My Sportster Does not start!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct....

Then it sounds like your post is going to be o.k. and that the problem will most likely be in your cap.
I'd like to go over test one, just one more time to be sure.
If you set the meter, which I think you said is not digital, and hold the two probes apart, the reading on that gage is an open reading. When you touch those two electrodes together, that reading is a closed reading.
So as long as when you do test one, the reading on your gage is the same as the reading with them not touching anything and apart, then your readings are correct.
Believe me, this is difficult for me to understand too. My forte is mechanical...not electrical. I can do my own electrical because I can sit there and study it as I'm doing my test.
But if your sure of those readings, then the only thing left is the DESS lanyard cap. Which means it has to go to a dealer for a new lanyard key and programming.
Here, it cost about $75 dollars for one key and program. It can usually be done in one day.
Just be satisified with your results that you got on your post. Then, the latter will be your next step.
As long as all your fuses are o.k. and your battery terminals have good contact and your ground is tight to the engine block, that's all you have left to check..............good luck.....:cheers:

OK... I did all tests one more time! same results with tests 2 through 4. However test 1, I have the (-) pole of my devise on black wire and (+) pole on black/ yellow; the gage is somewhere in between! not all the way down to close and not all the way to open! when I reverse the poles, the gage goes closer to open circuit, but not all the way.
So something does not make sense, it should be the same in both conditions. I am a civil engineer, but I remember some elec from high school! So my concusion is that the post is BAD. What do you think? Maybe I can replace the post to see what happens. If so, do you know any authrized retailer here in CA 92626? I dont wanna get after market stuff and make things worst.
OK I talk too much!

Post....

I'm in question as to your post being bad. I think with your results, especially being somewhat "mixed", you may want to replace it. You can go to your local SeaDoo shop and see what there replacement cost is, then compare it to an online distributer. If this were me and in my opinion, I'd buy and try it first. Only because, if it worked, I just saved myself a bundle from not taking it to the shop, second, if it isn't the post, then I'll have one on hand as a spare. Your part number is SKU 278001734 and it will cost about $87.49 plus shipping if you get it online.
If you go this route, make sure you've checked all your fuses and have it narrowed down to that post. From what I"ve read of your entries, I just can't see what else it can be. Except the lanyard cap itself, but then you should still get a beep, one that it's bad......

Last edited by a moderator:
........uh, buyer beware?

uh, that friend of mine I told you about who has the 96 Challenger I pulled the engine for. Well, she bought a post and cap along with a few other items and guess what.........the post was a "pull" item from another boat and it didn't work.
So, like my old bud Karl says about e-bay......."buyer beware"!:)

Hey guys, I am back! I got a new in the package post made in Canada from Ebay for $85.00. I replaced it with the old one and this is the result: As soon as I put the key on the post, it gives short beeps and it won't stop untill I take the key off the post. They are short beeps not long! If I push the start button while the key is on, I get two different results: Either the beeps change to longer lauder beeps or I hear some low TIK TIK noise from the engine. I think the noise is from the distributor.
Alright! What's next? I am getting really excited!

If the lanyard beeps continual it means it isn't matched to the mpem. Are you sure you have the correct cap for the post? Is it a new cap too?

No, the cap is what I had before. The last time I tried to use the boat, I got the same beep and I had to take the boat out of water. After a few days, I thought maybe something is wrong with the battery and changed it. Then I didnt get any beeps at all. Going back and forth, we found out that the post was broken and now, I am back to my original problem. But at least I have a new post and new battery. So, do you think I have to change the key as well?

If the beep is continual it means it isn't the correct lanyard cap that matches to the mpem. If you used someone elses cap it would do the same thing. Did you have the doo running with the same lanyard cap you have now?

I haven't had time as I have have been working putting a roof on my boat lift to protect my Speedster from the ridiculous sun this summer...Started at 6:00 am and just finished...I'll try and hit the manual in a little bit, I need a dip in the pool and a cold beer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back