New 2012 230SE owner :)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

markh

Hi All, after about a 6 year break from boating and my last boat being a 1986 single motor challenger, I went for a bigger boat and ended up with a 2012 230SE with 430hp.

First day on the lake, got stuck in a violent lightning storm and strong driving rain but managed to survive that only to be faced with something much more scary for a newb, the marina :(

I was looking at the challenger in the dealer parking lot and thinking, this thing is huge! I get to the marina and at low speed it's like driving a uncontrallable dingy. I managed to drive past the my slip and had to turn around while about 25 boats deep into row 'G'. Narrowly escaped running someones prop down the side of my new boat while turning around and managed to get myself into perfect position to ease into my slip when inexplicably I hit the throttle and ended up shooting sideways onto one of the dock edges. I was embarrassed as shit and sweating profusely. Forgot all about docking mode which would have saved my ass :( It's got a lot more power than my old challenger.

Got a question though.. I've got a few stout friends and although I'm just slightly stout and old, I found it a tad tricky to get up the ladder in the back. I know my fatter than me friends will have a difficult time boarding. Any cool solutions for that? How about for eventually when I bring my dog out? Anyone tried one of these on our ladder setup? http://www.basspro.com/LoadAPup-Boat-Platform/product/10203389/-1436016

Thanks and stay outta my way for a while :)

Mark

Congrats on the new boat! I am testing out a 510hp 230se on Saturday and hope to come home with it...... Post up some pictures when you get time.

Sorry...can't help with the pup boarding platform...worth it I guess to have around when hauling the dog with you...I found it best to leave them home anyway.

Now...more power than you're used to..okay...but you have twins! You should be able to spin that thing on a dime. A suggestion would be to find a quiet place on the water somewhere with maybe a channel marker or something...and practice your slow speed manuvering till you're confident...before you try and dock the thing in front of a crowd...or worse...an impatient ramp audience.

how'd the 510 hp testing go?

Things are getting a bit better with me getting into the dock. Hit the gas dock a little bit but not so panicked getting it into the slip as I was before. Went two for two this weekend without any damage :)

Test ride went well I ended up bringing it home Saturday....... Took it out yesterday for the first time. Around the dock was interesting to say the least. I have to adjust the gate to get it closer to neutral. Other than that it runs great!! I have some learning to do with the slow speed maneuvering... I turned it around on it's self at about 10MPH and took the wake wave right over the bow.... Not what I was expecting...Note to self dont' try that with the ladies in the front seats....

Misery loves company and glad to hear that I'm not the only one challenged by the challenger :) The power is really amazing and can imagine the extra giddy up the 510hp has..

Docking is getting better with practice and it seems that in nuetral, there's just enough thrust to keep you moving forward but not enough to give you good control. While in forward, the thrust is actually too much at idle even so I find myself flipping from fwd to reverse to get into position. Does the 510 have dual throttles or just the single?

BTW, stout friends had not too much trouble boarding, which is good. We'll see if the dogs ever make it into the new boat anyway..

mark

It has the single throttle same set up as yours. I hope to pratice some this week around the dock. I also have to look when I pulled the plug out after the test drive and after my first ride water came out of the bilge. Want to make sure nothing is leaking....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back