New to Engine R&R

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

broKENseadoo

I know I sound rookie...but I've been given a 96' and 98' GTX with engines locked....what year models interchange engines? The 96' has an 787 and the 98' has a 951.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the first thing I would do is take a close look at what is going on with the engines that are in the skis ... Next if I was going to get a replacement engine, I would stick with what is in the ski...

Get a premium membership at this site there is tons of support, I had one when I had older used skis, and it was one of the best investments I made..

I dont know where in atlanta you live, but send me a PM, and I'll try to help out if I can..

I agree....

Well the first thing I would do is take a close look at what is going on with the engines that are in the skis ... Next if I was going to get a replacement engine, I would stick with what is in the ski...

Get a premium membership at this site there is tons of support, I had one when I had older used skis, and it was one of the best investments I made..

I dont know where in atlanta you live, but send me a PM, and I'll try to help out if I can..

:agree: with ya dlowings. You'll def want to stick with the same motor. The electrical systems are not interchangeable. The 787 uses the CDI and the 951 uses the DC CDI. That would mean a complete electrical wiring change out if you went with different motors.

Figure out what is wrong with what you got. Once you do that, you might be able to invest a couple hundred bucks rather than a few thousand on remanufactured motors.:cheers:

good advice

sounds like sound advice...I will tear into both and isolate what went south first....then get back to yall.....THANKS!

96 and 98 GTX

ok...I have torn down the 96' and the crank is locked and the crankcase has a crack in it. the 98 crank is also locked up. turns out both locked up at 400hrs.

Oouch...

ok...I have torn down the 96' and the crank is locked and the crankcase has a crack in it. the 98 crank is also locked up. turns out both locked up at 400hrs.

Bummer.... cracked casing? That's not good. This will not be a good core for a remanufactured one either. They'll charge you additional for welding.

Are you going to do the rebuilds youself?

Since I anticipate a decent tax return I am concidering just purchasing 2 remanned engines....the pumps etc seem ok. Any insight on where I can purchase these close by? I live in Atlanta, Ga.

Sbt...

Most members I have worked with and myself included use SBT for their engine replacements. They have a huge inventory of engines and all the accessories you need to do the job. They also provide a one year no fault warranty on their standard engines.

The 951cc. in the 98 model will run you about $1200 bucks. The 787cc in the 96 about $850. But, any damage to the casings will cost you in your core return. They will charge you for welding repairs.

If you chose to go SBT, they will have it delivered to your door by UPS. The engine weighs about 75 pounds, so it's not unmanagable to move around. Once you strip down the engine, the shortblock with heads isn't really that much weight.

For all other parts you might need, I use www.seadoowarehouse.com. They got some great deals on older model parts for the Seadoo skis. Check them out!!!!:cheers:

Cases

SBT usually doesn't charge anything for cracked cases as long as there are no missing pieces.
Good Luck, DAWG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back