My new adventure

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look what arrived today. Couldn't do much with all the rain here in Houston, but the seat cover sure does look nice. Nice job jet trim!
221.jpg

Soft scrub with bleach works.

235.jpg

You can clearly see it takes off the oxidation and the stains. This is on the main hood. On the gauge cover, I'm going to have to try something else. The oxidation is still there.

That half took about 45 minutes. I started with a rag and applied soft scrub to it. Worked in small sections, and keep the product on the rag. I dipped the rag in a bucket of bleach water every now and then. Quarter cup of bleach to half gallon of water. Ring it out.

I'm impressed it worked so well. There's some dock scratches you can see in the picture on the dirty side. Still might have to get it painted.

Looks like I'll have to have some body work done to it. Has a very deep gouge in it. Looks like it took a nose dive into a dock. The small scratches I could deal with.
I'll post a pic. In the mean time, I will need the paint code, and find a shop that will fix the scrape and paint plastic.

239.jpg

It's like a dent/gouge . Going to need filler and paint. No doubt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like I'll have to have some body work done to it. Has a very deep gouge in it. Looks like it took a nose dive into a dock. The small scratches I could deal with.
I'll post a pic. In the mean time, I will need the paint code, and find a shop that will fix the scrape and paint plastic.

239.jpg

It's like a dent/gouge . Going to need filler and paint. No doubt.
I'm not sure filler will work on plastic. It has too much flex to it. Bondo gets hard it will eventually come off

I wouldn't put filler time into an elephant ear hood. I must have 4 of them here. If you want to get the cleaning job done faster use an orbital buffer with the soft scrub. Takes the elbow grease out of the job.

I wouldn't put filler time into an elephant ear hood. I must have 4 of them here. If you want to get the cleaning job done faster use an orbital buffer with the soft scrub. Takes the elbow grease out of the job.
Brilliant
243.jpg

Well, with a ski being 20 years old, stuff is bound to happen. As luck would have it, I went to take it for a ride today. Started right up with a push of the button. Battery light stayed on.....pull dess. Check connections, all good and tight. Dess on, ....nothing.
Pulled ebox and find 5 amp fuse popped. Ok, pop in new one. This time I have meter hooked up to battery. I show 12.58 v. Put dess on, start, drops to 12.04 and falling then ski dies.
Test 3 yellows from stator and the are WAY out of specs.
I am assuming that the spray from the Welch plug made it's way into the mag housing.....fml.
I'll pull it in the morning and see.
I have a spare that I tested. I get no movement on the meter between the 3 yellows. Is this correct? The one on the ski reads over 200 ohms or more. Iirc, it should be 0 to 1 ohm between any of the 3 yellows.

After further research, I have concluded the stator is bad. I get 249 ohms on 2 of the yellow wires. The used one I have reads 0 ohms to 0.1 ohms and the trigger reads 249. Strange that 249? But it is what it is.
Wish I would have found this BEFORE the pipe and mount replacement.

Pulled the cover off and now I can't get it out of the hull without lowering the engine back down. Geez, what a pain. Looks to been replaced recently.

Got it out. Now tests perfectly. I did find something.
262.jpg

Small nick in coating
263.jpg

Thoughts?

Ski would run long enough for me to check battery voltage and then 5 amp fuse would pop. Did this twice. Ran out of fuses.
While checking the battery, it was not showing it was charging, was discharging.

Fixed the nick with some epoxy. I personally think it happened during removal from the hull.

Put it all back together, and still pops the fuse. Had a spare regulator, and got some fuses.
With the spare regulator intalled, still popped fuse.

Unplugged the red wire from the regulator and it ran fine, no fuse popped.

Tested ac from the stator, got a good solid 45 volts ac.
So, is this 2 bad regulators, or a bad mpem?
Both regulators are used.

Edit. I also disconnected the vts from the equation, and still have the issue

Picked up a parts ski
317.jpg

Has a grate, sponsons, finger throttle, decent hood, vts stuff (spare), pump....no engine, no ebox.
75.00. Nice

It's a jet dynamics intake grate, gt finger throttle with the pad cover part, and a set of beach house looking sponsons.
I actually bought it for the hood, vts gauge and vts actuator rod. I thought it was a good score once I seen it. Didn't know it had all that on there. I just wanted pics of the hood and gauge.

Got the vts/mpem issue fixed. It was the vts. Installed the grate, sponsons, and gt finger throttle last weekend and ran great!

So, now to the gsx.....
To date, all I have done is replace the complete steering assembly from handle bars to nozzle. Just rebuilt carbs, raves, drained blue oil and flushed the rv chamber. Replaced oil filter, lines, oil. Replaced fuel lines to and from carbs. Not hooked up yet. Had to see if it would even run.....

https://youtu.be/Q3B7xYnoTvw

Working so far. Now for the pipes.

Not the best idea to start it without a pipe. The two strokes need it to scavenge the fuel charge. At least you don't have to worry about burning a valve though.

The gsx is almost ready for the water. I needed a set of sponsons, and this year is a one off year. I really haven't invested a lot of time in finding a set. I have tossed around making my own like a beach house design. Sourcing the plastic has been slow.
While searching cl for parts, I found another 96 gsx, complete. I hate to raid this one for parts, cause they are somewhat rare. It's in pretty rough shape, but it's complete, and is restorable. Even has the factory key.
Where are you guys getting the plastic for the sponsons? The hardware is easy, it's the block/plate plastic I'm looking for. I will probably pull the factory ones off the one I just got and put on the wife's ski, but, I really like the way my xp handles with the beach house parts. I think I will build this new ski for myself or as a spare for friends.
Got the ski for a REALLY good deal. Still haven't paid over 250 for any of my skis yet.

Should I cut this up or rebuild? How rare are they really? I can get the title, it's the stickers and sponsons that are keeping me in limbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back