New 2015 Spark 3-UP HO which mods to start with?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Stkelley24

Hello everyone. I am new to the sea doo forum and rather excited considering I am here because I am in the process of purchasing two new 2015 Sparks 3-UP HO. Now that that is out of the way.
My main question(s) would be once I purchase the Sparks I have been researching Mods for them. The main one being the Vtech ECU re flash, next being exhaust kits. I just want to make sure I am starting with the proper mods. All my research points to the Vtech reflash almost being an absolute to start with. My goal is of course better performance. I have driven motorcycles for 13 years and jet skiis about 15 years ago but not much sense. I'm not an experienced driver. Please let me know if you need any more information from me, and I hope I've given enough info to start pointing me in the right direction.
Side note- is it unreasonable to install Mods like exhaust kits by my self? I am mechanically inclined BUT I've never dealt with jet ski engines and don't want to open a can of worms. Thank you again!

If you are going to use Vtech tune just buy the standard non-HO Spark, save yourself the money.

Lou

yeah that's the issue I am running into. I think the 2-Ups may be a little smaller than what I was looking for, but I would much rather get them and tune it with the Vtech to save money. I will toss this around a little. My other thought to this is resell value later one. The 3-UP with HO would have a better resell value in theory, no?

Additional question, is the IBR worth the money? Would it be better for my wife's ski? I think I would be fine without it but thought I would ask some of you guys. Thank you all for your help.

(rookie forum guy with another post)- I really am interested in an exhaust system for them. For the sound and performance. Is it an easy bolt on installation if I were to do it myself?

IBR isn't really worth it when you can just buy the manual reverse gate. And for the exhaust, you have to take the top deck off then it is pretty straight forward and easy. Taking the top deck off isn't that bad either.

yeah that's the issue I am running into. I think the 2-Ups may be a little smaller than what I was looking for, but I would much rather get them and tune it with the Vtech to save money. I will toss this around a little. My other thought to this is resell value later one. The 3-UP with HO would have a better resell value in theory, no?

This is just my personal opinion, but I would rather have a 2-up Spark than a 3-up. The Spark is a small nimble ski and I think the 3-up is making it something that the Spark is not. For a 3 person ski I would get a full size Seadoo. So if I were buying a used Spark I would prefer the 2-up.

Lou

I would get the three up for the sole reason that 2 can comfortably ride on it. Three people on a 3-up is pretty tight.. Also, if you NEEDED to put three on it, you can from a legal aspect.

The IBR is a really nice option. An experienced rider with a manual gate can do a great job of breaking and stopping. The IBR is very easy for a beginner to understand. Most wives/women love the IBR. It starts in neutral, sits there without moving, and makes docking easier. Newbies at the very least fully grasp the "OH $HIT" factor. When there is an issue, the squeeze the IBR for all it is worth.

I would get the three up for the sole reason that 2 can comfortably ride on it. Three people on a 3-up is pretty tight.. Also, if you NEEDED to put three on it, you can from a legal aspect.

The IBR is a really nice option. An experienced rider with a manual gate can do a great job of breaking and stopping. The IBR is very easy for a beginner to understand. Most wives/women love the IBR. It starts in neutral, sits there without moving, and makes docking easier. Newbies at the very least fully grasp the "OH $HIT" factor. When there is an issue, the squeeze the IBR for all it is worth.

Great write up, another IMPORTANT feature for 2015 is VTS, you only can get VTS with the IBR motor..

Also, I do love the VTECH tune... I bought the plain 60hp 2 up and vteched it.. I can always add the 3 up extension and seat, that's the only difference between the 2up and 3 up, I researched the parts for the 3 up platform is $310.. It's bolt on.. I haven't done it because I haven't needed it really..

I'm a big guy 255lbs, and I believe the 3 up is easier to reboard from deep water, which is a major concern for me, but unbelievably I've been able to reboard pretty easily with my 2up, I intentionally jumped off twice this Sunday in deep water to test my reboarding skills, I did pretty good, but it still think the 3 up must be easier.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would also think the 3-up is likely more stable as there is an extension of the back. I have VTS on my RXT-X and my GTX. I really like having it. For me, I will always have VTS and IBR with the exception of a purely performance ski such as my RXT. It has the VTS but not IBR.

I would also think the 3-up is likely more stable as there is an extension of the back. I have VTS on my RXT-X and my GTX. I really like having it. For me, I will always have VTS and IBR with the exception of a purely performance ski such as my RXT. It has the VTS but not IBR.

Great Advice! Thank you Joe and cheappc. Joe, since it says you live in SoFL, do you know of any good dealers to go to? I've tried two so far and its been nothing pleasant. One dealer tells me I will do 55mph on the water in the 3-up HO (Im 6'2 240lbs and doubt 55 without the ECU flash is achievable) and says hes never seen a VTECH re-flash go smoothly or even worth it. This pretty much discredited his value to me. The next one I have been trying to work with Said two days ago he would check their inventory for the models and colors I am looking for and I have yet to get a response, even after 2 voicemails and a text. Sorry, don't mean to b*tch, just frustrated. I didn't think it was so hard to find someone to take my money for some skiis.

I've yet to have a need to speak to a dealer since moving to FL. I would start a new post in OFF TOPIC with a title something like "Looking for a good dealer South Florida area..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great Advice! Thank you Joe and cheappc. Joe, since it says you live in SoFL, do you know of any good dealers to go to? I've tried two so far and its been nothing pleasant. One dealer tells me I will do 55mph on the water in the 3-up HO (Im 6'2 240lbs and doubt 55 without the ECU flash is achievable) and says hes never seen a VTECH re-flash go smoothly or even worth it. This pretty much discredited his value to me. The next one I have been trying to work with Said two days ago he would check their inventory for the models and colors I am looking for and I have yet to get a response, even after 2 voicemails and a text. Sorry, don't mean to b*tch, just frustrated. I didn't think it was so hard to find someone to take my money for some skiis.

You know what I did?, I'm happy I did what I did, and hopefully anybody reading this can do this too.

I was certain and knew exactly what I wanted to buy, so what I did was I went to the next major "boat show", I heard that they try to make as many sales as possible at the boat show, plus as an added bonus you get a lot of freebies at the boat show.

I waited for the next boat show, bought 2 tickets for me & my girlfriend showed up, and both seadoo and yamaha next to each other and both were fighting for my business they both ran my credit, I brought some money for the down payment.

The boat specials at the boat show was $99 dollars a month for a yamaha vx1 (the fine print was crazy though I think it was 10 years or more lol), and the seadoo spark was $79 a month for the 60hp (84 months), plus at seadoo they were selling the trailers at 50% off if you bought that day.. I got approved at both dealers and decided to go with the spark.

It was a great day, I got to see all the new stuff the boating world had to offer, invited on a couple of vendor tours, and I ordered my spark with a $300 dollar down payment and got the exact spark I wanted, picked it up a week later..

Great comment! Thank you sir. There is the Palm Beach boat show this weekend that we have already planned on going to. Our original plan was to buy them at the boat show. I was doing my research ahead of time and pricing out dealers before the show, which by the way has not been fun. Worse than car shopping, at least my experience thus far. I will keep you posted, we are going Saturday. Thank you very much again!

Back