RESTO My Rocketship Racing HX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Braley

Premium Member
Premium Member
This ragged ole HX hull came across the FL Classifieds thread a good while back and I recognized it right away. At first I thought it was Chris Fischetti's boat but he is always #300. My friend who raced back then(and still races now) remembered the ski. It was ridden by the guy who ran the Florida ski shop that the Fischetti's owned at the time. I still loved the look and the history so I pushed for it.

Nammer was kind enough to go over there, buy it with his own hundred till I could pay him back, store it, and then cart it up the state of Fl to my Dad and Brother's business. It sat right there in the rain and sun for months but there is no hurting the condition of this thing. The hull obviously was in a bad accident and never put back together. Luckily someone repaired the fiberglass but that was it. It looks like it has not missed a day outside since haha.

I know a good bit about that race team and even have a X4 myself that was built by Pop's Fichetti so I knew it would be worth having. I was not disappointed. This has the 96XP sponsons in front and I've been told that a lot of racers copied that at the time. They also glassed in extra strakes at the edges of the hull.

Here is how I brought it home. The seat was just held on by the shock.

My dad traded a mini-bike scooter thing that he got for free for a complete HX minus engine and Ebox. That and getting moved into my new home really got this project moving. I had bought a Jettrim splash guard and seat cover previously so I put the splash guard on while I was moving the rails over.

I Purple Powered and pressure washed the keeper hull out and all the donor parts that I moved over as well.

I picked that donor hull clean and took it to work where I cut it up in pieces with a chainsaw and threw it in the dumpster

They had routed out the pump area so bad it wouldn't hold a grate anymore so I started right from the fiberglass and added everything.

I gave it a Westcoast ride plate and a Jet Dynamics Avenger grate(#A6)

Here is a pic of the inside front right. It's kinda ugly but strong at least. I found a black front eyelet and installed it with a tow loop(you can see the two nuts and washers)

Now I'm a mid 90's aftermarket Seadoo part kinda guy and I could bring myself to make it a stock boat with this look and history. I got a deal on an old Novi built fully ported 717 based race engine. The cylinders were 84mm and fully ported out with a Billet head so I swapped them out for a fresh OEM top end. I just had to calm it down a bit because I want to be able to run pump gas and get more then 30min ride time out of a tank. Check out this port work! I have no idea how the old Gurus could get it so perfect around a curve. This was not just some dude with a Dremel, lol.

I'm rocking a billet purple Jetenetics lightweight flywheel and what I believe to be early Novi carbs. I can't prove that though but they are a neat set of 44mm SBN's that have been taper bored above the butterfly and had early Novi style bomb sights added.

I'm running a Factory pipe but not just any Factory pipe(not original stock OEM pipe but FPP Factory Pipe Products aftermarket I know that name can be confusing) it's the Chamber from Fish's old #300 racing HX! Notice the added jetted fitting

Since I'm dropping some coin in at this point and need to get the rubber to the road..... It gets a Skat Trak Magnum pump with brand new impeller!

I've got a lot more inside pics to show soon but here is my setup I'll be looking at. From left to right.... PJS grips, Magura fluid lever for the R&D hydraulic trim, Racepak handlebar button, UMI steering(try finding that on the used market) with period correct handle bar pad, Racepak Hot Tach, OEM fuel gauge, UMI start/stop button holder, and PJS trigger throttle with UMI cable adapter.

There is no beating Jettrim!!! Check out this seat they made for it. I love the stitching and the ostrich material. They even put a "Flying Fish" logo on it because that was Fishetti's nickname back then. I used the seat shock from an old Yamaha PW80 minibike because an old racer told me about that trick. It's lighter and performs better than the OEM one.

I fired it up today and it sounds AWESOME!!! Tomorrow it gets new Hydro-Turf anf FL #'s.

I'm so glad I got all this up. I've been wanting to share for a while. All questions and comments welcome. Thanks for checking it out.

