2001 SD Islandia - running out of the water on trailer w/freshwater flush

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmtworks

I just got this Islandia and finally got her to start. I am trying to see how to run it on the trailer for long periods....right now I use the fresh water flushing connector but only for 10-15 seconds....as I don't want to mess the engine up until I have a grasp in the procedure. I would like to have it run up to operating temperature before I even take it out on the water.

I have a Bayliner Jazz and I setup a hose connection on the jet drive inlet hose and I can run that engine for every using that connection.

Any help/reference is appreciated.

~ Chris

There is a drive seal that is not cooled when out of water, and you are not supposed to run the engine out of water, even with a hose attached, for more than a few minutes.

If you have an 01 then you have a Merc V6, yes? (I see the 240efi tag on this post...) Per the manual, as rmtworks mentioned you should be good as long as you run at idle.

There is not a drive seal on these (like on a Rotax), it is direct drive to the M2 gearbox.

Per the Mercury manual for the 200 Opti in my '01 Utopia, it says this in the instructions for flushing the cooling system... so yours should be similar:
  • The engine may be run using the Flushing Attachment: DO NOT run the engine above idle speeds.
  • Turn water on and flush engine block for at least 10 minutes.
  • Remove water hose and install flush adaptor plug.
  • Flush outer surfaces of pump with water stream
HOWEVER.... make sure to re-install the plug! I almost turned my Utopia into a submarine this weekend... thankfully we were mostly at idle and we caught it right away upon revving up outside the no-wake zone (immediately felt bogged down....) Close call, good lesson for the kids and real-world test of the 21 yr old bilge pump.

Enjoy!
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back