New projects :)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll tell you what, I just did a 951 install in a gtx, $500 to $750 is more what I would charge, is bet a shop is prolly a G. Now, I went above and beyond. I bead blast and paint the exhaust, mag housing etc...., clean the inside of the hull. Basically, a mini resto. I quoted below that $500 mark but when he saw it he gave me more than the $500 mark. This was for a 70 yo guy who had nothing but bad luck with his purchase of this ski, it worked but not to its potential. I get regular texts that it's running flawless.

Here's just before I finished.
7328200243a5259631b7f4bd73905e1f.jpg

Last edited:
Did some work today.
Added plate, new chains and a wheel jack to the front of the new trailer. Only need a few tires now. (I'm just picky) Added a new jack to the flatbed thing and started pulling the lights off. it.

I removed the driveshaft from the 2000 xp, the carrier bearing is well non existent. The pump is toast but my friend had an entire pump i could have to test with until I get another or rebuild mine.

Hooked up the computer and:
The 97 xp has 180 hours on it
The 2000 xp has 115 hours on it.

I know the 97 will need lines, carbs done, fuel selector, F1 fix, a major cleaning, beeper. And I think that's it!!
Well it has a year old tank of gas nearly 3/4 full too. I wonder how good it will be.

The 2000 will need a pump, steady bearing, fuel selector, F1 fix, carb rebuild, beeper, and I'm not sure what else yet. Don't think it has more than a 1/4 tank of fuel.

Both of them just had the VTS module replaced!!!
Some pics
Literally no wear ring left.
20180816_194059.jpg
Nothing left in steady bearing.
20180817_205535.jpg

Last edited:
I'll tell you what, I just did a 951 install in a gtx, $500 to $750 is more what I would charge, is bet a shop is prolly a G. Now, I went above and beyond. I bead blast and paint the exhaust, mag housing etc...., clean the inside of the hull. Basically, a mini resto. I quoted below that $500 mark but when he saw it he gave me more than the $500 mark. This was for a 70 yo guy who had nothing but bad luck with his purchase of this ski, it worked but not to its potential. I get regular texts that it's running flawless.

Nice work!

For a shop to do it expect close to 4500 all done.
At 100$ an hour. Cost of engine and misc parts that you need. It gets up there.

I did a 2005 GTI recently. And with a new crank, top end, boring and having to scrounge parts and order new it came to 2800 for my time and parts and engine and traveling and installing, and fixing the rest of the support system that failed and caused this in the first place.
Shops double that around here and do bare minimum. Its hard to find people that care when the point is to make money.

Last edited:
I want to replace the decals on these things as well. What is there for original replacements and for aftermarket ?
The 2000 Also has abad mix of black and yellow. What do you guys think of replacing the bumpers and side rails with black instead of yellow?

Did some work on it. Installed another jet pump and steady bearing.
Ran it a little warm, fogged it and let it sit with the plugs out to evacuate the remaining water. Did that twice before it got completely cool.
Ran it on the hose. Water moved pretty freely and came out of the side port and rear port. But the tunes pipe is cracked where the water jacket ends. Looks like it's a good thing I just picked up a good pipe and muffler set.
Now on to cleaning it up and maybe a very short water test.
Then back on land and removing the engine, carbs rebuild and fuel line replacement. Along with all the other nitpicky things I usually mess with.

Question:
I have a 96 gsx (first machine)
2000 gs with upgrades
97 xp
98xpl
2000 xpl
I'd like to keep the 96 and 2000 xpl as my main 2.
But what would be the best combo to keep for you guys ? I'm a little partial to the gs because it's the best looking and most stable machine I have.

Did some work on it. Installed another jet pump and steady bearing.
Ran it a little warm, fogged it and let it sit with the plugs out to evacuate the remaining water. Did that twice before it got completely cool.
Ran it on the hose. Water moved pretty freely and came out of the side port and rear port. But the tunes pipe is cracked where the water jacket ends. Looks like it's a good thing I just picked up a good pipe and muffler set.
Now on to cleaning it up and maybe a very short water test.
Then back on land and removing the engine, carbs rebuild and fuel line replacement. Along with all the other nitpicky things I usually mess with.

Question:
I have a 96 gsx (first machine)
2000 gs with upgrades
97 xp
98xpl
2000 xpl
I'd like to keep the 96 and 2000 xpl as my main 2.
But what would be the best combo to keep for you guys ? I'm a little partial to the gs because it's the best looking and most stable machine I have.

I'm partial to the 96' gsx, and one of the 98' or 00' XPL's. Personally I'd sell a few and get a nice 3 seater for those leisure sunset rides.

