Any last thoughts before I buy my 1st Sea Doo?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

davedodson

Hi guys,
Thanks for reading. I have read just about every thread on here so thanks to everyone.

I am just about to commit to my first boat. It's a 2006 Speedster 200 430hp

It's done 88hrs so I know I have to rebuild the sc's, it still has the original ceramic washers in! That's 88 hrs from new
I've pretty much got that in hand and sourced all the right stuff from what I have read on here.

It's in very good condition, new battery, got a tower and comes with toys, and has been serviced by sea Doo regularly.
I'll be adding turf, upgrading hifi and adding LEDs.

Is there any last minute advice, anything I might not have thought of before I commit to buy. I'll add a pic once I've paid the deposit for anyone interested.
Thanks

I'm actually excited doing the research about the boat, never mind what I'll be like when I get her out on the water!

It's a good boat. Just have the washers changed before the first use. When they fail... the shards will eat the engine. I've seen them fail with as little as 20 hrs on the engine... so DO NOT try to go to 100 hr's. The ceramic washers are a ticking time bomb.

Other than that... there really aren't any "Issues". Just make sure there haven't been any major patches done. Look inside the hull as good as you can, to look for patches. Make sure all the stuff works. (lights, radio etc) and TAKE IT FOR A WATER TEST !!!!!! I say it all the time here. A boat can start, and sound great on the trailer... but all the problems will come out, when in the water.

With all that said... problems/issues should be weighed according to the price tag, and your ability/willingness to fix problems.

Water test on Saturday.
I actually told the vendor exactly that "ticking time bomb" comment. He had no idea about the sc's, in fact thought the boat had turbos.
Patches, good advice thanks, I'll do that. And make sure all electrics work.
Going to get the guy from sea Doo to plug the laptop in for me anyway and give me a full diagnostic, not too sure what info he can get from there but handy none the less.
As long as all is good on Saturday I am going to order the Riva rebuild kits. While the mechanic is doing the sc's what else does he need to do. It's over 88hrs now so might as well get full service? What should I instruct them to do?

Got an even better deal, all being well, just in case there is anything that crops up during the full service.
Managed to knock another £1000 off.

I actually live in Dubai and that's where I'm buying but my best mate has a 2008 challenger 180se that may be for sale.
Essex and its got an amazing sound system

I was wondering, as I have to rebuild the superchargers, would it make more sense just to replace the whole units?
I've seen something called an x charger for around 900usd. Obviously I would need two costing 2000usd inc delivery.
I have to spend 700usd anyway on the kits inc delivery plus the labour to rebuild both sc's which is 200usd. Total 900usd

So what I'm asking is, is it worth 1100usd to upgrade to brand new x chargers?

Seadoo guy did the diagnostics on the motors and all is good. However, they had not done 88 hrs but 128 and 133.
I'm glad haggled down as much as I did and happy I got everything checked for my own peace of mind. Worth the expense.

I should point out, that both superchargers are still running strong on the original ceramic washers, I wonder how much longer he had before one blew!

Seadoo guy did the diagnostics on the motors and all is good. However, they had not done 88 hrs but 128 and 133.
I'm glad haggled down as much as I did and happy I got everything checked for my own peace of mind. Worth the expense.

I should point out, that both superchargers are still running strong on the original ceramic washers, I wonder how much longer he had before one blew!

Whoa....one has 128 and the other has 133?...uhm......I think you may have answered your own question.

I sure hope he wasn't running one motor 5 hrs after he blew the other one.

I don't know a single boater with twins...who only runs one at a time....for the hell of it...for extended periods of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
He launches in a creek and only uses one motor to travel up and down the creek to open water. I guess he favours the near side stick.

The vendor is the firsthand only owner and he has used it quite infrequently for the last 3 years only. It was never registered in the USA before import to Dubai in 2009.

Seadoo are happy with the boat and I got a deal so hopefully all will be ok

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back