1996 GTI Rotax 717 (x2) newb questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I just made my first seadoo purchase. I bought two ‘96 GTI’s (twin carb). I was told on the phone that one runs (he sent a supposed video of him running it on the river from a few weeks ago) he said it misses every once in awhile? He said the other has carb taken off but was recently running good and all parts were there. I drove 2 hours to get them and found the following:

“Seadoo A” started up, I shut it off immediately.
“Seadoo B” the one that “had carbs taken off” didn’t have any carbs at all, they were completely gone. . Also, the top engine cover was off, exposing the tops of the pistons, and missing all top cover bolts. Fuel/water/spark lines disconnected. Paper towels shoved into carb intake manifold holes. Battery missing. Left hand ignition switch button cut off and missing, display gauge wires intentionally cut near the front where it goes down into the hole under the front tub insert.

I am new to this and have some questions if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated:

“Seadoo A” questions:
I would like to try to put this in the water and see if it indeed runs, but I don’t want to risk burning it up or causing damage.
1. Is there a quick way to see if this thing is getting oil? If not a quick way, should I run some premix just in case, even if the oil pump could be working?
2. I know I need to make sure its getting water cooled, I read to check a weap hole thing at the back of the unit by the little metal u shaped thing, is water going to barely come out of that like barely running down from it? I’m assuming it’s not going to rooster tail water out...
3. Do I need to do anything to the impeller or drive shaft like lubricate it or anything?
And do these ever leak water into the hull from where the drive shaft goes through at the rear?
4. Is it harmful to pressure wash inside the hull to clean all the crud out and just try not to get the electric box wet or is that frowned upon?

“Seadoo B” Questions:
1. I’m assuming my next step with this one is to see if it’s locked up, is it possible to put a battery directly to the starter to see if it will even try to turn over? If so, is this ok to do with the top engine cover unbolted and pistons exposed? If instead I need to hand crank it, how do I go about doing that? Does the impeller have to be disconnected to hand crank?
2. I know I’m not supposed to “boost battery”, but isn’t it ok to use an unattached car battery to diagnose these things?
3. If it is determined that the engine is not seized up, and I put back it back together (I’m assuming I should clean up the piston tops and rub some oil around the cylinder walls, put on new upper gaskets) Is it possible to spray ether directly into the intake manifold holes with the entire carb missing and actually get it to run for a second?

Thank you so much for any replies. I’m definitely a newb to all this but am hoping to learn and have some fun.

A78D9EC1-7D3A-49C4-8C7D-127B39DB890B.jpeg

Attachments

• EA349FAF-E0D5-4F54-A252-3DE268CBC2F4.jpeg
    EA349FAF-E0D5-4F54-A252-3DE268CBC2F4.jpeg
    452.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 4C1C5B7C-A3B4-4791-B3DB-7A8C9F61A56C.jpeg
    4C1C5B7C-A3B4-4791-B3DB-7A8C9F61A56C.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 33A40B87-2AC5-459A-A6C2-7D339A5A8F87.jpeg
    33A40B87-2AC5-459A-A6C2-7D339A5A8F87.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 9620FAAA-981E-42BC-9A0A-3363F5F56326.jpeg
    9620FAAA-981E-42BC-9A0A-3363F5F56326.jpeg
    159.7 KB · Views: 7
I hope you got them cheap. Sounds like you bought someone’s problems.

“A” I would check compression before doing anything.

“B” isn’t worth dumping money into with all the parts missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back