Another seized motor thread! This time it happened to me.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another update; I decided to give sbt a call, i asked them about their crank, they do not warranty it unless it arrives broken. I asked them about their motors regarding the things that were spoken about on this thread talking about how they are performing less and less reliable and lower compression etc. they said that their compression and squish are actually “within” oem spec so id assume the difference in performance wouldnt be noticeable but maybe im wrong? Also they claim that the motors have been 100% rebuild with new parts which i have seen other threads claim that they got old parts n used bearings on cranks etc but i dont see how that could be true without them getting sued lol. They also claimed that their trued and welded crank is just as good as oem if not better. So are they completely full of it or what? Also their shipping is VERY expensive depending on where you are at..

It’s almost like they are trying to sell you something…..

They do for a fact cut the heads to lower compression.

Yes they use new parts, never heard of anyone getting back used parts like bearings.

There’s no reason to weld a recreational crank and that’s why no OEM ever did. No they are not as good as OEM cranks but they should be fine for a rebuild.

Yes, their shipping is stupid expensive if you are on the west coast and they will not let you use your own shipping. I honestly think they use shipping to pad their profits. Their shipping was more then double the cost that ups quoted me just walking in the door and they are a high volume commercial customer.

And if you have a warranty claim you have to pay their shipping both ways.

Another update; I decided to give sbt a call, i asked them about their crank, they do not warranty it unless it arrives broken. I asked them about their motors regarding the things that were spoken about on this thread talking about how they are performing less and less reliable and lower compression etc. they said that their compression and squish are actually “within” oem spec so id assume the difference in performance wouldnt be noticeable but maybe im wrong? Also they claim that the motors have been 100% rebuild with new parts which i have seen other threads claim that they got old parts n used bearings on cranks etc but i dont see how that could be true without them getting sued lol. They also claimed that their trued and welded crank is just as good as oem if not better. So are they completely full of it or what? Also their shipping is VERY expensive depending on where you are at..
I’m watching this thread I have a 96 GTI that needs a motor rebuilt as well and have it to apart on the bench at this very moment trying to decide which way to go with the crankshaft like you ?

Last edited:
I’m watching this thread I have a 96 GTI that needs a motor rebuilt as well and have it to apart on the bench at this very moment trying to decide which way to go with the crankshaft like you ?
If you need the whole motor done and dont care how much it really costs and can do it yourself, buy all the good parts that are recommended on this forum. If you just need the crank and dont want to spend 700$ buy the sbt. If you want to get it back up and going again the easiest way and cheapest if you need a whole motor, buy the 900$ sbt. Thats the route i went, and as long as you break it in properly and make sure all the oiling system is good I’ll be willing to bet it will last a long time. Currently have 2 gtis with sbts and they are great so far knock on wood. I notice zero difference in power as suggested on here they are just as fast and get up and go the same as from factory. Id highly recommend an sbt motor now that ive had some experience with them its been very reliable. Cost was about 1100 for the motor shipped and all the gaskets, plus i rebuilt the starter, got got new oil lines etc. Goodluck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back