New 96 XP Owner

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s why I top my tank off before every trip and always have a gallon of XPS in the trailer box.

I finally got to work on the XP (it's in VA at Lake Anna). Pulled the carbs off and now realize the value of anti-seize or grease. Stainless fasteners in Aluminum are a bad combination. I thought the bolts holding the carbs on were going to snap (fortunately they didn't) and I assumed the problem was where they contacted the intake manifold, but they were locked into the carbs themselves. The previous owner cut two appx. 1 1/2" holes in the air box in an effort to get more air into the carbs. I'm sure this probably isn't a good thing? The only other issue is the head pipe was leaking at one of the plugs even though it had been jb welded. Can these be welded? Do you need an Aluminum Plug to weld in? Does anyone offer this service? Thanks

I always use grease or anti seize on bolt threads for that very reason. Yes they can be welded. All the jb weld has to be ground away. Any local machine shop can weld new one in. Just make sure its a high grade of aluminum. I have seen one that was welded in a d few years later it was corroded through again due to crappy aluminum, and i mostly ride in fresh water

I always use grease or anti seize on bolt threads for that very reason. Yes they can be welded. All the jb weld has to be ground away. Any local machine shop can weld new one in. Just make sure its a high grade of aluminum. I have seen one that was welded in a d few years later it was corroded through again due to crappy aluminum, and i mostly ride in fresh water
Do you have any idea where I can get the proper grade of aluminum plugs for this and what size they are?

I finally got to work on the XP (it's in VA at Lake Anna). Pulled the carbs off and now realize the value of anti-seize or grease. Stainless fasteners in Aluminum are a bad combination. I thought the bolts holding the carbs on were going to snap (fortunately they didn't) and I assumed the problem was where they contacted the intake manifold, but they were locked into the carbs themselves. The previous owner cut two appx. 1 1/2" holes in the air box in an effort to get more air into the carbs. I'm sure this probably isn't a good thing? The only other issue is the head pipe was leaking at one of the plugs even though it had been jb welded. Can these be welded? Do you need an Aluminum Plug to weld in? Does anyone offer this service? Thanks
Jim @racerxxx has the plugs you need. He sells them. Then you can have a local welder weld them.

Let me know how many you need. I can get them out the door tomorrow. They're $5 each plus $7 to ship via priority mail. So if you want 4 it's $27 total.

Let me know how many you need. I can get them out the door tomorrow. They're $5 each plus $7 to ship via priority mail. So if you want 4 it's $27 total.
I only need one (lucky), but I think I'll take two. Give me your address and I'll send you a check. My info is: Jim Celia 800 East Coast Lane, N Myrtle Beach, SC 29582

I"m in the process of cleaning the oil tank, changing the filter and lines and re priming oil pump/system. While changing these items I ran across something that doesn't seem right. At the oil level sensor (which is a T fitting) one side obviously goes to the filter and oil pump, but the other side of mine has a short 4" piece of hose with a check valve in the end and nothing else is connected to the check valve. Help, what is supposed to be there and where is it supposed to be connected to?

Thanks to all for the reply. I did see the parts break-down as shown, but wasn't sure if there was anything else.

Yeah all good, put all the pieces together when draining the green oil from the tank on my hx, I guess a way to test it, is that I blew one way and it opened but the other way it stayed closed.

I'm going to be working on the XP this weekend and hope to get it running! Quick question. Does anyone make the brass ring that goes between the head pipe and the cone pipe? If not do you just use sealer in between these?

I'm going to be working on the XP this weekend and hope to get it running! Quick question. Does anyone make the brass ring that goes between the head pipe and the cone pipe? If not do you just use sealer in between these?
I'm pretty sure I have a used one

eBay or a used parts place like Westside Powersports Seadoo. You need the ring and ultra copper RTV in both sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back