Bought New to me 2008 215 SC Speedster 150

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

merc596

Ok I thought I would start a new thread and let you guys know about my recent purchase.

I finally found a 2008 Speedster with the 215 SC engine for $8500 dollars on Craig's List. Looking at NADA and sales on Ebay the boats were selling somewhere around 10K so thought this was a good deal. Owner kept boat is in great shape mechanically with service history of past 149hrs from the local Sea Doo Dealer. Cosmetically, the interior is in great shape with the exception of the jump seat has a hole punched in it. His kids who used the boat must have had a big learning curve as the boat exterior gel coat has some amazing dock rash in about 5 places that cost me $700 to get professionally fixed. However, as I said the good thing is the owner was a stickler at maintaining the boat as engine and engine compartment is super clean. The boat also has a bimini top that looks like it had never been used. All gauges/radio/switches/blowers/bilge pump/lights work Took the boat out for a sea trial and ran great 7900 RPM about 55 MPH GPS. Since that time I have put another 3 hrs on the boat with no issues. The owner gave me his maint records which show routine oil changes and yearly use over the last 5 years of about 30 -35 hrs annually. He had the sc rebuilt by the local sea doo dealer at 100 hours so I am assuming that I don't need to do another rebuild till 200 hrs. I still have my 1997 Speedster that I have had for 10 years and couple of observations between the two boats:

1. 2008 speedster 4 Tec 215 is quiet compared to the 2 stroke 717's on the 1997 and no smoke.
2. gas consumption on the 2008 is better and don’t have to buy oil for injection
3. Handling close but think new jet pump gives the 2008 an edge especially maneuvering around the dock…slow speed
reverse
4. Ride pretty much the same but maybe 2008 more spray than 1997 and 1997 feels planted in the water better and 2008 more skittish and not as solid planted in the water.
5. Acceleration edge to the 2008 but very close based on seat of the pants
6. Top speed 2008 but again close
7. Radio and speakers awful close to junk rating
8. Comfort seats/driver position goes to 1997 hands down. 2008 seats too thin and too close to steering wheel for driver
9. 1997 I could do everything maint, replace wear ring, impeller, pump fluid, simple to work on. The 2008 looks much more complex with fuel injection, supercharger, etc that requires special tools and software to do maint.. may have to find a good tech to help here.

Appreciate all your advice from last year when I was considering the swap and my deal fell through. This year I almost didn’t buy the boat hearing Sea Doo our of jet boat business but felt like it was a good deal at $8500 and could resale if not what I wanted as they will continue to hold value. Again, thanks for of the great advice here. Hope I get as good a service as I have out of my old speedster and keep up the great work.

Cool review! Don't get too intimidated by the 4tec in terms of servicing. Later on if you begin to work on problems yourself you can pick up a candoo scanner home edition for around $400 seems like alot up front but it will definately pay for itself over time. Can you post up some pics of your new boat?

Congratulations Merc,

Just got a new to me 2008 Speedster 150 with the 155hp engine myself on Kijiji. Also came with the optional cover, bimini top, trailer, and OE depth sounder, and was red/black which is the colour my daughter really wanted ;) Paid a few thousand more than you, but everything is more expensive in the Bombardier "motherland" ! It was also in almost mint shape, with 100h, and the dealer inspection passed with flying colours! After I visited some other Sea-doos with rotted out hulls and pretty banged up I figured I wanted this clean one and did not bargain to the ends of the earth! Previous owner seemed very friendly and honest, and even came out with me on my first trip (and show off his new boat no doubt) to show me the ropes and waters, and make sure everything went well.

Even though the used market seems to price the SC fairly similarly, I wanted the 155hp to not have to worry about expensive maintenance on my first boat, and the chance of disintegrating washers destroying my $7000 engine! Went on my first ride last weekend and brought my father along. He said his face was hurting when going WOT and begged me to slow down ... since boat will be mostly for leisurely family use seemed sufficiently fast! And seems all I have to do is oil change every year, and rad fluid / spark plugs every two years and seems the "underpowered version" 4-tec should be pretty bullet proof.

Coincidentally mine also had a hole punched in the jump seat, but had a nice colour matched patch repair covering it.

Went over it with a fine tooth comb, and just had to re-attach bimini top bars at the top, and adjust sticky engine hatch, and she's as good as new. Could not stop there, so just installed a Lowrance Elite 5 GPS with Fishfinder! Can write that up in a separate thread if I am bored!

"Radio and speakers awful close to junk rating"
In fact that may be an understatement! I have never heard such a horrible sound system in my life! Shocking that they could not add $50 to the BOM, and at least put some decent speakers on there!

"2008 seats too thin and too close to steering wheel for driver"
I am only 5'10 and normal build and have to do some acrobatics to get under the steering wheel! Cant imagine particularly tall, or large people being able to sit properly!

"Handling close but think new jet pump gives the 2008 an edge especially maneuvering around the dock…slow speed
reverse"

Fist time driving a jet drive, and neutral and reverse where quite the balancing act at first, with the boat usually spinning around! Went very nicely in forwards though. I did somehow return to the "concrete" dock like a pro however (using the 45deg approach, and neutral/forward/reverse juggling I read about), coming in perfectly parallel and just tapping it with the bumpers. I am worried that was first time luck however ;)

"The 2008 looks much more complex with fuel injection, supercharger, etc that requires special tools and software to do maint.. may have to find a good tech to help here."
Oil, rad fluid, spark plugs look straight forward enough for DIY. Hoping thats all mine needs for the next ten years (wishful thinking?)! It is painful on the chest hanging into that engine bay however ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the responses guys. Sorry for my delay but been out of town visiting mom for mothers day. Steve I agree hanging over the back hatch gives me a sore chest for days. Same with my old boat. I will post some pictures as soon as I make some been too busy trying to get the boat cleaned up and put a few hours on it before summer. The guy I bought it from had all the service completed last year by the local Sea Doo Dealer including oil/filter change and winterize. I was the first one to start it up after sitting all winter. So it has been running really well the two times I have had it out and will probably use it this summer and have it gone over again by the local guy just to make sure it is done correctly. Thanks again and looking for a fun summer.

I agree hanging over the back hatch gives me a sore chest for days.

LOL, I was worried I had a heart problem for a moment when I had chest cramps a few days later, until it dawned on me it was from the Seadoo!

Great write up merc

Thinking of your review I have to agree. The seats and position are more comfortable in the older boats, also I felt there was more room in the older boats? I also have to agree about it being more sturdy, rfoster just wrote in his post that the fiberglass was "way" thicker in the old boats than the new boats.. Wow scary.. Lol..

We have to be more careful and not hit anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back