Need help with oil line

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erik Hagen

Hey guys- I have a 2001 GTX. Recently pulled and cleaned the carbs, replaced all fuel lines, cleaned the fuel selector, replaced filter, etc. as I was putting the carbs back in, I noticed a small black line running in the bilge. I'm guessing it is an oil vacuum line, but can't remember where it connects to. Any help? Thanks in advance.

Sure it's an oil line? Could be the vent line for the battery. Where does it lead to? If it goes all the way to front right hull to a vent, it's the battery vent line. Oil lines connects to oil pump. Doing the Carb would not effect the oil line. Make sure your oil pump is adjusted to your throttle position. Lines on pump and arm should be lined up. Got questions ? Ask, Questions help you to not fry your new toy.

Yeah, you wanna make sure the oil lines and pump are set up correctly, that's for sure! And the small 3/32th ID oil lines from the oil pump need to be in good condition, not half rotted 3/32th'sTygon F-2020-A tubing is the stuff you need for them.

Edut: Sorry, that's F-4040-A Tygon, my bad.

I'm fairly certain it is an oil line. It runs from behind the carbs to under the oil tank. On the left side of the boat. I've been reading how the pump has 3 lines. One large and two small lines coming out of it. I think this is one of those lines. I don't remember removing it, but, I disassembled the carbs and removed them a week or so ago. Help please.

Try to follow it best you can & see where is goes at the other end. If its a little larger than the oil injection lines, it could be the battery vent hose. Those GTX hulls are pretty open to push & pull on cables, hoses, etc.

you have to be more specific about your ski model, it sounds like you have a 787 engine which uses a rotary valve and oil bath, in which case, yes you would have an oil return line.

Not all skis have the same engine, so letting us know narrows down the problem. also pics help.

The large oil line has an oil filter/strainer in it and that connects to the bottom of the oil injection pump on front of the magneto housing. seadoomanuals dot com gets you the 2001 manual and you need that manual.

Oil pump is item #17 on this drawing, make sure to adjust the control cable properly and mix oil with your fuel until your sure the oil injection is working properly and all the air is purged out of the lines.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...adoopwc&a=253&b=7&c=0&d=-MAGNETO-AND-OIL-PUMP

I have a copy of the manual and I can't find it anywhere. There is a small oil assembly of some type on the rear of the entire carb assembly. I feel like it should hook in there somewhere. Below where the choke cable assembly is. Am I really missing something here?

Yeah, Are either end of this line connected to something? It seems one end is connected to the oil tank so I assumed this is the one that carries oil from the oil tank to the oil pump on front of the magneto housing.

Apparently that's not the case. So where is the other end of this black line connected? If we can identify where one end is connected then we should be able to determine where the open end should connect, I think.

There are two carbs on your motor, one is known as PTO carb (the rear one) and MAG carb (the front one). There are no oil lines connected to the carbs themselves but there are two fuel lines and one pulse line from the lower rear of crankcase. Perhaps we're discussing a fuel line, one of the two is from the reserve fuel selector valve and another to return fuel to the fuel tank.

I'm still here but in and out with other stuff going on, will stick with you till it's figured out.

It isn't one of the fuel lines. It's a small black line. Other end seems to go under the oil tank. And it is too long to be connected to the front of the carbs. It is zip tied to the bottom of the boat. It is the same size line (roughly) as the air lines running into the RAVE valves.

When it falls naturally down into the bilge, the end of it reaches about 12 past where the carbs end toward the rear. Right now I have it pulled up the side, between the carbs and the air box, laying over the top if the motor. Just to give you an idea of how long it is.

Okay, in that case it sure sounds like the vent for your battery to me, it's small diameter so you cannot fit your pinky finger inside. There should be a line that goes from the battery vent nipple to a thru-hull fitting overboard so acid from the battery cells doesn't slosh around in the bilge? Item #25 in the very lower section of this drawing you can see the battery vent connection:

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...sp?Type=18&make=seadoopwc&a=253&b=29&Action=O

I will look in to that, but, I don't think that's it. Like I said, when I siphoned through the tube, oil came out. And , I don't think it will reach the battery either. I know this is a wild goose chase, but , it's gotta do something. I thought I read somewhere where it is some sort of vacuum line that connects to the reed valves? There is a small silver colored rod that sticks out approximately 1/4-1/2" in the area I described, on the aft end of the carbs, on the bottom side. It can be depressed. Any connection there? Just throwing darts......

can you PLEASE just take a pic of it/the setup..it would really help and make the diagnosis a lot easier

I will look in to that, but, I don't think that's it. Like I said, when I siphoned through the tube, oil came out. And , I don't think it will reach the battery either. I know this is a wild goose chase, but , it's gotta do something. I thought I read somewhere where it is some sort of vacuum line that connects to the reed valves? There is a small silver colored rod that sticks out approximately 1/4-1/2" in the area I described, on the aft end of the carbs, on the bottom side. It can be depressed. Any connection there? Just throwing darts......

You seem to be describing the accelerator pump on the rear carb but there's no connection that runs up front, attached to the accelerator pump outlet is a small black line that delivers fuel to both the carb bores, this line is only maybe 6~8" long at most.

So this mystery line had oil in it? What happens if you blow air into it, do air bubbles rise from the oil tank or does oil shoot out the side of the ski?

Do you know where your RAVE solenoid valve is located? I'm not sure but that might be up front on the ski models. If you follow the air tubing from the RAVEs it will lead you to the RAVE air solenoid. The RAVE solenoid receives air from the rear of the crankcase below the carbs is a nipple where a rather hard plastic black line connects and air from there goes to the RAVE solenoid.

And, it can be very confusing at first when reading the manuals, etc., b/c several models are all placed into the same manual and you may have been reading about another model engine.

The 951 carb motor has the simplest oiling system of all the later models, only one oil line from the oil tank is connected to the engine.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...sp?Type=18&make=seadoopwc&a=253&b=10&Action=O

Maybe this is it...?

Here you can see the RAVE air plumbing system, item #26 is a check valve near where the RAVE air supply coming from the crankcase is attached to the crankcase. In this drawing you can see that air tubing (pneumatic tubing) carries air from the crankcase to the RAVE pneumatic solenoid. The solenoid shuts off air to the RAVEs during low speed operation.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche...sp?Type=18&make=seadoopwc&a=253&b=16&Action=O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back