Need opinions - motor damage?

Messages
75
Points
6
Location
Canada
#1
We have a fleet of spark rentals - one of which sucked some really thick weeds blocking the grate.

The customer continued holding the throttle for significant amount of time, upwards of 5 minutes trying to return to the rental facility.

The entire non-metal parts of the exhaust melted completely including the exhaust temperature sensor. Everything was replaced at the dealer for about $800, however I am worried about motor damage.

Dealer is saying no motor damage occurred because it's a closed loop cooling system, and the ride plate was in the water. However I recall clearly when this happend, after the machine was shut off, it would barely fire up again. It could barely hold idle, and sounded absolutely horrible.

I understand the closed loop cooling system, but sitting without moving at max rpm would this not cause the motor to overheat? What's the likelihood that the cylinders are scored causing long term damage?

Thanks!
 

Coastiejoe

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
14,602
Points
83
Location
FLorida, Southern Area
#2
Not moving, I would think it could over-heat as the water at the ride plate would not be moving by the plate.

That said,,, it is probably worth checking it over very well and going out for some test rides. Just don't go alone for the first few. You have nothing to lose.
 
Messages
75
Points
6
Location
Canada
#3
Not moving, I would think it could over-heat as the water at the ride plate would not be moving by the plate.

That said,,, it is probably worth checking it over very well and going out for some test rides. Just don't go alone for the first few. You have nothing to lose.

So actually that was done, we had it run for another 10 hours since no problems. My concern is long term damage? Given it's s rental unit, with 150 hours on it already.

It's more a question of do we sell it now, cut our losses and grab a new machine? Or stick with it.

if water isn't moving across the ride plate that would cause the coolant to overheat? It was fully submersed in the water, mind you prob some dense weeds sourrounding it too.
 

Coastiejoe

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Messages
14,602
Points
83
Location
FLorida, Southern Area
#4
The hours would not concern me at all. In most cases it would not overheat even if water wasn't moving over the ride plate. I do think it could get hotter than normal if the pump area is plugged and the ski wasn't moving.

If you have test driven it and there are no apparent issues, I wouldn't be afraid of it.
 

speed51133

New Member
Messages
16
Points
0
Location
WISCONSIN
#5
I let my neighbor borrow my spark and the same thing happened (summer of 2015). I welded the water box back together and replaced the exhaust temp sensor. Has been working fine, but I just replaced the sensor again. I had put in a cheap alternative from a car part store. I put in another cheap one, but a step up. If this one fails I get the one from BRP dealer.
 
Messages
7,005
Points
63
Location
Virginia Sea Level
#6
If you're concerned the engine may have been damaged, have the cylinder compression verified. Overheating may damage the crankshaft bearings which will result in low oil pressure, or score the cylinders and perhaps collapse the rings, latter of which will cause the compression to be low or lower than normal.

If the paint on the exhaust manifold burned away, the manifold mounting gasket might have been damaged resulting in an exhaust leak. Exhaust leaks into the bilge will quickly fill the bilge with carbon monoxide, displace combustion air and thus, cause rough engine running and restarting problems. As a test, removing the seat will likely provide enough fresh air to restore engine operation.

Keep in mind, whenever an engine is overheated (unlikely in this case, IMO) the engine oil will be damaged by the heat and should be changed.

I agree with your dealer and the above, it's unlikely there was any engine damage done.
 
Messages
57
Points
8
Location
CT
#7
I doubt the engine really overheated. the customer was moving however slowly. if water is moving over the plate no matter how slow it will have a constant supply of cool water, doesn't matter how fast the water moves over the plate it is just a heat exchanger.
 

Similar threads


Users who viewed this discussion (Total:3)

Adsense