New to the Sea-doo world

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually new to boating period. I've been wanting to get into it for a while. I have 2 boys 13&15 who like sports and a GF who likes to fish, but the priority is a toy.

I'm thinking of a later model Speedster. Probably a 200, but possibly a 150 or even an 18' Challenger. I've got a few friends I can turn to, but I like the online forum as well. I'll take advice or pointers from those with more experience. Thanks!

Well, I'm not sure a jet boat is the best boat for a beginner.... I mean, they have pros and cons.... but they are definitely harder to control at low speed than conventional outboard or i/o boats..... docking takes practice with a jet boat.... Im just sayin....
Also, my 99 Speedster has no windshield to speak of... I wish it did because at 50mph the wind is intense and you gotta wear close fitting wrap around glasses or goggles..... I love my boat, but it isn't perfect, and I'm glad it wasnt my very first boat. I've had boats for 30 years and this is my first jet.... takes some getting used to for sure.....but I dig it!

Well, I'm not sure a jet boat is the best boat for a beginner.... I mean, they have pros and cons.... but they are definitely harder to control at low speed than conventional outboard or i/o boats..... docking takes practice with a jet boat.... Im just sayin....
Also, my 99 Speedster has no windshield to speak of... I wish it did because at 50mph the wind is intense and you gotta wear close fitting wrap around glasses or goggles..... I love my boat, but it isn't perfect, and I'm glad it wasnt my very first boat. I've had boats for 30 years and this is my first jet.... takes some getting used to for sure.....but I dig it!
Thanks! That's why I'm posting here, experienced opinions. I think I may have some transferable life skills and good mentoring :) Maybe I should start with a beater like my first car!! Windshield is a good point though, so between that, and a deeper V for rough water, and getting used to docking, I have some aspects to think about. I'm in Canada and it's Feb, so I'll think out loud now and try to learn from the experience on the board. I read elsewhere that docking a jet isn't necessarily harder but requires way more throttle lever movement - such that if you go back to props you'll overcontrol, hilarity and damage ensues. Also, 2 engines may make it more maneuverable - more complicated, but that is actually in my wheelhouse of skills. I'll keep thinking...

The jet engines actually make it less maneuverable especially when docking. The most maneuverable is going to be as stern drive also known as an I.O or Inboard/Outboard because you are actually moving the entire prop in the direction you want to go.

In a jet or direct drive you have little to no steering in reverse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back