no beep when lanyard is connected

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdstegall

Can not start my 97 xp. No beep when the lanyard is connected and no power going to the instruments. Need to start soon to winterize. Can I bypass or jump start the engine. Not very mechanically inclined so specific instructions would be apreciated

Lanyard....

You may have a bad post or DESS....
Try this.
With a fully charged battery and the lanyard not connected to the post, push the stop/start button five times. After the 5th beep, you should hear a short and long beep. Then put your lanyard key back on and push the button. If it doesn't start, count the amount of beeps you hear and let me know!...

I have got exactly the same problem with my Seadoo. It was working fine, then at the weekend I gave it a wash and polish all over. I did spray water everywhere and Im wondering if I may have caused the problem getting the electrics wet somewhere? Having said that I am getting the instruments light up when I press the start button without the lanyard attached and it did do a long and short beep after several presses. I have two lanyards and neither of them made it beep (although they were both working fine the other day)

After reading this thread I will try pressing it 5 times and then connecting the lanyard - I'll let you know what happens from there and would be really grateful for any help you can give.

Thanks.

Water wash down!

A fresh water wash down will only do your craft good. You can't do any damage to your electrical system unless you have your electrical box open and squirt water in it.
Your post and lanyard key. The lanyard key can be soaked in a soapy water solution for 10 minutes and then rinsed real good. Set out to dry. You should never use any type of die electric grease or any other contact cleaner on your key or post.
Try the advanced diagnostic, which is by pushing the button 5 times, get the one long, one short beep, then put the lanyard on and push your start stop button. If it starts, nothing is wrong. If it doesn't, then count the beeps and let me know. If you get nothing, no start or power, then chances are your post or lanyard is bad. I'd put money on the post being bad before the lanyard key.

Can not start my 97 xp. No beep when the lanyard is connected and no power going to the instruments. Need to start soon to winterize. Can I bypass or jump start the engine. Not very mechanically inclined so specific instructions would be apreciated

Make sure the battery is good and has a good connection to the positive+(red) and Neg.- (black) terminials. If you don't have any power to the instruments than there is more than likely, no power to anything...check the battery and connection first than do what seadoosnipe recomends.

P.S... Don't jump start the battery as it could surge the electrical componets and cause more electrical problems... Remove the battery and charger if it is low on a charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to try the lanyard again last night and now I have absolutely no power at all. The battery is fully charged and the connections are good :confused:.

On reflection I am now thinking I may have caused the problem - I had a problem with the steering being very stiff, so I removed a couple of bolts behind the handlebar and sprayed loads of duck oil inside the plastic housing. This completely loosened the steering but I wonder could the duck oil have tracked back and damaged the lanyard post? (I did lean the craft right back to drain the water off).

Any thoughts on this??

Duck Oil?? What the hell is Duck Oil? The post is easly removed, so I'd give that a try...Check the plug connection also, incase the (DUCK?)oil seepted into the connection. quack quack..lol

Duck Oil.

Duck Oil is a water repellant. Good for removing rusty old nuts LoL

Equivilent stuff is WD40 theres also Plus gas, and other brands of water repelant oil spray.Theres stuff with different names over the pond. Removes water, like water off a ducks back, quack or kwack.:rofl:

Have you checked the earth lead connection on your starter or block.
Corrosion get everywhere you know. Just loosen it and give it a wiggle then tighten. Worth a go.;)

Duck Oil - its great stuff. When I bought my seadoo I was told to spray the engine all over when I'd finished using it - I thought everybody did that?

I will take the lanyard post out later and investigate and also check the earth connection, cheers. I'll let you know how I get on...

Quack Quack :rofl:

Dess

Because the DESS lanyard has a micro chip in it that's used in the prevention of theft, the manual recommends that you use nothing but a mild soapy water solution to clean it with, then let it air dry.
Any petroleum propellants and do harm to the lanyard and the post.

Seadoosnipe is correct if you got any Duck Oil (even a small amount)on the post it could cause a bad connection. If you push the start button without the lanyard connected it will power up the instruments momentarly, like to check the fuel guage, than power down. The engine starter will only power up after 2 beeps from the lanyard attached, but will time out if not started in like 30 seconds...I haven't timed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back