new to the sport and looking for some advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rparry88

hello everyone im ryan, new here and just looking for some friendly advice.
I am considering trading my atv for a 98 seadoo gsx 800 with the white motor and just wanted to get some opinions from some people already well into the sport. I have been in touch with the guy for the last week, he has sent me photos and videos and it looks to be spotless and in very good shape. He has all the paperwork and said it was recently tuned up and registered for this season already and comes with trailer cover, ropes, unopened jug of seadoo oil. He said he bought it a couple years back from the original owner and has been very good about maintenance. He said that he hasnt changed anything on the machine and it is 100% stock. Everything works as it should trim too. There are currently 84.3hrs on it.

what Id like to know is,
-what are some of the more common problems with these year/models?
-should i expect to be replacing anything major at this amount of hrs?
-what are some MUST check things to look for when inspecting the machine for problems?and how do I check them?

A friend of mine advised me to let it run till its at operating temp then shut it off and try starting it again, something with a valve that wears out will make it hard to start once warmed up

please give me a few pointers and tips on how to assess if its worth my time, i dont want to screw myself because my atv is in perfect condition and id hate to trade it away for something thats junk.
thanks in advance, ryan

jetski2.jpgjetski4.jpgjetski5.jpgjetski7.jpegjetski1.jpg

Well, I'm no expert, but I can see two things that don't backup his story. (Ok, I lied, I do know something about SEA-DOOs ;)) And have the amazing ability to look at something and instantly spot every imperfection ever.

1.the finger throttle isn't stock - not a big deal.

2. what has me concerned is the paint chips on the head bolts.

you don't take apart a working engine for fun.

someone's had that head off. For some reason.

I'd ask about the head bolts, see what the seller says.

that's also an after market intake / air box.

the hyrdro turf is also not 'stock'.

so, no it's not 100% stock.

however that's a 787 RAVE engine and thus is one of the more reliable engines. However it is prone to a rotary valve leak, which will make it hard to start after it sits for a few weeks unused.

But, overall, it still looks to be in good shape.

DO NOT FINALIZE the deal without a WATER TEST.

don't even waste your time starting it on land for a 'test'.

get to a lake and RIDE it.

Actually, for the year, it's in GREAT shape. that's the original seat.

when people re-cover seats they don't paint the SEA-DOO on the sides...

the GSX is a wicked 'fun' hull. you can ride single or two up. the hull loves to jump, and spin and slide.

Welcome to PWC, so please operate your boat with respect to others and responsibly. PWC operators get a bad reputation each time someone rides like a jackass. Keep 100+ feet from other water craft, and never operate in a dangerous manner.

thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
spot on lou.. saved me the trouble of hurting my neck looking at the sideway's pic's :)

excellent post... I agree 100%..

One more thing to add unless you meant 97 instead of 98. It looks like a 97 to me and ive always told myself when buying something if they dont even know the year then how can they remember whats been done

Hey im pretty sure its got a pump nozzle on the back end too! That finger throttle wasnt cheap. There a little money put into this ski. Find out why the motor was taken apart. Check The compression if you can. Its a gauge that you screw into the spark plug holes. Take both plugs out, screw the tester into the hole, hold the throttle wide open and push the start button. Stop when the needle stops moving. Should be 150 in each hole. If you go to oreillys or auto zone they will let you borrow one for a couple bux. Its worth it to find out if the motor is blown up or not. And like Spim and Sqrl said, water test, water test, water test. What atv are you trading him might we ask?? That ski as it sits assuming it runs good, is maybe like 1500-2000 here in indiana. This time of year closer to 2000.

Wow upon a second look its got beach house sponsoons, and a dif carb on there. This ski is not stock at all lol. But those are all pretty good mods assuming the carbs were jetted right.

Yeah there is a good amount of aftermarket goodies on there it looks like. I see a "Group K" sticker on there...which means that it could definitely have some motor work done to it or that could just be the carbs that they have worked on. Who knows could have a big bore kit in there. Also looks like an R&D nozzle on there.

Yeah I am kind of an atv guy myself. Which quad are you trading to get into this?

Ah, different ski, sorry. Nice handle bars mods on this one but I don't care for the pink anodized aluminum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back