You must have 3 of everything! I can imagine your parts stash, kinda like me with big block Chevy parts!
Like your garage- real cool covered area, is their a parts stash attic up there?

That's awesome Matt, I live the look. The case work is amazing. Keep the pics coming, please.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I have not moved any parts or tools to my house yet. I did the initial tear down there as well as the splash guard, rails and ride plate there. It gave me a way to keep busy in the evenings because it stays light now for so long. My parts and most of the build took place at work. I have gaps during the day when things are going well so I pick at it then. Yes my parts stash is immense. It would be impressive if organized but it's not yet unfortunately. The closed part of my garage at home is getting impressive though.

The head is not shaved. To run pump fuel with such an aggressive pipe and the port work I had to back off somewhere. The water injection gets the 717's out of the hole real well, they don't benefit as much from the compression bump like 787's. Factory pipes are famous for burning up pistons so less squish and more compression would add more risk then performance in this case.

Last edited by a moderator:
HOLD UP.

I think you missed something!

I read "Chain saw and hull"... and someone didn't get a video?! For shame.... lol.

Yeah that sawing was about the least fun part. That fiberglass dust made my arms itch. I put the hull out by the road for a while hoping it would disappear but no luck. I felt bad because I rent the tree service lot to the nice Italian restaurant at night and hate to trash it up.

I got a lot done today. It's done actually except for the riding and tuning. I've had Hydro-Turf for this forever. It's from the mid 90's so I like that, not sure if a new set would be any different. In the original center rows of sponsor decals the HT fish sticker was trashed so I was happy to have freshies to go back in the original spots.

The guy I bought my old Fischetti built X4 from was sponsored by Skat Trak and I got all his decals. It pays to be a hoarder because I had the exact ones.

Unfortunately I got crossed with the Cometic decals that were made for it. The dimensions are the same but as you can see the originals were smaller and said gasket underneath. These would be too prominent and I don't want it referred to as "that Cometic ski" haha.

Brushing on Weldwood for the turf. I left the ole turf and padding on the outside of the inside. I picked up these Seadoo stickers of Ebay a while back and decided to spend them on the rear hatch.

Had the sign shop print me off some reg #'s today and this is where I hid them

R&D reduction nozzle with Westcoast steering nozzle

Turf Shot

It's busy back here under the hatch. I have a 96 waterbox with most of the water flow fittings replaced with brass plugs

The R&D hydraulic trim from a RXX is a nice choice here because it does not take up much space

I realize that I'll have to throw that heavy hood up a lot while tuning. I took two shocks from a Speedster and installed stainless steel strut mounts to hold them. This beats the heck out of the original kick stand design. Notice the wires going up. The HX's of 95 and 96 had no gauges but luckily they made me a place for some.

A friend made me a carbon fiber cap a while back and I decided to use it here

Here is a better strut pic. Lou mention the Duracell AGM batteries that came out with a two year warranty so I got on that.

Brand new Westcoast flame arrestor

These remote fuel pumps should be mounted remotely. Racers say the vibration from the engine can create air bubbles so I got under one of the front sponson nuts

Here is a pic toward the back. I'm using Factory pipe billet filters because I don't want to clog up the jetted fittings and they are great to tie water lines into.

The other billet filter runs the water injection and the added chamber fitting

Now it hangs in the hanger waiting for a test and tune

Looking tight! Out of curiosity, what nut is used to hold the hydraulic trim to the pump support? I know it's tight in there. I see those baker set ups use the stock plastic nut. Would that fit if I were to get a baker?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

Yes the stock VTS nut seems to fit all the different aftermarket trim systems. The Baker models usually come with a billet version of the nut.

Matt- your attention to detail and passion is truly inspiring! You need to open a museum! Amazing.

Thank you very much. Museums are organized and I'm a mess but you guys are always welcome to stop buy and check it out.

Freaking awesome! I'm excited to hear how well this one runs

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Wow. How did you clean the hull so well without affecting those old stickers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back