N20

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

manicmechanic

Nos

Anyone ever tried to use the NOS injection for a mod? If so, how did it work out for you. I'm thinking about giving it a try. Only worry is it may overheat. What do you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
NOS on a 2 stroke? That would be interesting...kinda like the 4th of July! Lots of fireworks...:ack:

i have read it works good you just need to know what you are doing or it will cost you alot$$$$$$ it is supose to be one of the cheapest mods. but I do not know if any of this is to be fact.

I heard someone in another forum was doing a NOS mod on a 2 stroke watercraft...than one day he stopped posting...not a word since...hhmmm.

cheap mod...

It's a cheap mod but one that you do have to be careful with. I want to find a solenoid that will work with the throttle so that I make sure it's only being used while I'm at WOT......if your NOS is running through the engine and you let up off the throttle, it must be stopped or you'll burn a hole through the piston fast. And it can only be used in bursts. You can't leave it on. It is a real touchy system.............but a cheap way to beat someone on the hole shot!

Uh, you could use a double finger throttle, with a spring load on it for full throttle use only. Let it go and it returns, closed.
Karl

Nos....

Although I'm familar with NOS kits, I don't think you can easily install one and make it co-exist with 2-cyle oil systems. The reason being, the NOS burns really hot, you'll loss your lubrication. And the oil you are injecting from your pump, would probably flash off rather than lubricate. Even if you added more oil, when you were'nt at WOT with the nitrous in use, you'd oil foul your plugs. Nitrous can only be used during acceleration and only for short bursts or you'll burn a hole in your piston.
I'd say no, I don't think it can be done. Not by research, only by logic. And I've never heard or seen anyone who's done it.

:agree: I have never seen it on a 2 stoke for that reason...I stated that in an earlier post.

laughing gas and speed

here is a site you can get your self a nos kit for your seadoo if you like. it looks like they have kits fromm small cc 1 cylinder engines up to what ever you can think of. 2 cycle and 4 cycle but I do not think I would do this as I would be afraid that I might not get some thing set right. or if you do read other info on this allso as i have seen some issue that are inportant and are related to other mods, as well as this mod. address all issues and you just might be happy.http://www.magnumforceracing.com/nitrous_oxide_systems_motorcycles.asp ps I am new to this subject so please excuse my mistakes and correct them thank you. robin

Great job Robin!

Great job Robin.....If we ever look for another moderator, my vote will be cast for you!....
I check out all the links you post so that I can see what you see. That way, I keep an open mind as to your thoughts on a subject.
I sent an email to their tech support because I have questions as to the safe operation of NOS on a 2 cycle engine; I'll post there reply when I get an answer.
In a 4 stroke, there is no problem with adding the NOS systems for additional horsepower because you don't burn oil for lubrication. But if your not fully aware of the use of NOS, it's a very powerful and combustable gas. And it's not a "laughing" matter. Nitrous can only be used or regulated when the throttle is wide open and then only for a burst to accelerate. Once the engine is close to reaching max rpm, you must disengage the NOS before easing off the throttle or cylinder overheat and damage can and will occur.
I used it in my high performance 350 cu.in. Chevy motor by putting on a fogger plate between my Holley carb and the aluminum intake manifold. The normal place to mount the solenoid switch was under the gas peddle, that way, you were always assured the throttle plates were wide open. Bottle mounted under or behind the drivers seat for easy access to the bottles valve.
In a 2-cycle engine, where we rely on our premix or injection system to provide lubrication, this NOS system will dilute the oiling affect. It would be the same as changing the oil ratio from a 50:1 mix to a 75:1 (not researched) mix ratio.
Nitrous burns like hydrogen. Clean and hot. And I mean very hot. So before any of you decide to take on this idea of burning nitrous for an extra increase in horsepower, I suggest you do all your homework before wasting your engine.

from what I read it allows you to burn more fuel than what your engine is capable of in the state that your engine is in. by adding more oxygen to the combustion chamber. this info may not be correct but it sounds good. if this info is not correct please explain so we will all know. thanks robin

Basically.....

Basically, you are correct. It's an oxidizer type chemical. But when mixed with fuel, it's like changing the composition of the fuel. That's why it burns so much hotter. It allows the mix of N20 and O2 to atomize to the point, there is basically nothing left over.
In a 2 cycle engine, you need something left over to control the amount of heat and friction being made at 7000 rpm. With the addition of the N20, you'll only reach that top speed faster; it won't actually let you go any faster on top end, by theory anyway....because of the rev limiter.
I'm sitting on the middle of the fence at the moment with this until I hear something from the tech rep I wrote to earlier. But if it's feasible and the oiling or lack there of has no impact on the engine, then this would be a way of getting that hole shot. It would also allow those to go to a deeper pitch impeller, which would normally cause you to lose lower end, to gain it back and even make a little more speed top end.
So for the moment, I'm gonna remain neutral on the issue until more comes in on it.

a few people have used nos kits for dirt bikes for hill climbing and other things. there 2 strokes. some of them 500cc two strokes. you would need a wet kit. this injects extra fuel with the injection of nos. also you can only inject on full throttle only. if you premixed your fuel you would recieve oil/gas and nos when you activate it.

heres a link to a cr500 with nitrous:
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578854&highlight=nitrous

the other problem is the rev limiter. it will shut you down at 7000 whether it is a stock 580 or 350 horsepower 951.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back