New Scarab with seadoo rotax

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Im pretty excited for this actually. A company that is known for making a good quality product cobined with the powerplants we all love. I havent found any pricing yet, but ive read they will come in 16 to 24 ft with the same engines we have seen in the latest sea doo boats. Might be a couple years before im ready to buy a new one though.

And I thought I read there was another boat company that was going to be using the engines too. I just cant remember where I read it.

I swear the insides look almost like my 2006 challenger down to even the speaker placements. The back deck is a bit nicer. I wonder if they licensed the molds as well with updates.

I swear the insides look almost like my 2006 challenger down to even the speaker placements. The back deck is a bit nicer. I wonder if they licensed the molds as well with updates.

It does looks like the Doo, look at the beltline for the rub rail and the back of the Scarab does look good, the Glastron also has a similar set-up, much nicer than having to climb over or up and over.

Glastron is getting into it, both are owned by the same holding company.

The GT 187 looks hot as well.

http://www.glastron.com/details/GT187
The Glastron has that update of old styling, much like what was done with the Mustang and Camero of recent. I look at that boat and I can't help but think 1970s.

Here is the new boat:
glastron 187.jpg

Now compare the lines to the classic James Bond flying boat jump:
007glastron.jpg
Granted the window is little more curved, it still has those strong straight lines. Here is an other example showing the strong straight lines. Granted bow riders were unheard of in the 70s.
79gl-coverpiccrop.jpg

Part of the emphasis of design is the alternating color patterns that show off those strong lines. In the update version it's taken to extreme. The bond boat shows and here is a way older Glastron with a more subdued alternating color design in red/white:
paul-Glastron2.jpg

One of the reasons I like the Sea Doo Challenger design is the smoothness of the curves giving a rich organic feel. It reminds me of a humpback whale. Sadly those design are going away.

There may be a good reason SeaRay cancelled, SeaRay is owned by Brunswick Corp., that also owns among others, Bayliner, Lowes, Boston Whaler and most important Mercury Marine.

I'm thinking the reason(s) BRP got out of the boat business probably two fold, the Spark, and more freedom to sell Rotax engines to other boat builders.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
Granted the window is little more curved, it still has those strong straight lines.

That's what makes everyone different, I love the straight lines and retro style. You should see my kitchen--Contemporary style--clean lines, high gloss white cabinetry that you can shave in.

There may be a good reason SeaRay cancelled, SeaRay is owned by Brunswick Corp., that also owns among others, Bayliner, Lowes, Boston Whaler and most important Mercury Marine.

I'm thinking the reason(s) BRP got out of the boat business probably two fold, the Spark, and more freedom to sell Rotax engines to other boat builders.

Lou

Agree on the first point, all of that is true.

On the second point, it's a very complicated issue. Yamaha's sterndrive was abandoned totally, but not quite forgotten by all.

I have personally driven the Glastron and the new Scarab Impulse and I have to say that I was very impressed with the power on both boats. Looks like they will have the 255hp supercharged motor available in both models. All that extra power really helps the boat power out of the turns.

The only complaint I had was with the Glastron. It was a bit light on storage space.

Both had really great swim platforms with cushions built in and the Scarab has a really neat folding bench seat that converts to a sunpad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZwGVzhzks&feature=share&list=PLXGybgV40uJAHjdAyIS9hL58uxTGB_LPP

Saw the scarab at the boat show. The 195 was going for $45.999 Canadian. I opted to buy a 2010 seadoo 210se. To be honest the look of the new scarab is nearly identical to the late model seadoo. I wanted the twin engines and after spending $$$$$$$$ last year on my 1998 challenger 1800 I just couldn't afford the brand new boat. But my new ones got warranty left on it and a mere 45 hours so at least this year I'll be on the boat not working on it... I hope!

I have personally driven the Glastron and the new Scarab Impulse and I have to say that I was very impressed with the power on both boats. Looks like they will have the 255hp supercharged motor available in both models. All that extra power really helps the boat power out of the turns.

The only complaint I had was with the Glastron. It was a bit light on storage space.

Both had really great swim platforms with cushions built in and the Scarab has a really neat folding bench seat that converts to a sunpad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjZwGVzhzks&feature=share&list=PLXGybgV40uJAHjdAyIS9hL58uxTGB_LPP

Doesn't look like there is much room for a mechanic to work on the motor. Do any hatches open to reveal more of the engine?

If the new Scarab was a woman, she'd be a 10. The Chaparral looks great too, maybe a little overboard with the graphics, but to each is own.

Lou

Last edited by a moderator:
It's always said that when a vacuum exists, it will be filled by something.

I still can't fathom why BRP got out of the market. I know they had a small market share, but that's marketing. They had the best boat and feature set. They just needed to MARKET it better. Maybe they're smart and can make more selling powerplants to everyone else, but couldn't they have done that while keeping their own line? If you want an NA powerplant 19-20' boat with a fair amount of power, the base Scarab 215 (twin 150hp) is the only viable option. I haven't seen the numbers, but would expect similar performance to the Utopia 205 310.

Back