2002 utopia 205 with 2001 mercury m2 efi 240

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

guyettesherry

I have a 2002 utopia ran great the first two years I had it. I was putting ethanol gas in it, and learned the hard way! All my pumps were clogged. Changed out everything fuel wise. Gas tank was pumped fresh non ethanol gas/ and treatment. First mechanic says he has it running. Wouldn’t start prior. When I picked up battery was dead so I installed a new one. Tried running in the water several times it ran like crap could tell I wasn’t getting enough fuel. Anyways it ran once for ten min straight with my mechanic in the boat. Never ran good again. I took it out keep fouling plugs. Took it to a seadoo dealer and they said it was the reeds changed those, changed another fuel pump again. Now saying when the power to the boat is on it continuously pumps fuel to the engine. When the key is in off but power's on it doesn’t stop pumping. They say it’s an ecu. They don’t make them anymore ‍♀️

I have a 2002 utopia ran great the first two years I had it. I was putting ethanol gas in it, and learned the hard way! All my pumps were clogged. Changed out everything fuel wise. Gas tank was pumped fresh non ethanol gas/ and treatment. First mechanic says he has it running. Wouldn’t start prior. When I picked up battery was dead so I installed a new one. Tried running in the water several times it ran like crap could tell I wasn’t getting enough fuel. Anyways it ran once for ten min straight with my mechanic in the boat. Never ran good again. I took it out keep fouling plugs. Took it to a seadoo dealer and they said it was the reeds changed those, changed another fuel pump again. Now saying when the power to the boat is on it continuously pumps fuel to the engine. When the key is in off but power's on it doesn’t stop pumping. They say it’s an ecu. They don’t make them anymore ‍♀️

You were lucky (maybe unlucky) to find a shop that would work on your boat.

I run 10% ethanol gas all the time. No problems.

How about some details:
What is your VST pressure? What tells you that it is not getting enough fuel?
What max RPM can you get in the water?
Have you done a compression test lately? On the trailer, all spark plugs out, at full throttle.
What is the voltage output from each regulator while running?
Has ignition timing ever been checked?
Using a spark tester (or 6) can you confirm spark on all 6 at WOT?
How did the reeds fail? Lose a petal (leaf)? It would have passed thru the engine possibly doing significant damage.
The ECU on the front of the engine seldom fail. Have you checked the round connector from the ECU? All pins clean. The only company I have heard of repairing these is Brocato.com (sp). Merc made thousands of these ECUs.
Have you checked all the ground wires? There are several, including each coil.

I will run all this buy the place that’s working on my boat. I live in Northern Ny it gets cold here so that was the concern I think with the ethanol gas. Roberts in Malone the place fixing my boat there a seadoo dealer. Well I think they have given up thinking it’s the ecu and they have had no luck finding one.

If you keep fouling plugs,,a couple possible causes sre
1:,,a weak battery...weak spark..
2: ,it is not charging...weak spark
3:,,leaking injectors,,,too much fuel
...for the plugs to foul, there may be a overabundance of unburnt fuel.,,or not enough spark,,,

I will run all this buy the place that’s working on my boat. I live in Northern Ny it gets cold here so that was the concern I think with the ethanol gas. Roberts in Malone the place fixing my boat there a seadoo dealer. Well I think they have given up thinking it’s the ecu and they have had no luck finding one.
The dreaded TPS may have failed. Sending full fuel at idle, flooding the engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back