New user, stereo advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but not all skis have as fragile electrical as the seadoo MPEM's...do the seperate battery. You will be fine that way.

Yeah, that is why I just said I will bring it back later because he was convinced he was right running two batteries and a ACR won't fry it. Just will do the battery separated and charge every night. No big deal. I was very close on taking it elsewhere because he thought I didn't know what I was really talking about, but he has been doing all my family's car for years so I let it slide and let him think he was right.

Thanks for everyone's help. I will post pictures online tonight

Here are some pictures. My phone died:/ I picked up my sea doo at 730pm and my dads house is a mile from the shop. I make a left turn and hear thumping. I get out and double check the hitch ball, chain, etc. then I notice one of my tires lug nuts are all off! My uncle painted my trailer over the weekend and be just have not Tighten them enough. Of course the hitch and tire wrench were in the garage when he used it to lift the jet ski off. Called AAA and they only cover my car and not trailer and wanted over $180 to come out. I ended calling my grandma to come, and used her jack and tire wrench to unscrew two lug nuts from the side that had all the bolts, onto the other side. Spent 3 hours less than a mile away from my dads house and he is away on business. So frustrating, but glad he taught me all these things.

So when I went to take pictures and a video my phone died and my charger was of course at my house! But here are some. Will add better pictures Saturday. The amp is nicely tucked away in the front storage compartment and all my room is there. In the center compartment, I have the AUX cable with a clear otterbox bolted it so my phone doesn't bouncy or shake around. There is also a switch to shut it off and on. Don't need my key on to even run the system. It sounds amazing! Next step will be adding the second battery.

Thanks for all ur guys' help. I will post better pics Saturday when I go back to my dads house.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Question,
The audio guys let me know something I wasn't aware of when I got the sea doo. There is a switch
on/ off that says pump right under my seat and front storage compartment. They said it wasn't hooked up to anything. Any ideas? Bilge pump? and why woulndt it be hooked up? My dad has never heard of a switch for a pump on a PWC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someome may have installed an aftermarket bilge pump or started to and did not finish the project. We have them on our machines but ours use a float system but not a switch. Some do use switches though. I would just follow the wires and see where it leads to and then post a pocture of where they lead to.

I brought it used. I will post pics on Saturday of it and where it leads to. The stereo guys made it sound like there was a switch, but no wires connecting to it. I do remember a white piece in the hull towards the back right side that had a hose like thread inside. It had nothing connecting it. The hole in the white piece was also sealed from the outside. Could that have been the starting of adding a bilge pump and never finished? It is gone now from the speakers.

could be. people who leave there skis sit in water for long periods of time often add additional pumps.

some skis. (GSX & XP depending on year) have electric pumps in addition to the siphon ones.

these pumps are electronic. When supplied power they spin up every 5 min (i think) and 'check' for water by determining load on the motor

found water = run for 90 seconds then check again

no load = try again in 5 min

there is also usually a way to add a switch that say 'just run'

the float style is for leaving it sit for long periods of time, however I'm not sure how well a float would hold up in a PWC.

I will double check to see if it connecting to anything. But, if its not. I do not need to have a bilge pump installed since it is never left in water over night correct?

I went down to a service center to get a new DESS key as a back up. I ended up talking to the mechanic and told him about my stereo. He said, you should get an ACR. And that it won't fry the system at all because the output never changes and it is only charging one battery, not two at a time and that the ski won't recognize there is two batteries, just the one the relay says to charge... I told him I heard otherwise and will go down the safe route unless he will install the ACR and if something happens to my ski, it will be covered and he said he can't legally make that agreement.

Different opinions, but Id rather have a dead radio than a dead ski on water.

Just got bummed that Lake mead/Mohave,az/nv is actually enforcing the two stroke ban on PWC only, not on boats which doesnt make sense. Use to go there 8-10 a year to meet up with family friends. Now, will just have to stick to lake havasu waters.

that's such bull shit. Even back in 99 when my GTX was new it smoked WAY less than any existing 2 stroke outboard. If 2 strokes are such a problem, BAN ALL TWO STROKES.

Stick an outboard on your PWC.

That is exactly what people are saying. Originally when the ban was proposed, it including outboards, then they said they are not going to ban outboards and unsure on when they will. They will not do it probably because of the loss of revenue from entrance fees, etc. Not sure if you are familiar with these lakes but it is a joke. lake havasu, you can travel all the way up to Laughlin and then There is a dam. The dam is where lake Mohave starts. But, since lake Mohave/ mead is a national park, they can enforce it there and not havasu/ Laughlin. They stated they hired more personnel and went through the excessive training to tell the difference between csrbs snd fuel injected when they lift your seat. What happened to budget cuts? Oh and a correction to the ban. If you have a two stroke direct injection pwc, you are allowed on water. They are looking for carbs. But ANY outboard can use the water.

Makes no sense! They claim there are retrofits to convert, but I have heard of none. Guess all my money is all going on the other side of the dam.

Just follow what your gut and the rest of us are telling you, keep the two power systems separate. You are just asking for problems connecting the two batteries to the ski's power system. Like others have said the charging system on these are very basic and can barley keep the stock battery charged. This is not in any way like an alternator charging system. Even if you did connect the stereo battery it would never recharge it in a day of riding and listening to the stereo.

