Newbie PWC, New 3D:Too much smoke?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

evofxdwg

Newbie PWC owner. Just bought one of the "new old stock" 2005 Seadoo 3D (base model). Advertised as "0 hrs" for a great price (maybe). Im handy with vehicles but know nothing about the Rotax 2 cycles (YET). (ebay service manuals are on the way).

It has not been in the water yet. I have started it up in the driveway a couple of times with flush hookup. It smokes quite a bit. Download the video and open it: http://members.cox.net/evofxdwg

Is this too much smoke? What could cause it? Is it just "break in oil"? Is there an oil pump adjustment?

If it could be serious (read high $) problem, i guess I need to get a competent Seadoo mechanic to diagnose it so i can persue a refund or adjustment with the seller.

I've got a list of auth seadoo dealers around the middle/north GA area. Can anybody specifically recommend a dealer or mechanic in this area?

follow up on my 3D

:hurray:
Just in case anyone has similar problem. Eventually my 3D would not even start. Finally diagnosed as bad plugs, even though they looked new. I replaced them and started right up, with a little less smoke. I could even measure leakage current between body and terminal on the old plugs with an ohmmeter. Newly purchased plugs read infinite resistance.

I ran it on the lake and no exessive smoke and ran fine. I think running it in the driveway may create more smoke (running cooler?) or the illusion because no wind to carry it away.

A 2 stroke that does not burn oil.... is from Detroit...and burns diesel... and it just does not burn as much!

Seriously! I agree with Karl.

Most chain saws, and older sea doos have 2 stroke motors, and they smoke, especially when cold.

Nate

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back