My Next bike.......

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

Dr Honda

Hi Guys,

Well... since I closed my shop... I haven't given my Victory any attention. And to be honest... it's not really "me". I only had it because my dad didn't like me riding around with him on a sport bike. But now... my dad sold his bike... and so did my brother.

So... it's time for the Vic to leave.

I've owned every type, and manufacture of motorcycle out there... and there are only a few avenues that I haven't explored. So... beleave it or not... the 2 bikes that keep coming up to the top of the group are...

1) Honda Grom. OK... I know. It's not even a real motorcycle. But they are cheap, and they look like fun. Besides... there are other bikes in the stable to ride when I need a speed fix. And... this is basically a street legal version of the stupid pit bike I ride around on.

2) Honda Goldwing. (+2006) I wouldn't buy one new, just because they are known to go well over 200,000 miles without an issue. I can get a 2006~2010 for under $13k at the local dealer. (half price of new) He has a 2008 with only 4500 miles on it. It's basically new. AND... since I don't know if I really want a beast such as this... I would take a beating if I bought a new one, and tried to sell it in a year or so. With a big bike... I may be able to get the wife to come out for a ride... and with all the storage on it... I could even use it on small grocery runs. Heck... if I sell my skis next year, and buy a Spark... I could just use the Goldwing to tow it to the lake. (lol)

Just to let you guys know... there are a bunch of other bikes on my short list... but I'm favoring one of those.

The real pisser on this, is the POOR resale on the Vic. It was a $15,000 bike... and the going price is only about $5k. Honestly... its worth more as parts. But, I'll see what it's worth as a trade first.

Give me your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
The grom is more of a road legal "monkey" or "pit bike". fun for a bit, but you'll get very very bored quickly.

The Goldwing is great, but a lot of money. I MEAN A LOT.

Also, look at a VTX, and the Yamaha Royal Star (Venture and Tour De Lux). I've owned every one of these bikes, and I've LOVED them. I change bikes every season or so. Right now, I have 5 bikes and a Moped. So, I like variety. Royal Star and Gold wing are neck and neck (in my opinion). The Royal star I liked better. But, that Goldwing is a technological marvel. I like the V-4 of the Royal star. The Goldwing is too smooth (for me). It didn't feel like I had an engine between my legs. The power is great.

Both these bikes are very top heavy (at slow speed). But, over 10-15 MPH, you'll forget you have fully bagged out touring bikes underneath you.

Just get one, and you'll be happy.

I had a harley, too. But, they vibrate a lot. You'll attract other harley riders. And even though some are nice, I'm not the biggest harley crowd type-of-guy.

P.s. Notice I capitalized Honda and Yamaha, but not harley.

I've owned a few Harley's over the years. My Buell is basically a Harley... and I had a FatBob for a few years. I understand the appeal of the brand... but for the most part... I see it as a cult religion. (lol)

As far as your suggestions... I'm not really a "Cruiser" guy. That's why I'm getting rid of the Vic. And... to me... a "Bagger" is just a cruiser. Whereas, the Goldwing is truly it's own class of bike. As you said... smooth, and refined.

I guess that's where my problem is... since I'm not a cruiser guy... "Will the gold wing just be another cruiser?"

I had a Yamaha FJR1300 for a couple years. At first it was great. I had room for some gear, and some wind protection for longer rides. BUT... it was still a "Buzzy" sportbike engine... and it was a little numbing on longer rides. AND... then it just turned into a fat sport bike to me.

But... I guess I will never know if I don't try it. (The Goldwing)

Oh... and I think you are right about the Grom. It may be fun at first... but I could see the appeal wearing off quickly. If it was a small bike, with a 200cc or 250cc engine... that would be a good time, since it could go normal highway speeds.

As a final FYI... I almost bought a HyperStrata last week. (Ducati) It was the right price, and it's "My style"... but after a quick search... I guess they are full of electrical gremlins. (don't need that on a used bike)

I've owned a few Harley's over the years. My Buell is basically a Harley... and I had a FatBob for a few years. I understand the appeal of the brand... but for the most part... I see it as a cult religion. (lol)

As far as your suggestions... I'm not really a "Cruiser" guy. That's why I'm getting rid of the Vic. And... to me... a "Bagger" is just a cruiser. Whereas, the Goldwing is truly it's own class of bike. As you said... smooth, and refined.

I guess that's where my problem is... since I'm not a cruiser guy... "Will the gold wing just be another cruiser?"

I had a Yamaha FJR1300 for a couple years. At first it was great. I had room for some gear, and some wind protection for longer rides. BUT... it was still a "Buzzy" sportbike engine... and it was a little numbing on longer rides. AND... then it just turned into a fat sport bike to me.

But... I guess I will never know if I don't try it. (The Goldwing)

Oh... and I think you are right about the Grom. It may be fun at first... but I could see the appeal wearing off quickly. If it was a small bike, with a 200cc or 250cc engine... that would be a good time, since it could go normal highway speeds.

As a final FYI... I almost bought a HyperStrata last week. (Ducati) It was the right price, and it's "My style"... but after a quick search... I guess they are full of electrical gremlins. (don't need that on a used bike)
A grom would be sooooo much fun. I'm a sport bike guy, always have been a sport bike guy. To me modern sport bikes are the equivalent of super models. Sexy lines, tons of power, built to do nothing but kill you while you wear a smile riding em the whole time. :)

Cruisers to me are like fat redneck chicks. Sure you'll get there but she'll be heavy, slow and constantly have tons of bulginess that isn't really useful, all while not being much to look at.

If I was to get a bike today( sold my 636 2 years back), it'd likely be something other than a super sport. This is coming from someone that would put 14 hour riding days, most of those being mountain twisties, on a super sport like it was nothing. I love the speed triples, on the other end of the spectrum I love hyper motards. Knowing me I'd likely still fall back into old habits and get one of the big 3 600 super sports.

