My options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shucky

Well not so good news from the workshop this close to summer, seems the main bearing on the crankshaft has decided it no longer wants to play.
The cost of a reconditioned motor is about 4K, would it be cheaper to rebuild, or not.
The bottom end and such is still ok as I'm told.
Metal shavings was found in the oil filter and filter case.

Sorry to hear this shucky, is the $4k price tag for a completely remanufactured (as new) engine with a specific warranty and does this price require a core return of your failed engine?

I'm not sure what refurbished means in this case, in the US it might mean a used engine that's been cleaned and painted on the outside with a few new wear-parts replaced such as water pump, thermostat or perhaps oil pump.

Depending on how much damage occurred, the failed engine might be a candidate for remanufacturing or it might be scrap metal. There may be some parts inside worth saving thus probably has some core value.

I'm pretty bummed out over it sportster,
Yes the 4K is a completely rebuilt motor that price is with the core for my old one, there is a warranty just not sure how much of one or even what it covers at least the moment.
As for the damage that's happened I'm unsure of it at the moment, ( going to pick it up today) which I'll k ow more then though the mechanic did say the bottom and and case is still good.
I'm thinking I'd be able to reuse the drive shaft which was recently put in new amoung other parts.
My biggest hang up would be getting parts as they are hard to find here not to mention having to cut off a arm and leg to get'em.

4 grand is 4 grand.. Whether you simply re-engine it or rebuild it, it will be 4 grand.

For that reason, I would do research on the warranty as compared to your two options. I am betting a re-engine is the better way to go from the aspect of future warranty.

$4k seems like you're getting a reasonable deal, IMO, considering. If you want to feel better about it just have a look at a newer model, they're over 300HP now, and wowsa expensive $$$ ! They are quite nice though, successive models improve like a fine wine.

Spun 1 bearing on the crankshaft and 2 others are showing major wear.
The mechanic reckons the crankshaft and crank case is no good, everything else is useable.

Just sent off a few emails for quotes waiting on SBT to get back to me.
Quoted 2350 from another place.

Spun 1 bearing on the crankshaft and 2 others are showing major wear.
The mechanic reckons the crankshaft and crank case is no good, everything else is useable.

This can happen if oil pressure is too low for some reason. The wrong weight or type of oil can be the cause.

Another possibility is if the impeller becomes loose on it's shaft the impeller can walk forward and begins pushing the driveshaft forward into the crankshaft, this forces the crankshaft forward and will wipe out the crankshaft thrust bearing. Then it's all down hill from there.

This can happen if oil pressure is too low for some reason. The wrong weight or type of oil can be the cause.

Another possibility is if the impeller becomes loose on it's shaft the impeller can walk forward and begins pushing the driveshaft forward into the crankshaft, this forces the crankshaft forward and will wipe out the crankshaft thrust bearing. Then it's all down hill from there.

Thanks for that info sportster,
I'm being advised the crankshaft and case can be machined? ( someone mechanical ) that the fam knows, he's cluie with motors.
If they be machined and oversize bearings ran in it, thus checking all other internals valves, pistons and so on, what's the chances.
IMG_1446.JPG

I would check a lot of resources before picking one.

Craigs
eBay
Google
Classifieds on this site
etc

I've had a look online sent a few emails and got 1 place to answer the phone as most close mid day on Saturdays here in Aussie land, got quoted there for 2350 + shipping and core. That's for a brand new crankshaft $1100 and he's trying to sale me a 2nd hand block ( I'm told I only need the crank case if that sounds right?) $1250
Just waiting to hear back from the others Monday or so.

Yes, you need a remanufactured block (crankcase = Block = same thing) or have this one machined to next oversize bearing(s) (machinsts decisions) and line-bored to make them all aligned straight in a row parallel.

Once the crank is finally bolted back in place, it should rotate quite easily, it shouldn't be difficult to turn (due to misalignment or clearance issues).

A good machine shop should be able to fit new oversize bearings, maybe they can turn your crank but it looks like the thrust surface is wiped out? A good machine shop might be able to fix this crank.

And wow, maybe it's no longer a big deal these days but I didn't realize this crank is rolled fillet. See the fillets crimped into both edges of the bearing journal? These are actually crimped there to make the crankshaft stronger. Used to be they only do this on serious racing engines. So if they turn the crank journal some og that will go away but looks like they don't have to take much off, the thrust surface is the worst part.

And the whole block has to be flushed and cleaned, all galleys scrubbed out using brushes and solvent and all bearings replaced and clearance checked due to metal bits everywhere. Plastigauge measurement is unacceptable for these close tolerances, they must use mechanical gauges. New oil pump, most likey. The connecting rods will have to be checked for straightness and straightened if they're bent. Equipment for straightening and resizing rods is costly, a good machine shop will have this.

So I'm not sure it's worth trying to repair this motor via a local machine shop vs returning it as a core to the remanufacturer and getting a warranty. The remanufacturer will have all the correct tooling to do this work.

I'm pretty sure the remanucacturer will be able to rework this block and maybe the crank too. A good fully-equipped and experienced machine shop should be able to do this work, but it might be his 1st Seadoo engine?

Funny thing, this year I replaced a couple mercruiser engines with "reman" from our supplier but actually they were brand new including the block, there were no recycled parts at all but they were offered as reman.

So what killed thisr motor, was the impeller loose? It looks like maybe it was, based on the crankshaft was shoved forward, the crankshaft thrust surface chewed against/through the thrust bearing and cut into the block web? This bearing shell doesn't look to have spun, another one did?

Anyway, good luck. I think this failure began outside the engine, not internally.

Here's a rear main bearing bearing that's been in service for decades, it shows a bit of grit has gone through it at one point but still was in acceptable condition to continue using IMO. Regardless, it was replaced while the opportunity presented itself.

Attachments

• 231 Rear Bearing Okay xavtp5.jpg
    231 Rear Bearing Okay xavtp5.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 17
Perhaps you should consider moving to the USA. Weed, same sex marriage, and cheap boat parts are all legal here. At least one of those would probably interest you.

Perhaps you should consider moving to the USA. Weed, same sex marriage, and cheap boat parts are all legal here. At least one of those would probably interest you.

Lmao
Just moved out of the U.S in 02.
FIY can grow one out door here is south aus without criminal charge, not interested in same sex, parts well they just bend over the counter and give it to ya without a kiss in return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back