Questions about purchasing 2010 Seadoo Challenger

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

schnur7

Here's the facebook link to the listing: FB Link

I've been looking for a used AR190 but they're impossible to find so now I'm looking at Seadoo Challengers. I already posted about a 2005 Challenger with a new motor and supercharger for $14K. The owner did the rebuild so I'm a little hesitant with that one.

Now I'm looking at a 2010 Challenger with the 255 Rotax motor. He's asking $19k. He bought it about 3 years ago and hasn't done any maintenance on it other than having it winterized and wrapped. I'm barely mechanically inclined so I'm a bit worried about what I might be getting myself into. I live in Salem OR and the boat is in northern Washington about 5 hours away. I'm assuming the 2010 would be desirable over the 2005. This one has a wakeboard tower which I'd like for pulling my kids. A few questions:

1. What is needed to winterize these boats? It sounds like it's a closed loop cooling system so is it similar to a car with antifreeze?
  2. What kind of annual maintenance?
  3. Can you purchase aftermarket towers for them if I find one without one?
  4. What should I look for if I go look at it? Ideally, I'd want to find a mechanic to look at it?
  5. Are there older years to avoid?
Any other advice would be appreciated. thanks!

Here's the facebook link to the listing: FB Link

I've been looking for a used AR190 but they're impossible to find so now I'm looking at Seadoo Challengers. I already posted about a 2005 Challenger with a new motor and supercharger for $14K. The owner did the rebuild so I'm a little hesitant with that one.

Now I'm looking at a 2010 Challenger with the 255 Rotax motor. He's asking $19k. He bought it about 3 years ago and hasn't done any maintenance on it other than having it winterized and wrapped. I'm barely mechanically inclined so I'm a bit worried about what I might be getting myself into. I live in Salem OR and the boat is in northern Washington about 5 hours away. I'm assuming the 2010 would be desirable over the 2005. This one has a wakeboard tower which I'd like for pulling my kids. A few questions:

1. What is needed to winterize these boats? It sounds like it's a closed loop cooling system so is it similar to a car with antifreeze?
  2. What kind of annual maintenance?
  3. Can you purchase aftermarket towers for them if I find one without one?
  4. What should I look for if I go look at it? Ideally, I'd want to find a mechanic to look at it?
  5. Are there older years to avoid?
Any other advice would be appreciated. thanks!
Here are my thoughts:

1.. It is a closed loop system for cooling the engine. Raw water is used to cool the exhaust and the Intercooler.
2.. If you live in a place where water freezes, you need to flush and prep the raw water side so that there is no mechanism for this loop to freeze.
3.. You can buy an aftermarket tower but they are expensive so you will not IMHO get your value back in a resell.
4.. The biggest issue will be SuperCharger to make sure it has been rebuild in the last few years. I would ask for receipts, if they don't have them you need to assume you will need to rebuild it. (~$300-500). Also ask before you drive there. Ask for a detailed photos of the keel as well as the best photos they could take up the pump intake grate to see the condition of the impeller/wear ring.
5.. The 2010 with the 255 has an external intercooler. The 215 has a internal intake IC. Personally, I would stick with the 2009 and above models as they are powered by the 255/260 HP version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back