DAMN Mojave! It has been years but I loved exploring the coves of that lake on my 2-Smoke!

my wife and I were at LHC for the ISJBA world Champs in 2012. Rented a ski for 4 hours :)

Yep, I'm aware of LHC :)

I'll buy a broken fuel rail from a DI ski and bolt it to my XP ;)

pwc stereo

Well I just dropped off my sea doo at the stereo shop. The owner was convinced that adding a isolator or an automatic charging relay would work. I explained him that I was told it would fry or overload the stator and magneto. But he was convinced it would be fine since it would only charge the second battery if the first battery was full and wouldn't charge both at the same time. AND, it would be an extra $250 for the install and many people have had a second battery on a 2 stroke and been just fine..
Rather than argue with someone who thinks they are right and won't pay the bill when I fry my jet ski, I just said I will bring him the battery I brought later and have him install it later on and to just have it connected to the main battery for now. But, really I will just have my dad install the second battery and not have it connecting anything. And charge every night. And it isn't going to cost my dad $250 to put a battery in.

I found my pwc odyssey battery works great and can run my stereo all day and loud as hell! I found the Jensen waterproof radio works great. The model # MS30 is waterproof and is compact enough for all skis. I run 4 6 1/2 marine speakers that are super loud and most people cant believe its a ski making all that noise! I can hear it no problem at full throttle too. Had it on for 2 seasons and never had a problem yet with mpem so knock on some wood. Good luck guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20120916_122412.jpg
    IMG_20120916_122412.jpg
    895.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20120916_122359.jpg
    IMG_20120916_122359.jpg
    704.1 KB · Views: 28
Do you have one battery or a 2nd battery that is a odyssey? If you only have one, how much AH is it? Are you running an amp? My stereo guys think I will be using 6-8 AH when the stereo is flipped on and if it is blasted loud. Is that a USB charger also? Nice setup. It loos similar to what I got. Except I don't have a stereo deck/ receiver.

Only running one battery and it keeps a great charge forsuch a small battery. I also use it as a shop radio when im working on things around the garage due to the constant wrenching on Seadoos. Its a deep cell Odyssey battery I will check the model # in a bit if you want it. Wired directly to the battery using 15 amp fuse and also fused behind radio with 7.5 amp fuse for added safety. Four 6.5 2way marine speakers that make some boat owners jealous out here in AZ. The deck was only $110 on ebay and has usb, preamp connections, radio receiver,mp3 great deal and its waterproof Battery was only $109 from batteries plus. I charge it every now and then but never run dead yet as long I make sure to charge it night before. This is my second creation of a Seadoo with onboard stereo. First Doo was very crude but this one I put way more thought into it. Had to be careful when placing the deck because of the steering but theres plenty of clearance if planned out. Was so nervous bout cutting holes in a perfect hull for the speakers! Let me know if you guys have any questions. If you are anything like me, I love to cruise with tunes blasting on everything I own!

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Here are better pictures. The Pyle knob is on my right hand so I can turn it up and down without opening the center box. Turns out I can't record a video and have my iphone playing music:/ but it is loud and with the type S apline speakers, the bass through the hull vibrates like crazy. Had to order another otterbox, because my dad cracked it bolting it down.

Tryingtopaint- I would love to do just one battery but that scares me. Yeah, if you can let me know that model it is so I can see if it will work for me.

The battery is a PC625 apparently its a common pwc battery but bout twice as expensive as a normal pwc battery. Totally worth it with a year warranty. I have ran the setup for two seasons on the water and lots of shop hours just idle playing in the garage, never had any issues starting the ski after blasting all day IMO loud as hell. Never messed with mpem and I understand that Seadoos are delicate as far as their electronics but thats why the Doo's have fused mpem. Not gonna say something bad cant happen but if wired correctly it shouldn't. I used the pyle system on my first Doo creation and got decent results but was way more impressed with the Jensen sound quality and functions opposed to the volume knob on the Pyle and never had good results with the auxiliary jack due to the bouncing around would sometimes knock out my mp3 player.

Hmm. I was told that I need a 26-30 AP deep cell just to run the stereo all day and that odyssey is I think 19ah. Now I am confused haha. I trust that it will work all day, but wondering why I was told to get a battery with a higher AH. Yeah, I ended up with the pyle amp because my dad never used it. Thanks for the heads up that I might be able to use one battery, but I might just have a separate one just to be on the super safe side. Better than having one, and something happens and wishing if I had put two in, I wouldn't be dead on the water. But now I am confused on why I needed a bigger AH battery

Maybe I will upgrade next season, but the alpine speakers are plenty loud and produce great bass hooked up to the pyle amp.

Yeah, I was worried about that, that is why I got a clear waterproof hard shell case that will be bolted down inside the center compartment and it won't move after that.

Attwood makes bilge pumps. So it looks like someone installed one on your machine but took it out for some reason. You should also have a hole somewhere where the water would exit, it would look like the white plug in the picture.

624.jpg

I had that white plug and it was sealed in the inside. The stereo guys removed it since that is where a speaker was. Was that ok that it was removed since the bilge pump was taken out?

Yup that is fine. It did not come stock like that. Most people do not install them. Most people that do install them put the outlet on the back of the hull so you got lucky that it was in the spot you were putting your speakers. This way you did not have to fill the hole with some sort of sealant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back