Need advice on loading boat on trailer

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kwiktsi

I touched this in someone else's thread a few weeks back, but wanted to ask outright for some advice here.

I have an 08 Speedster 150 that came with a Karavan trailer. Problem I have with loading it is if I put the trailer just deep enough for the bunks to guide the boat on and have it come to rest sitting properly, the leading edge of the "V" hits the rear beam and sometimes axle (depending on waves). It has already put some good chips in the bottom. If I put the trailer in deep enough that it won't hit, the boat just floats over the bunks and has been "pushed" right over the fenders and off the trailer by waves. Also, with the trailer deeper, when I walk to the bow to attach the winch, the boat slides back and the nose goes under the front roller/stop because it is floating over the trailer more than resting on the bunks.

I have experimented with trailer depth numerous times and there doesn't seem to be a happy medium here. The front beam on the trailer has a carpeted pad attached to it, I was wondering if I could get something like that from a trailer store or something to use in the rear as well? Any advice?

My experience with Challenger.

My experience with my challenger is to back the trailer in till my fender wells are even with the top of the water. I always back down to far first to get my capet wet. Then, I pull back up. Then, I bring my boat to the bunks, under power, sitting off center of the steering wheel, so I can try and see center. Then, when I feel my hull hit my bunks, I give it a little forward thrust, till I'm at the front. I have a rubber block to push against.

Then, with the boat in forward gear and a little throttle to hold it on the trailer, I go up and put the hook on.

There is a fine line by being to far in the water because your nose clip wont' hook up just right, it'll be to low in the water.

But experiment with power trailering........it's the easiest way to put it on the bunks.......

Also, my trailer has these white, thick plastic guards to keep my hull from hitting the metal of the trailer.........if you don't have them, you may want to invest in them, or at least put a roller on the back part of the metal frame, where the hull is likely to hit the trailer first..............:cheers:

I am going through the same problems with my 97 challenger.

I adjusted the bunks and put on a rubber pad on the last beam, just in case. I have never hit it yet, but have had all the other problems you have mentioned. Mostly, I end up having the wife pull the boat in and out while I stand behind it holding it centered...a bad accident looking for a place to happen...

General consensus to when I asked the question is to do it with the trailer VERY shallow, just get the hook on it but leave it out about 6-12", and pull the boat all the way up onto the front roller AFTER you pull it all out of the water.

We had a little hurricane and I put the boat up last weekend, and haven't put in back in the water yet to try this...

Theory........

The idea here is to have the bunks wet, then, at an angle to the hull, but higher than the hull is to the depth of the water. That way, when you power on the jet to push the boat up the bunks, it'll actually ride up out of the water till you either are up all the way, or you lose thrust on your pump. At which time, you'll have to drag it up with your winch........

I need to practice just loading and unloading like you say here...makes it sound much easier than what I am doing.

Trailering.......

My back supports on my bunks were corroded through, so this past season, I replaced them with adjustable ones. They were real inexpensive.

If you go to Boats are us or West Marine, you'll see these adjustable bunk supports. The idea here is, if your worried about gouging the crown on your hull, then add these, raise the bunks and attach a carpeted piece of 2x4, 10 feet long or so, to the bottom of the trailer so the boat keel strikes the padded wood instead of the metal...........just a thought....:cheers:

I am going through the same problems with my 97 challenger.

I adjusted the bunks and put on a rubber pad on the last beam, just in case. I have never hit it yet, but have had all the other problems you have mentioned. Mostly, I end up having the wife pull the boat in and out while I stand behind it holding it centered...a bad accident looking for a place to happen...

General consensus to when I asked the question is to do it with the trailer VERY shallow, just get the hook on it but leave it out about 6-12", and pull the boat all the way up onto the front roller AFTER you pull it all out of the water.

We had a little hurricane and I put the boat up last weekend, and haven't put in back in the water yet to try this...

Very shallow is easiest to get it on the bunks, but that's when the boat hits :(. I'm going to look into a rubber cover/pad, roller, etc. to put on the rear beam. I thought about raising the bunks, but mine are non-adjustable height wise. I can change the mounts, but will look for a pad or something first.

Thanks guys!
Joe

OK, I just went out and took a look at the boat. It looks like due to the angle of the ramp here the ONLY way to not hit would be to either have it so deep that the boat won't sit on the bunks in the water or extremely shallow, but then I'm still unsure about the rear bar. Both the rear bar and axle have rub marks on them. It looks like then the trailer is on an angle like \ (not that steep, but you get it) and the boat is approaching it like ---, it is smacking the axle before hitting the bunks.

I need to figure something out, there are a bunch of good gouges there already and it is only going to get worse :(. It is definitely worse with two people in the boat, so I'll only load and unload with just me in it now.

My back supports on my bunks were corroded through, so this past season, I replaced them with adjustable ones. They were real inexpensive.

If you go to Boats are us or West Marine, you'll see these adjustable bunk supports. The idea here is, if your worried about gouging the crown on your hull, then add these, raise the bunks and attach a carpeted piece of 2x4, 10 feet long or so, to the bottom of the trailer so the boat keel strikes the padded wood instead of the metal...........just a thought....:cheers:

I think I'm going to give this a try. I just have to see if the 2x (probably use 2x10 to be safe so it doesn't slip off the edge) will interfere with the axle if I run it front to back.

What about mounting a roller on the rear bar and mid bar/axle. Not to big, where then the boat is resting, once its on the bunks

What about mounting a roller on the rear bar and mid bar/axle. Not to big, where then the boat is resting, once its on the bunks

I was wondering if there would be a problem mounting a roller to the axle. I don't even know what is available, I'll have to find a trailer store somewhere and just look to see what they have.