My buddy was a 636 nut. He's had 3 of them... and I helped him set one up as a track bike. (He was very fast) But... Since I'm a big boy... I always liked the torque of the liter bikes. But I understand about the "They try to kill you with a smile on your face." In the early 90's... I balled up my Bandit 1200 in Carbon Canyon (twisties) while riding with a few buddies. (When I lived in SoCal)

Since I beat myself up when I was younger (Racing MX and SCORE) I'm starting to have issues with my knees and back. So... I'm sorry to say that my supersport days are over. Even my Buell is hard on my knees being tucked up. If I get another sport bike... it will have to be a naked with a relaxed riding position. On that note... I always wanted a B-king. But all the one's I found local are all mod'ed, and the one stocker I found... the guy just wants too much for it.

So... I went to the local dealer today, and checked out the used Goldwings. There were several guys there that said they liked theirs... and it's the best bike they owned. But, I'm not sure. I've always been on 2 wheels... but ....

Don't know...

I think on some level this is why I was looking at the Grom. It's a new bike, and cheap enough to just pay cash. And none of the new sport bikes are "Exciting" enough for me to want to buy one. All the Jap 600 and 1000 bikes have kind of stayed the same over the last 10 years, and all the Euro bikes have gotten expensive.

I wish I could find a B-king that hasn't been molested, and the owner doesn't want an arm and a leg for it.

i know a few people with groms they end up riding them more then there big bikes, they all say they are twice the fun. I have head talk of big bore kits coming out for them and there seems to be a lot of aftermarket support.
if you are looking for a fun bike to ride around town i think that is the answer.

I know I can't ride a Grom on a long distance... but it would be fun to throw around.

Yes... there are a bunch of performance parts available. I think there are 180cc and 200cc BB kits. While it would be nice to have more power in a little bike... it's kind of defeating the intent of the bike. To me... there's no reason to throw $3000 in upgrades on a bike, that only costs $3000.

If it was a factory 200... I would already own it.

Stick with another BRP Product!! :)

Edit: Well, i read the forum in the Newest to Oldest. so now I see you started a new thread!! My experience on the Spyder was the same, but I blamed it on the Michigan roads causing it to get squirrelly..

Well... I think I've come to a conclusion.

I think I'm going to buy a Grom. Here's the thoughts on it....

1) It's cheap, and I can pay cash. OR... if the rates are good, the payment will be cheap.

2) I already ride around on a little XR50, chasing my kid around the back yard... and this can replace that.

3) If I put some on-off road tires on it... I can even use it at my off-road club for when my kid finally can go out on a trail ride.

4) Since it is cheap... I can get it, and still get my Gold wing next Spring. AND, I will have time to sell my Victory, opposed to trading it.

5) It just looks like fun.

Let me know what you guys think.

If it's a Goldwing (and still in OH)... we should talk.

Actually... one of the new adventure 700's Honda makes looks interesting too.

it seems like u have a lot of fun on the crf 50 of yours. i have had a few crf50s and klx 110s there always a blast to ride. i think the grom would be a good choice. There cheap and they seem to have a great resale value just incase u get bored with it.

I guess I missed your post Coastie. But... I got my new bike.

I decided I'm not old enough for a Goldwing yet... and I needed another toy/hooligan bike.

This little thing tops out at about 62mph... and just begs to be used in a bad manner. I only have 15 miles on it... but the front end has been off the ground at least a dozen times... and I did a couple stoppies. (lol) I'm either going to get into trouble, or hurt myself... but it's a fun little bike.

And yes... it's as small as it looks. It's 125cc's, and the tires are little 12" Scooter tires.

483.jpg

484.jpg

485.jpg

Well.... it was inevitable. My daredevil of a 3 year old wanted to ride the new bike. So... I gave in. She actually fits nice up front. She has a good foot hold on top of the engine case... and I can squeeze her with my legs.

We just went around the neighborhood at 10 mph. But she loved it.

501.jpg

Hi Guys,

Well... since I closed my shop... I haven't given my Victory any attention. And to be honest... it's not really "me". I only had it because my dad didn't like me riding around with him on a sport bike. But now... my dad sold his bike... and so did my brother.

So... it's time for the Vic to leave.

I've owned every type, and manufacture of motorcycle out there... and there are only a few avenues that I haven't explored. So... beleave it or not... the 2 bikes that keep coming up to the top of the group are...

1) Honda Grom. OK... I know. It's not even a real motorcycle. But they are cheap, and they look like fun. Besides... there are other bikes in the stable to ride when I need a speed fix. And... this is basically a street legal version of the stupid pit bike I ride around on.

2) Honda Goldwing. (+2006) I wouldn't buy one new, just because they are known to go well over 200,000 miles without an issue. I can get a 2006~2010 for under $13k at the local dealer. (half price of new) He has a 2008 with only 4500 miles on it. It's basically new. AND... since I don't know if I really want a beast such as this... I would take a beating if I bought a new one, and tried to sell it in a year or so. With a big bike... I may be able to get the wife to come out for a ride... and with all the storage on it... I could even use it on small grocery runs. Heck... if I sell my skis next year, and buy a Spark... I could just use the Goldwing to tow it to the lake. (lol)

Just to let you guys know... there are a bunch of other bikes on my short list... but I'm favoring one of those.

The real pisser on this, is the POOR resale on the Vic. It was a $15,000 bike... and the going price is only about $5k. Honestly... its worth more as parts. But, I'll see what it's worth as a trade first.

Give me your thoughts.
Hello Sir ,

Honda bike is very good and strong

Spice Merchants

Child Sexual AbuseCinema

Back