2000 XPL and 1996 GSX. Easy decision. The 97 XP is underpowered and the 98' XPL had a few issues the 2000 fixed. THe GS is just an underpowered GSX so don't bother.

Yeah that's what I'm feeling too.
I liked the gs because I added the info center and all the sensors from a gtx.
Think I might take the sensors off it and keep those for the 00 xpl.
I plan on adding that but not sure what to do with the other gauges.
Should I keep the tach or the speedo.
I like having the normal tach and digital tach. But I'm also going to have redundant fuel and vts gauges. I could wire them all to work or remove them.
Kind of reminds me of aircraft gauges. Where there are all the new digital and the mechanical backups.

Oh and here's a pic of the cracked exhaust

Screenshot_20180823-215826_Gallery.jpg

2000 XPL and 1996 GSX. Easy decision. The 97 XP is underpowered and the 98' XPL had a few issues the 2000 fixed. THe GS is just an underpowered GSX so don't bother.

What issues?? I have a 98 I will be working on pretty soon. Is it something I can address while I am in there?

Same here I haven't touched my 98 yet and I'm just curious what kind of issues they were having that was fixed in 2000.

I did notice some differences inside the hull.
For instance the 98 has the square lock box in the front and the 2000 has more the rectangle one and in 98 they still had the carburetor driving the oil pump cable where as the 2000 it was one cable separated into two and there was a position sensor on it.

The 1998 I am pretty sure still had the vent holes in the front that take on water. Different electronics, old style driveshaft seal (not carbon ring) and gasket at pipe to manifold instead of the improved o-ring, did not come with the pipe to manifold "diaper". I think that's about it.

Yeah I see those difference now that you point that out.

For decals should I go stock or something else? I'm not good at visualizing what works on this thing yet.

Same for the 96 xp. What should I do for graphics?
The decals on it are terrible.

Last edited:
Hmmmm.... I will check on this
Yeah I see those difference now that you point that out.

For decals should I go stock or something else? I'm not good at visualizing what works on this thing yet.

Same for the 96 xp. What should I do for graphics?
The decals on it are terrible.

Man you and I have the same skis we are working on. I have to paint my 96XP above the water line because of damage. I haven't worked on it in a few weeks. All I need is a few hours to get it ready. I am reluctant to pull the dash graphics off even though I know it would make a better job. I really don't care of the graphics on the skis enough to put them back on especially at the current prices.

My 98, I have not started on at all. Gonna be a winter project but you motivating me. :)

Hmmmm.... I will check on this

Man you and I have the same skis we are working on. I have to paint my 96XP above the water line because of damage. I haven't worked on it in a few weeks. All I need is a few hours to get it ready. I am reluctant to pull the dash graphics off even though I know it would make a better job. I really don't care of the graphics on the skis enough to put them back on especially at the current prices.

My 98, I have not started on at all. Gonna be a winter project but you motivating me. :)

The 98 I know will work. I fixed it last year but I dont know how much I trust it yet. Since it sat I'm going to tear it apart but that will be after the 97 and 2000 are done. And possibly sell the gs...

But the 97 and 2000 are now both running and driving. Still need to really dig into them but I know they work plain and simple. On to carbs line and F1 fuses. Oh and raves.
Both engines actually have good compression and sound tight with water running.

Going to build the 97 to sell. But the 2000 I've decided to keep.
What would be the best crank and pistons for a 951? Thinking hotrods and prox but know nothing about them yet.

Absolutely not hot rods they have become poor quality.

Best crank is OEM. Best pistons is OEM DI pistons. Second best is standard OEM third best is pro-X.

Good to know, thanks miki.

Having a hard time finding oem for a decent price around here.

Why OEM di pistons? What's the difference ?

They have a special hard coating that makes them more durable since the DI is a lean burn engine. They were also suggested by some in the RXX since it’s making so much power.

Otherwise same piston? Just a drop in ? I'm dealing with what looks like a never touched engine. So .25 should clean it up and oem pistons for the 951 I thought only had one oversize.

Stock pistons are 87.88 mm and seadoo sells first over 88.16 mm DI pistons too. $127

You would also be fine using the regular OEM pistons too. $97.

Who has oem cranks for sale these days? Local to me only rebuilds are available for close to 1000.

Pro Caliber out of Washington is $394.39 for OEM with free shipping and you ship back your core for credit. PWC Muscle said they will match pricing too.

Buut what if I'm in Canada. Guessing 75 for shipping each way and import fees and such. But yeah that is a good price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back