Should be cross member, or another cross support, mid way on trailer, not on axle, that can bounce into boat hull, mounting roller there...:cheers:

I guess it depends on ramp incline but i put mine in till the top of the fenders are about an inch out of the water, Im guessing your ramp isnt steep if your hitting the back trail support. I would putt some wood pieces on the trailer where ever its hitting and cover them with carpet just make sure you figure out where they need to go when the boat is on the trailer then install them when its off, also maybe you need to just get the tonge of the trailer sitting higher to bring the back of the trailer lower cause the flater the trail sits then the farther in the water it will need to be, I wonder if we have the same trailer? next time i put mine in witch will be next weekend itll try and see what degree of an angle its at cause mine goes one and off nice.

im wondering if the hitch on your truck is to high...is the trailer level on level ground, you should be able to find a "sweet spot" with just side bunks, unless your on a REALY steap ramp...

I have to look at how the trailer sits when attached. I don't think the ball is too high/low, it is a 98 Jimmy with the stock hitch, nothing too big.

I was looking at the boat and trailer just now and realized it is the axle it is hitting mostly (can see the rub marks on it). I can't even fit my fist between the axle and bottom of the boat, is it supposed to sit this low on the trailer? Once the trailer is on an angle, the boat V sits between the bunks until after it hits the axle, then it starts to ride up on the bunks. Pisses me off that my brand new boat is nicked/chipped/scratched to hell from this. I think the bunks need to be about 1-2" higher and it would make life so much easier all around..

Dude....should NOT be hit'n the axle, especially, A NEW BOAT/TRAILER. Check to see if leafs are cracked/broken, or leaf hanger is bent or broken.

Dude....should NOT be hit'n the axle, especially, A NEW BOAT/TRAILER. Check to see if leafs are cracked/broken, or leaf hanger is bent or broken.
:agree: you have to have a problem with your springs or axle.. maybe the axle was installed wronge and on top of the springs instead of the bottom??? or maybe your bunks are to low?
when you find the problem go have a word with your dealer

:agree: you have to have a problem with your springs or axle.. maybe the axle was installed wronge and on top of the springs instead of the bottom??? or maybe your bunks are to low?
when you find the problem go have a word with your dealer

The bunks are non-adjustable height wise, only angle. The axle is on top of the springs, which according to the Karavan assembly manual, is correct. If the bunks were just 1-2" higher, it would be no problem at all!!!

kwiktsi,I just went out and measured my boat on the trailer,It's an 05 but basically brand new.There is 2" between the hull and the axle,no broken springs,the top of the 2x4 to the top of the foward Xmember is 7",the top of the 2X4 to the top of the rear Xmember is 6".At these measurements the boat will hit the bunks before the axle.It seems to me the only way to hit the axle would be if the bunks were lower than it:confused:I too have to lower the trailer in the water,when buddy drives it on it's lower than the front roller,I have to back in a little more to lower the roller under the rubber lip.When I do that I can winch it up but the boat wants to float sideways over the fenders.Buddy has to jump out and hold the boat steady while I pull forward:)

The bunks are non-adjustable height wise, only angle. The axle is on top of the springs, which according to the Karavan assembly manual, is correct. If the bunks were just 1-2" higher, it would be no problem at all!!!

do you have any pics of your trailer????

Last edited by a moderator:
kwiktsi,I just went out and measured my boat on the trailer,It's an 05 but basically brand new.There is 2" between the hull and the axle,no broken springs,the top of the 2x4 to the top of the foward Xmember is 7",the top of the 2X4 to the top of the rear Xmember is 6".At these measurements the boat will hit the bunks before the axle.It seems to me the only way to hit the axle would be if the bunks were lower than it:confused:I too have to lower the trailer in the water,when buddy drives it on it's lower than the front roller,I have to back in a little more to lower the roller under the rubber lip.When I do that I can winch it up but the boat wants to float sideways over the fenders.Buddy has to jump out and hold the boat steady while I pull forward:)
I have to check mine, but sounds about the same. I can always load it as you do, I just a) don't want to get wet and b) there is a lot of traffic at my local ramp and people get to be pricks if you take too long, so you almost feel pressured to get in and out as fast as possible. I saw some guys trying to load a broken boat onto a trailer and people were beeping and cursing at them because they were taking longer than they thought they should :(.

I have to check mine, but sounds about the same. I can always load it as you do, I just a) don't want to get wet and b) there is a lot of traffic at my local ramp and people get to be pricks if you take too long, so you almost feel pressured to get in and out as fast as possible. I saw some guys trying to load a broken boat onto a trailer and people were beeping and cursing at them because they were taking longer than they thought they should :(.
I wouldnt care let the ***holes wait

I have to look at how the trailer sits when attached. I don't think the ball is too high/low, it is a 98 Jimmy with the stock hitch, nothing too big.

I was looking at the boat and trailer just now and realized it is the axle it is hitting mostly (can see the rub marks on it). I can't even fit my fist between the axle and bottom of the boat, is it supposed to sit this low on the trailer? Once the trailer is on an angle, the boat V sits between the bunks until after it hits the axle, then it starts to ride up on the bunks. Pisses me off that my brand new boat is nicked/chipped/scratched to hell from this. I think the bunks need to be about 1-2" higher and it would make life so much easier all around..

i think we need some pics, the bunks are adjustable, well ive never seen a trailer that they arnt..most of the time the dealer doesnt spend any time adjusting them..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back