No spark, details in thread

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

archaea

1997 GTI . I think I fried some electronics and need advice.

Background: I had a ton of people up for the holiday. While I was away, 3 ladies decided to try out the ski (not my idea :facepalm:). The got scared and basically tooled around at idle speed for "a while", I know it was long enough to come find me on a paddleboard, so I witnessed the rear end almost under water. No amount of coaxing could get them to get on plane.

By the time I got back the dock, the ski would not start. I'm told it would not even turn over. I was stressed (15 people there), and the ladies were petrified they broke the ski. I said, no problem, I think the battery is just dead (the battery is pretty new and had been working fine for a couple of days. Then put the charger on, 10 amps :facepalm:. With the key in :facepalm:.

So now it absolutely has a problem. The "e-box" (where the plug wires come from) definitely had a fair bit of moisture in it. I hooked up an in-line spark tester and there appears to be no spark (at least that I could see in the sun). It will crank and beep, but it seems to WANT to start, but never actually get there.

I figure something is fried either from being in submerged or by the charging it too fast with the key in.

Where do I start to troubleshoot? At this late date I have all winter to figure it out.

Dry it out. Pull junction plugs apart put dielectric grease in them. Pull plug wires off, same thing put grease spread inside boots. High water may of killed starter. Jump solinoid? No starter movement? Pull it and look at it. It sits low on engine. Check ground wires. Getting wet may of pushed connections over the edge. Once again clean and protect with dielectric grease. Check bilge drainers, may be clogged. Running at speed should of pulled water out. Carbon seal may of gone south. You should not get much water in bilge if any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back