RESTO New member with 1998 XP that runs then bogs down, then runs then bogs down....

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

330Captain

Hi Guys,
I'm fixing my non-mechanical brother's 1998 XP... it starts fine and runs fine even at WOT...for about 5 to 20 seconds....then bogs down to idle. Wait 5-10 seconds, it'll run WOT just fine---for 5-20 seconds. Add infinitum!!! I think it's a fuel pump or internal fuel filter just upstream of the entry into the carbs.
Any help is greatly appreciated....as I am a Mercury outboard mech who's never even seen a rotax before.
Secondly: the serial number on the engine is: 4282379 Can you guide me to a "look up" site to learn the year/H.P., etc of the engine?
Thanks... Bruce (330Capt.)...

Do a compression test,,,sounds like a partial seizure cycle,,,rule that out right away,,,the rest then is eazypeazy,,,

You want around 135,,but gauges are not perfect,,so the cylinders should be within 10% of eachother...lets rule out any mechanical issues,,,

Sounds like fuel starvation.

Follow this exactly..Seadoo Carb Rebuild Thread.
Yes... no doubt about that it's a fuel issue. My approach is to wire in a fuel pump to see if it's a bad pump.... then, pull the covers off the fuel supply intake plates and check/change the little internal filters. If that doesn't do it....I'll pull the carbs off and follow the carb rebuild link you've provided. Thank you, Miki---

am confused,,,is this a DI..with the ..electric fuel pump?,,,either way..there is no wiring in of any fuel pumps,,,DI?..or carburated...?,,.what am i missing here?

am confused,,,is this a DI..with the ..electric fuel pump?,,,either way..there is no wiring in of any fuel pumps,,,DI?..or carburated...?,,.what am i missing here?
I don't know what a "DI" is. Or, whether this machine has an electric fuel pump or not. I'm going to temporarily insert an electric pump....after checking compressions...just to troubleshoot the fuel pressure. I think the book says to use a 2.5-3.8psi pump. IF the compressions are good... and the electric pump doesn't help... I'll pull the carbs and rebuild them. Thanks Popps. Bruce

Do not add a fuel pump.

These don’t have an external fuel pump and these carbs aren’t made to function with one.

Also just cleaning the internal filters doesn’t work.

Do it once and do it correctly.

I don't know what a "DI" is. Or, whether this machine has an electric fuel pump or not. I'm going to temporarily insert an electric pump....after checking compressions...just to troubleshoot the fuel pressure. I think the book says to use a 2.5-3.8psi pump. IF the compressions are good... and the electric pump doesn't help... I'll pull the carbs and rebuild them. Thanks Popps. Bruce
Mornin' Pops... can you tell me what year and size of engine i'm working on with serial number: 4282379. also, same infor for the other seedoo on the trailer: a three seater GTS: 4222225? Thank you. (I'm checking compressions today...and if good...I'm ordering the carb rebuild kits). also... can you recommend a video on removing the carbs from this little xp two seater? I'm an outboard mech, but never worked on any PWCs... THANK YOU!

Those numbers don't really mean anything to us here.

Just give us the year (last 2 digits of the HIN/VIN ) and the model and we can tell you the engine.

A 1998 XP is going to have a carbed 951.

Thanks Popps. Those are the serial numbers off the engine. Where do Iook for the HIN???
I need to know the model of the engine before I can order the correct carb kit(s).

Popps... the HIN of the little two seater XP is: ZZN62034E494 The HIN of the other SeeDoo that I am in possession is a three seater GTS: ZZN73204K394.
Can you tell me the engin type and size in these, please?
Most gratefully... Bruce

Popps... the HIN of the little two seater XP is: ZZN62034E494 The HIN of the other SeeDoo that I am in possession is a three seater GTS: ZZN73204K394.
Can you tell me the engin type and size in these, please?
Most gratefully... Bruce
What happened to the 1998 XP?

two seater XP is: ZZN62034E494 would be a 1994 with a 657X engine.

GTS: ZZN73204K394 would be a 1994 with a 587.

Thank you Popps.... there is no " '98" XP... both of these scooters sitting on the trailer in my garage belong to my (un-mechanical) brother and he gave me bad info. thanks for the gouge on the motors/year. Where did you find such info...do you have manuals, or is there a "serial number look-up" web-site I could have gone to??? Thanks

I had the same thing happen to me with my 97 gtx this summer. Problem is the carbs were good. Turned out to be a little fuzz blockage on the main tank line going into the fuel selector switch. It ran perfect on the reserve line, on off on off when switched to main.

On "new to you" machines the best thing to do is go through everything. Miki has the best, step by step, carb thread you can find. I was ok on carbs but learned a lot following the thread in the sticky area.

Hi Guys,
I'm fixing my non-mechanical brother's 1998 XP... it starts fine and runs fine even at WOT...for about 5 to 20 seconds....then bogs down to idle. Wait 5-10 seconds, it'll run WOT just fine---for 5-20 seconds. Add infinitum!!! I think it's a fuel pump or internal fuel filter just upstream of the entry into the carbs.
Any help is greatly appreciated....as I am a Mercury outboard mech who's never even seen a rotax before.
Secondly: the serial number on the engine is: 4282379 Can you guide me to a "look up" site to learn the year/H.P., etc of the engine?
Thanks... Bruce (330Capt.)...

On 98 XPL MAKE SURE you no longer have original fuel lines....they gum up from disintegration and HAVE to be replaced or you will destroy the engine....make sure NONE are TEMPO lines....use NAPA fuel lines. Also you CANNOT go smaller....use correct hose line or you may have fuel issues at WOT...same applies to turnoff valve.... The 800 parts are NOT the same as a 951 engine...they are larger bores and allow for more fuel flow. I have both 800 XPs and XPLs and they parts are different and larger fuel bore sizes on the 951. I have seen the issues first hand from using incorrect fuel line sizes and parts on a 951 engine. All fuel lines hoses on the craft should have been changed by this time...lot of work but required. Also yank three way switch and check it out too. Pull carbs and clean and adjust.....keep track of needle settings or you will be readjusting them. Use non-ethanol fuel if possible - Stewarts sells 91 octane .....best for these 2 strokes. If you had them all modified like me....SeaDoos and Yamahas....I can only run 93 now so I am somewhat screwed and have to use ethanol since no one sells 93 octane non-ethanol in Northeast. With ethanol you really need to clean carbs every two to three years at least.....that white shit you find in the lines and carbs is the ethanol by-products....bullshit thanks to your government and farmers!

use original Mikuni parts when you can....few bucks more but better quality than some of that Chinese crap on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back