99 GTI electrical issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

BradTanner

Hi all,
A little history on this GTI , the owner of the machine was using over this last summer and got to my side of the lake to visit . As hr was getting ready to leave it was not running right and wouldn’t get up on plane . He returned and we ran it up on shore where we found the engine compartment was full of water . After draining it we found the 2 control rods that stick out thru the hull for reverse and steering were broken and allowing water into the engine compartment . He went to his house and got his ski boat and got it back to the lift . He never fixed the known problems and when it came time to pull and winterize he could not get it to start so he hooked it up to his pickup truck to get it to start . It ran for jus a few seconds and then shut down and wouldn’t restart .

He brought it to my garage so we could repair the leaks and get it to run . The leaks are fixed but it still won’t run . I’ve been doing a lot of reading and have realized that there are so many things that he has done wrong. After chasing wiring and everything else I am to the point where the 5amp fuse in the MPEM will constantly blow . Reading more I have unhooked the connector at the front of the motor going to the stator and the 5amp fuse won’t blow .

The safety switch will not give the tell tale beeps ( gauges don’t move either) and pushing the start button 5 time and then applying the safety switch gets me nothing

This leads me to my question . Is the MPEM shot ( diode?) or is there something going on inside the front of the engine with the magneto ?
I’m hoping someone can steer me in the right direction .

Thanks in advance
Brad

Back