Newb questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nastynate

Hello, new to the scene and from CLE, Ohio.

Looking to take ownership of a 2013 GTR 215 this week, but have a few very newb questions if anyone can help.

I've seen the superchargers typically need to be rebuilt at 100 or 200 hours (depending on where you read???). For sake of budgeting, is there a typical hours/year I can factor to determine when I'll have to do this?

Obviously, it depends on how much you ride and everyone is different, but only being able to ride 4-5 months out of the year on weekends, I'm trying to get a 'typical' range.

ALSO - how fast do you typically go through a tank of fuel?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the lame questions! :-/
-Nate

I'm a newb here also but ride with a friend that has this ski. We've been told by the dealer the SC should be rebuilt at 100 hours and the cost is around $800.00.

His ski at normal cruise burns about 3.5 gallons/hr and wide open in sport mode about 10.5 gallons/hr. It holds 15.9 gallons so you can do the math.

Hope this helps.

My 09 RXT-X with a 255 SC'd engine used 5 gallons after two hours if running over all speeds. But always over 38 ish MPH.

SC need rebuilt every 100 hrs unless you get the new stuff from Seadoo and then they can go 200 hrs.

According to BRP 200 hrs:

"The longtivity of this new supercharger kit is mostly due to the "MOLYBDENUM" friction washers and higher quality bearings. This supercharger kit was fitted to all supercharged SEA-DOO's since the 2011 model year and continues with the 2012 models."

So your model 2013 should be good for 200 hrs, although you might consider it at 150 to be sure if it is at the end of a season - lots of posts on this. Fuel is interesting. I use premium fuel as recommended. I find that My Sea-Doo is not that different from a boat. At wide open throttle, my 215 Wake Pro goes through gas very fast maybe at the rate of about 19 gals per hour. When I'm riding at cruising speed at say at about 5,000 rpm, it is about 4-5 gals per hour depending on conditions. You can set the display to show consumptions, which I like to do, just to see how much fuel I'm going through. I haven't really monitored sport mode, but given the acceleration is so much different (better) in sport mode, I can only believe that fuel consumption is different (higher) too. I get better gas mileage on my 155 GTX.

Here is a link that is interesting.

http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?37740-Fuel-Consumption-Some-data

To put it in perspective my boat which is 23 feet long without the swim platform equipped with a Volvo Penta GXi 320 hp dual SS prop uses over 22 Gals/hr at WOT. And that is pushing over 4,000 pounds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. Super helpful and makes sense. So it sounds like the GTR 215 wouldn't be that much different than your Wake Pro in terms of gas consumption, I'd assume. Do you still prefer the 215's performance over the 155 with better mpg?

I did see the manual for the 215 is stating 200 hours, so going to try and determine how many seasons out that will need to happen. Thinking approx. 4 seasons/years out living in the cursed city that is Cleveland.

Thanks for the help!

Speed

Wow. Super helpful and makes sense. So it sounds like the GTR 215 wouldn't be that much different than your Wake Pro in terms of gas consumption, I'd assume. Do you still prefer the 215's performance over the 155 with better mpg?

I did see the manual for the 215 is stating 200 hours, so going to try and determine how many seasons out that will need to happen. Thinking approx. 4 seasons/years out living in the cursed city that is Cleveland.

Thanks for the help!

Well, at the risk of any number of posts in reply, I think the 215 hp Sea-Doos are ideal. And yes my Wake Pro would be very similar. They go like heck and have a top speed of 65 mph and can have decent fuel economy when cruising. I always allocate the 155 to my guests who do not typically have experience with the Sea-Doos. Generally, you will find you cruise at a speed of about 35 to 40 mph. They think the 155 is a speed demon. It is a fine ski and I still enjoy driving it. I understand the 260s are governed so that their top speed from the factory might be 68 mph. Now, you can always alter this with aftermarket products, but really....its a Sea-Doo. Save the Mods for your BMW 535 and a Dinan or Berger Motor Sports Tune or a decent flat screen. LOL. Overall, for a speed orgasm...you need the 215 and I do prefer it. It will beat out a Yamaha HO which goes about 62 mph with that damn Rooster Spout...(ridiculous). The 215 is a damn good ski. Enjoy it you made a very good choice.

For me 200 hrs will likely be 4 to 6 seasons in Toronto. Very reasonable to have a rebuild of the super charger after that use. I just think the Sea-Doos are a very advanced watercraft.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter.

I do the exact same thing. Guests get the 155 and think it is a monster.

I take my 255 and have a ball.

It's perfect. I think the modern Sea-Doos are first class. The fact that my GTX has neutral, braking, S3 hull, GPS, and....SPORT mode...it is perfect.

It's perfect. I think the modern Sea-Doos are first class. The fact that my GTX has neutral, braking, S3 hull, GPS, and....SPORT mode...it is perfect.

I could not agree more.

It is so easy for guests to operate

When docking I put my foot in there foot well and have them put their in mine.

I simply tell them brake, neutral or forward. Don't touch the gas.

Once I know their ability on my ski I let them dock and pull away from the dock.

I could not agree more.

It is so easy for guests to operate

When docking I put my foot in there foot well and have them put their in mine.

I simply tell them brake, neutral or forward. Don't touch the gas.

Once I know their ability on my ski I let them dock and pull away from the dock.

LOL LOL LOL....I do the same thing. The old...foot in the footwell....sometimes I put them on the ski, but my feet in the footwell at the dock, take them through the paces and let them go.... they usually get it. The tough thing is staring the ski with the right application of the key....took me a couple of years to figure out you DON'T put it on the post flush straight, you gotta angle it and snap it on....

LOL LOL LOL....I do the same thing. The old...foot in the footwell....sometimes I put them on the ski, but my feet in the footwell at the dock, take them through the paces and let them go.... they usually get it. The tough thing is staring the ski with the right application of the key....took me a couple of years to figure out you DON'T put it on the post flush straight, you gotta angle it and snap it on....

Too funny. Like looking in a mirror. LOL

Thanks Peter and Joe! Really helpful. I'm encouraged and pumped to take the ski out (hopefully this weekend)!

There is nothing like a Sea-Doo. A boat is nice and is different. A Sea-Doo is faster than most boats, a fantastic handling watercraft and very good for exploring a lake. If your ski is new, respect the break-in period, take it easy, don't travel at a fixed speed for too long. Vary the speed, and don't worry about top speed when new. It gets faster as it breaks-in.

So nastynate one more tidbit....I spent over $1,000 on gas last month and I was mostly at the cottage...2 Sea-Doos, 1 boat, 2 cars. You'll be fine....LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back