New to me, 2005 UTOPIA 205 SE with 250 Merc.

DIY or PAY?

• DIY

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • PAY

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

J20BURCH

I just went to Florida and picked up this boat (2005 Utopia) from a friend. Free boat just had to make the drive to Florida and back. I have had it for less than a week, have it mostly cleaned up after it sat for almost 3 years untouched. There was zero problems with this boat prior to being put into storage, what should I do to get it water ready? Obvious answers like Fuel and Oil are welcomed as I know nothing. Would like to try to work on it myself. Thanks everyone!

Free boat? That 's the best kind!

Do you have the service book?
It's a good thing you want to work on yourself, because no one else will. Not Merc or SeaDoo.

Fuel filters- there are several. Oil- make sure that the header oil tank is full of fresh oil. The pee hole on the stern- make sure it is clear- no bugs clogging it. Gear and stator oil- change it. Battery- at least have it tested, if not replaced. Air intake- clean and clear- no bugs or dirt. Spark plugs- change them. Use OEM spec plugs. If you have the 250, that is the Optimax engine. Check fuel pressure and air pressure. Change the belt while you are there. If you dig around here, someone put up the p/n for generic belt. $60 from Merc. Check wires for obvious damage and critter bites.

I am sure there is more, but this is a start.

Awesome feedback. Do not believe I have the service book. I will go through this list and find all the how to's I might need. Honestly the motor looks great to the eye so these were the exact things i was looking for. I plann on draining the fuel and oil somehow (recommendations?), spark plugs are now on the list. Is it safe to use aircompressor to blow out the items listed?

Awesome feedback. Do not believe I have the service book. I will go through this list and find all the how to's I might need. Honestly the motor looks great to the eye so these were the exact things i was looking for. I plann on draining the fuel and oil somehow (recommendations?), spark plugs are now on the list. Is it safe to use aircompressor to blow out the items listed?

since you know the history of the boat that seems to be a plus vs buying it off a seller from craigslist or other online sites, I'd recommend just checking the compression of the motor just to check the condition of the boats health.

I just went to Florida and picked up this boat (2005 Utopia) from a friend. Free boat just had to make the drive to Florida and back. I have had it for less than a week, have it mostly cleaned up after it sat for almost 3 years untouched. There was zero problems with this boat prior to being put into storage, what should I do to get it water ready? Obvious answers like Fuel and Oil are welcomed as I know nothing. Would like to try to work on it myself. Thanks everyone!

A few additional items-
From the jet nozzle; move the nozzle left/right. Any crunching/grinding noise is indicitive of impending failure of the cable. Same for the shift cable. The cables are marine control cables, not SeaDoo items. You can find them on ebay.

While you are there, the rubber bellows on both cable ends are maintenance items for yearly replacement. If the boat sat for 3 years, yours are overdue. These are to protect the respective cable from water intrusion. I have tried to find aftermarket, but could not. Only Merc OEM. They are 2 different p/n.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back