1998 GTX LIMITED ran for 20-30min then died from 4000 rpm…. It restarted… then repeated died about 2 min later.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!… that was a lot to unpack…
Does group K also provide a top end kit and be sure the bore matches the pistons?… trying to avoid paying again and again for my ignorance…:)

I’m in DFW, Tx… any local recommendations?
It seems that none of the local Seadoo dealers will touch anything older than 10yrs.

I welcome recommendations for rebuilt cranks as well.
I local for the ease of walking in and talking tot the machinist but sadly none here that I trust with 2-strokes.
@JC-SUPERJET knows his stuff so you can trust his recommendation.

Group K can provide pistons or let you know what size he needs and you can ship them to him, either way.

For crank rebuilds the best is Competitive Crankshafts but pricy. It really sucks seadooo stopped selling remans direct.

Check Dale's Jet Sports in Dallas Area
I spoke with Dale. He sounds like a guy with integrity. He reports is friends with the folks at Group K and would totally be Ok if he lost business to them. He’s local to me and his prices are comparable…. So I will bring the cylinders to him.

I also spoke with Accurate Cylinder and Sleeveworks in Conroe, Tx… they only do 2strokes, albeit mostly bikes. Their prices were similar to Dales.

Still researching crank options…
Anyone use PWC engines in NY? I like their prices and shipping terms.

Ironically, I live in Houston but have never heard of Accurate Cylinder till today.

Their website doesn't list Watercraft Cylinder work, so maybe that's why nobody in my riding group had ever mentioned them.

Doesn't mean they can't do the work but I have no knowledge of their workmanship.

I normally use Rea Machine Shop (Houston) but Kerry is basically retired now. Very hard to get a hold of him anymore.

Dale has been working on Watercraft for decades. Tim Judge even worked out of Dale's Shop when Judge lived in Dallas.

You may give them a call to screen another option locally… They were candid about their primary customers being 2 stroke bikes… and were willing to review what I had to confirm they would be comfortable with it and their machines could handle it. I was considering them before you shared Dales. Tx again!
It came down to group K vs Dales… I have no shipping with Dales…

Anyone know if a new top end from a 1997.5 GTXL is compatible with a 1998 GTXL? I found a new SBT one… that’s about $150 less than reboring/kit.
I’ve read some say they are the same.. some say different…

I ended up sending the cylinders to Dales Jet Sports in Dallas. He also spoke highly of Group K.
Super clean work. He was done in 2 days after I got him the pistons. Here’s a pic.
Went with WSM coated pistons…0.5mm over.
Still waiting for the crank to arrive… went with SBT.

During the cleanup I came across what looks like something that may cause a leak… also on the bad cylinder side… pitting in the head cover… pic attached. I’m thinking I’ll just replace this with one that doesn’t have pitting.. I have a spare. Thoughts is this one trashed?

Attachments

• 3FABEE8F-80C9-4584-984E-9CA789148026.jpeg
    3FABEE8F-80C9-4584-984E-9CA789148026.jpeg
    389.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 6DD7B976-C990-4081-84E4-887C3673CA06.jpeg
    6DD7B976-C990-4081-84E4-887C3673CA06.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 12
  • A4A90484-AB38-4685-9ADC-7155683A61F4.jpeg
    A4A90484-AB38-4685-9ADC-7155683A61F4.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 16
I ended up sending the cylinders to Dales Jet Sports in Dallas. He also spoke highly of Group K.
Super clean work. He was done in 2 days after I got him the pistons. Here’s a pic.
Went with WSM coated pistons…0.5mm over.
Still waiting for the crank to arrive… went with SBT.

During the cleanup I came across what looks like something that may cause a leak… also on the bad cylinder side… pitting in the head cover… pic attached. I’m thinking I’ll just replace this with one that doesn’t have pitting.. I have a spare. Thoughts is this one trashed?

Attachments

• D8A7F751-F913-48EB-84F5-A869D2736779.jpeg
    D8A7F751-F913-48EB-84F5-A869D2736779.jpeg
    488.8 KB · Views: 20
Hi all,

An update. I’ve received the SBT crank and assembled the bottom end.
Putting the top end together… trying to set squish.

The cylinders on this appear to be taller than expected… seemingly causing the squish to be more than expected.

I measure squish as follows:(no gaskets)
Min: 1.09mm
Max: 1.28mm

Head gasket thickness: 0.81mm

The math looks simple:
1.7mm < Base gasket + squish + head gasket < 2.3mm

Feels like I need a base gasket of 0.1 or 0.2mm

I don’t see those ..

I have another engine on the bench for comparison..

It requires a 0.5mm base gasket…
So I measured the cylinder heights:
The one requiring 0.5mm gasket has cylinder vertical height of 124.0mm. It’s an SBT remanufactured top end… 0.5mm over. Fits perfect.

This one has vertical cylinder height of 124.5mm…

Trying to wrap my head around the tolerances… seems like the cylinder heights should be much closer unless one was shaved…

Do they make 0.1 or 0.2mm base gaskets?
I’ve read of people splitting the head gaskets… that seems wrong…

Recommendations appreciated.

Tia!

Update:
I measured the vertical height of the WSM pistons relative to the wristpin in the crank and compared with OEM piston.

Looks like WSM piston is approx 0.7mm shorter than an OEM piston. Not trying to start a brand battle… just trying to solve an issue…

Anyone know the impact of simply having a squish that’s on the high side of out of spec…1.7mm - 2.3mm?

I’ve read it reduces power… anyone know by how much?

Attachments

• 6C192BB1-EE5E-45BA-A36B-35FD6ADBC476.jpeg
    6C192BB1-EE5E-45BA-A36B-35FD6ADBC476.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back