Newbie needing advice on 02 Islandia purchase

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

RepNJ

Hello! I’ve been stalking the threads for a few hours now because I’m interested in buying a 2002 Islandia - Mercury Powerhead 240 HP two stroke. $4500
The catch is, the ad states “NEEDS NEW MOTOR/ powerhead needs replaced” and that’s honestly the extent of the information.
I grew up driving around a little Boston whaler on the bay in NJ, but really did not retain any knowledge which would make me an educated boat owner. SO, after wasting my night searching, I still have some Q’s :)
  1. Chances of finding a certified Merc mechanic landlocked in Colorado? (I understand that there is difficulty with finding maintenance/parts for these motors + sea-doo)
  2. Ballpark price for full repower (parts & install labor- I will have this done professionally, obviously, and assume all will need to be replaced w/ a remanufacture, likely not rebuilt.) looking at $3k, $5k, $10k!?
  3. is $4500 a fair price for the work needed? (I’ve searched nationwide and do have a good average)
  4. I now really have my heart set on an islander, should I be weary of the 2001-2004 models bc of the potential engine work?
  5. Will I have to replace with the same merc engine? Can it be upgraded to a 4 stroke? Is that recommended?
  6. any other tips before buying??
any and all info and advices is welcome, (please don’t judge my ignorance ;))
And thanks in advance!!
22ACA768-FFBA-42D4-AE40-1691B813EE13.jpeg
1E48D1CB-7F6B-497E-95B9-9D84306B0F1D.jpeg989B3D06-63BE-4A70-93F5-E1940869DBC5.jpeg

New power head is about 4k to 4.5k Most mechanics wont work on them. Manuals are available and there is always plenty of help on here if you want to take on the job yourself. The price seems a little high unless the interior is absolutely mint.

New power head is about 4k to 4.5k Most mechanics wont work on them. Manuals are available and there is always plenty of help on here if you want to take on the job yourself. The price seems a little high unless the interior is absolutely mint.

Thank you very much for your insight and taking the time to respond!
Unfortunately with 3 young kids and a business I doubt I can take on that project.. but definitely interested in learning the ropes of future maintenance and repair.
Interesting mechanics won’t work on them.. is that just this model merc?

Seadoo wont work on them because it's a mercury motor, and mercury wont touch them because it's a seadoo if that makes sense. Plus they are difficult to access and a pain to work on. Most mechanics like to just throw parts at problems since it's your money they're spending. It's much easier than taking the time to properly diagnose problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back