Need help with a Carb Throttle shaft question

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bawray

I have a 1998 XP Limited I purchased about 5 months ago.. The throttle shaft on one of the carbs needs to be replaced. I thought I could get away with just replacing the plastic bushings but even with the new bushings installed the shaft sticks so I need a new shaft was well. My problems are:

1) the carbs on the ski do NOT match the carbs on the parts diagram for the '98 XP. It matches the diagram for a 1998 GTX Limited (and the 98 GSX Limited). So, I am OK with the switched carbs (my guess is SeaDoo switched the carbs during production on the XP Limited at some point during the year and there is only one diagram). But I still have a problem because

2) there is no part number for the shaft in the diagrams for the GTX (or GSX). Below is a pic of the parts diagram. I need part #21. Notice the list goes from 20 to 22. What gives with that?

Actually I only need the shaft...the pic in the 98 GSX and GTX diagram shows the round part that the cable activates as part of the shaft but on my carb this is held on by a nut so the shaft I need is threaded on both sides.

So, Where can I buy this shaft?

carb pic.JPG

That's my issue. The Seadoo parts diagrams don't have a listing for this part. My carbs are the same as the 98 GSX Limited carbs. See my original post. No part 21 in the list.

When I put the shaft in it binds up and will not spin freely. I thought it was corrosion in the plastic bushings (there was definitely some of that going on). I replaced the bushings and the shaft still is sticking when I try to rotate it.

Whats wrong with the shaft?
To give a better answer....I can slide the either side of the shaft through either bushing and it rotates fine...until I keep going and push the middle section of the shaft (with the slot for the butterfly) into the bushing. This is when the shaft starts sticking. I can't see anything about the shaft that would cause this but it happens as soon as the slotted section of the shaft goes in the bushing. And when the shaft is inserted into both bushings a little of this middle slotted section of the shaft is in the bushings so it just won't rotate freely.

t
Do you have corrosion on your carbs?
There was some corrosion in one of the bushings. I cleaned it out and inserted a new bushing. The shaft will start binding BEFORE it get pushed into the second bushing so I don't think it is a misalignment of the two bushings.

I am working with it now....I think the issue may be in the carb body pass the plastic bushing. The shaft moves freely in the bushing but starts having an issue when the center of the shaft gets pushed past the bushing. I have to leave now but I will examine this better when I get back later tonight and see if there is some corrosion in there I missed.

It would be really difficult to have a bent shaft. More than likely the body is corroded and compressing the bushings too much. IF the bushings are too loose then it will leak air and it will never run correct.

At some point corroded carbs aren't worth saving.

I am not 100% sure. You need to do your homework. But for the BN46i carbs I believe the throttle shaft kit may be MK-BN/046 TV. I have not had the pleasure to change 1 due to being bent. Maybe someone else on forum has replaced there's on a ski and can confirm if that is correct for the Sea Doo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back