it can't hurt to pull the plugs apart, make sure the contacts are clean, and put them back together)

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool I just got a meter from a friend :) ill be testing that tomorrow for sure and ill reply with the results thanks again for the help

Dr Honda I went to test the wiring like u told me to but I noticed that my screws that adjust the timing on that side arm of the engine close to the flywheel where loose the nuts that keep the arm in time are loose so the whole thing is of timing would this have anything to do with the issue im having with cylinder on and how can I adjust this thing now :banghead:

Cool so ill look into the the no spark issue first and then ill go into this newly found timing adjustin issue now one at a time I guess

Finally fix the issue wit having no spark on cylinder one it was the trigger assemble now how do I adjust the timing now ?:banghead:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back