Newbie here I need your guys expertise.. which speedster 200 to buy.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we are ready to list our Speedster 200 for sale. It’s the one with the large Rockford Fosgate Stereo and Ferrari Brown interior.

Are you still in the market?

Joe

First post here...just closed the deal on a 2008 200 Speedster 310 with....get this... 29 hours! Hasn’t been in the water since 2013. Mint condition, brokered by dealer who sold it new, serviced and stored it indoors from day one. Got it for $12,500. Spoke to the tech who serviced it...he said it started right up after all that time in storage. Compression tested, new plugs, & oil.
Test driving this sold me above all else. A thrill to drive!

North Carolina

Which Lake do you go to? I'm out at Jordan and a month ago I saw a speedster that looked like yours. Didn't want to pull up next to it and scare someone, but if that was you, great boat!

As far as top speed, I have a neighbor with an '04 speedster 200 310hp. He is a very tech savvy guy and knows his boat. I think he got a GPS speed in the 50+ mph. I have the 210 challenger with twin 215hp and I top out at 54mph. If I remember correctly, my boat is about ~1,000lb heavier so power to weight ratio, it would make sense for a 310 speedster 200 to have a top speed in the mid 50's. Has a lower profile, lighter weight, likely less air and water drag, so with 310hp, really expecting 50's.

I do remember my neighbor saying if it was just him and his wife, they'd get that. But if you have additional weight and people, you will probably see a drop in top speed in the mid 40's. That was the reason I didn't get a speedster and got a challenger with twin SC engines. The SC versions give you a more aggressive impeller pitch with the power and thanks to the boost from the SC, get more torque, like a turbo or super charged engine in a car. And with the higher seating capacity in the challenger, I can really feel power come in handy when I have 10 people and gear on board. Hole shot is overall slower, but thanks to the torque, I go from a top speed of 54mph with just me in it to around 48-50mph with 10 people. Acceleration is definitely slower, but maintaining higher speed helps a lot. With a NA aspirated, they're definitely GREAT for lower maintenance and fuel, but you do feel a drop in performance with extra weight and will see it in a more relatively significant drop in top speed, along with acceleration. Best way to visualize that is a car with RWD vs AWD in the rain. Both cars can be identical in make and model, as well as horsepower, but an AWD system helps put down that power more efficiently. Or, if you look at a honda accord vs BMW 328i, the accord makes 250hp, nearly the same as 328i. Both are sedans with similar weight and RWD. Reason why the BMW would be faster off the line is because unlike the honda that is a NA V6, the 328i is a I4 with a turbo. Thanks to that turbo, it makes more torque sooner in the RPM range and increases, while also having an overall higher torque. HP is the same, but torque isn't.

Other factors are involved, but more boost means more torque. And for boats, more boost allows for more aggressively pitched impellers that really help with hole shot, acceleration, and top speed, depending upon how its configured. NA engines can't go too hard without getting bogged down.

I may be wrong, so please correct me if I am. My experience comes from previously having a Yamaha AR190 with a single NA 4cyl 1.8L 180hp engine. Thing topped out at 43 but the moment you added more people in weight, performance dropped DRASTICALLY! Even with one person on board, and me trying to slalom ski (190lbs), The boat struggled really hard trying to accelerate and get up to speed. Having 2 NA engines really does help out a lot with pushing out higher volumes of water at lower speeds, even with the same power. Drove a friends Yamaha 210sx with 220hp. little bigger than mine, but similar power to weight. His could easily handle multiple people and skiing just fine. But when you add 10, you felt it suffer.

Which Lake do you go to? I'm out at Jordan and a month ago I saw a speedster that looked like yours. Didn't want to pull up next to it and scare someone, but if that was you, great boat!

Kerr Lake. Usually up around the dam. Never been to Jordan, but I've heard good things about it. We are usually camping, so Kerr offers the best of both worlds. Plus, I practically grew up on that lake, so I know most every nook and cranny, and most importantly where to steer clear of...... :)

No gps speed speedo speed against niagara river current!

Not saying that it won't do those speeds, but remember that the speedometer is based on the little spinner on the transom. If you are going against the current, I'd bet that you are getting a false high reading by adding in the speed of the current along with the speed of the boat. Similar to how an airplane has an air speed and a ground speed. The two are not always the same....IE., you may have an air speed of 100mph measured by the pitot, but a ground speed of more or less than that depending on a head wind or a tail wind.

Kerr Lake. Usually up around the dam. Never been to Jordan, but I've heard good things about it. We are usually camping, so Kerr offers the best of both worlds. Plus, I practically grew up on that lake, so I know most every nook and cranny, and most importantly where to steer clear of...... :)

Haha well I definitely need to try hitting up Kerr lake some time! How's camping with the boat? Would love to try that sometime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back